I NEED ANWSERS: EVERYONE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT AND EXPERTESE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2002, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
keyser soze EAFALCON

I NEED ANWSERS: EVERYONE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT AND EXPERTESE

Alright i need something cleared up.. dont want any remarks about how commodores are shit cause i already know that ;-) i just want to know the truth..

Tell me if this is right..

All commodores ever since the VR series in executive and better models have a V6 engine usually 3.8L this is standard and not an extra feature.

And your FORD (Rules) falcon doesnt have a V6 or V8 engine but has a 4L engine unless you get a xr 6 or xr 8 ..

Now why has the commodore give its stardard cars a v6 and ford falcons only get a standard 4l engine unless you get a xr ??

I always thought a V6 was alot more powerful than your standard engine.

So example.. I own a normal EB 4l 4speed auto and i want to drag a Commadore VR Series 2 (which has a standard V6 engine) 3.8L 4 speed auto .. wouldnt i loose badly unless i had a xr6 ???

Please tell me what i have right or wronge here and why this is.. THANKS PEOPLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2002, 00:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: I NEED ANWSERS: EVERYONE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT AND EXPERTES

nup youve got it wrong. the power of the engines doesnt matter much if its a v6 or straight 6, in fact i believe the straight engines like in the falcons are better. v6 engines are mostly used because they fit in a smaller space.
and its all commodores since the vn that has v6's. and the xr6's have straight 6's like the other falcons.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:11   #3 (permalink)
keyser soze EAFALCON

why are xr6s called xr6 if they dont have a V6.. and why are they more powerful ???and are xr8s have a v8 ?? and if i wanted a powerful commypore i would have to get a V8 ?? or supercharged v6 ???

thanks
Old 04-29-2002, 08:39   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

No Falcon has ever had a V6. The 6 in XR6 denotes the number of cylinders, though there was a Capri XR2 which was a 4 cylinder (possibly turbo), so it's not to be taken too seriously.

As said above, V and inline 6 cylinder layouts have good and bad points over each other.

If you want a powerful car, you could modify a base Falcon six/Commodore V6, or start with a more powerful variant for easier results.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:43   #5 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

dude...

XR8 = V8
XR6 = Inline 6 Cylinder
Standard Falcon = Inline 6 Cylinder

The inline six has more power and torque than commodores V6.

I believe that EB XR6's beat EB XR8's?
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:22   #6 (permalink)
mitda001

Bloody hell.

The comment made about V6's being smaller is right.

Evere since Holden released that barstard (VN) everyone referes to a six as a V6.

God it pisses me off. What's your Falcon got in it? A V8 V6? 4 cylinder? Rotary with twin scroll bakers delight turbo rolls? Just drives me ****ing nuts.

All Falcons, if they are a six are a STRAIGHT or INLINE six. Are there 2 banks of 3 cylinders?...no I don't think so.

This is not to berate or abuse you in any way as this is a common problem in the wider community, and it's really them I'm abusing as the're not clever enough to ask the question in the first place. So congrats to you my friend. :)

Just to add a bit extra, the XR6 is modified. That's why it goes harder.

There are a variety of reasons why cars perform the way they do. Gearing, power, and weight are the most common. The standard commodore has 125 (VN)-152(VX) of power, but low gearing in first with lighter weight to be able to drag the falcon.

The Falcon has 120(EA CPI)-139(EA MPI) - 157 (EF on), but higher gearing in first with more weight. So it struggles a bit off the line in comparision. At highway speeds or more, the Falcon will kill any non-supercharged commy V6....simply though this extra power.

To check if the car has an inline motor or not, look at the spark plugs. Are they all down one side? If so it's inline and not a v motor, as v motor will have spark plugs on either side.

Hey if it's good enough for BMW...it's good enough for us.

The best angle for a v6 is 60 degrees, but Holden gets them at 90, and they're rough as shit because of it.

David

David.
Old 04-29-2002, 13:16   #7 (permalink)
keyser soze EAFALCON

Re: Bloody hell.

thanks EVERYONE who replied.. my eyes are now wide open.. that really shits me though when you walk down the street and see V6 on the side of a car you want to know that its a BEAST !!! not something that can be taken down by normal 6 cylinder.

So what you are saying is if i want a good commy it would have to be either a v8 or v6 supercharged??????????????

I am looking at an ef xr6 what kw does it produce.. how good is the economy.. does it kick your average cars arse in performance..

thanks again
Old 04-29-2002, 14:03   #8 (permalink)
mitda001

16 v nos turbo supercharged intercooled lightburn zeta.

The badging V6 on the side of the car is usually there for a wank. It's sorta saying my dicks bigger than your dick kinda thing....

Look at any late 80's early 90's jap effort with 16V twin cam intercooled turbocharged stuck on the flanks of the car. It's not as good as the boyz who put v8 badges on their v6 commy's.

Yes a v8 or supercharged v6 commy goes well.

Ef xr's put out 164 kw at the flywheel, and give reasonable economy for the size of car.
Old 04-29-2002, 20:21   #9 (permalink)
keyser soze EAFALCON

Re: 16 v nos turbo supercharged intercooled lightburn zeta.

alright thanks for the info...

well im seriously thinking about getting the 95 EF xr6..now you say it puts out 164kw now i know for a fact that for 96-97 model calais with a HEC Supercharged 3800 ECOTEC V6 puts out 165 kW @ 5200 RPM so i see the 95 EF keeps up in power very well for an older car (just, but im sure with performance upgrades it will rock) what about fuel ecomomy.. you say it is resonable for its size.. the calais Supercharged V6 Automatic: 13.5 / 7.8 (L/100km) City / Highway can you give exact figures for the EF xr 6??

please help.. thanks in advance..
Old 04-29-2002, 21:10   #10 (permalink)
ScoopED

Re: 16 v nos turbo supercharged intercooled lightburn zeta.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it is not a HEC 3800 V6 it is actually a Buick (GM) based engine. So it is a Buick 3800 V6.

The 4.0L Falcons also have more torque than the V6 holdens

ScoopED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub