I need help from WA. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 05:05   #1 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

I need help from WA.

Howdy folks..
Ive just flown back to Perth for another week R&R when I was driving home down belmont ave & got pulled over by 2 Chips officers (Motorbike Traffic off.)
The low end of the story was he asked me to open the bonnet & sqizzed around for ten minutes and came up with this.....
I apparently need a permit for the K&N Pod filter , the Trick flow heads, Edelbrock manifold & the sierra style bonnet vents need a plate under them just incase i have an oil leak which gets sucked through them & onto the windscreen. I guess this i can kinda relate too.
He let me off with a warning & told me to do something about the loud exhaust note & the car could do with a tune up!!!! Thank god I didnt tell him about the cam or stroker there & then.
He then mentioned maybe I should put the car over the pits just to be safe.......
Does this sound right??????
Thanx

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 05:50   #2 (permalink)

As far as I know it sounds like a load of BS.
The vents and the exhaust noise would be the only concern but my advice is ring up the Transport Department enquire about those vents.
Then again what's the point of having vents with metal plates under them?
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:28   #3 (permalink)
Mr Baron Samedi Man

well I know that I would just ignore it
and that cops like to pick on people with nice cars

current car

Chev Camaro Iroc-Z
thehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 17:11   #4 (permalink)
A shit load of Dim Sims

Re: I need help from WA.

Having engineered a car here in WA I have a little bit of experience with this kind of thing - not a lot, but a little.

I know pod filters are illegel in WA, their reasoning behind it is, if your car backfires, it can set it alight. BUT and this is the funny part, you can go to the pits and they will write you a permit for a pod filter! I don't know how a permit will stop it catching on fire I've just learnt to never question a Government department, they are ALWAYS right.

I don't know what type of car you drive, but any modifications to a motor after 1971 affect emissions (as you would probably already know), so are therefore illegal. The good thing with WA is, the Police don't have sniffers, so they can't check your emission outputs on the spot, at the pits might be different.

The bonnet vent question is right, but then begs the question, what about Toranas? they have a backwards facing bonnet vent? so do some Brock common-whores? and don't some model XR's (EL's)?

As for the tune up, I'm guessing you have a lumpy cam in it right?

Lastly, I know from mates in the force, you only have to go over the pits if you have a yellow sticker, if you are getting pulled over all the time, I would get the car engineered, we did this from the start and have a 4 page engineers certificate that stays in the car, just in case.

Hope this helps...
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Sounds reasonable to me, they didn't whack a yellow sticker on your car and it seems they certainly could have if they went to the letter of the law.

Those backwards facing vents on Torries (assuming SLR5000/A9X) are either for show or are air inlets for the carb so no problems with spraying oil, on top of this they were built in another era of rules.

EF/L XR vents have a plastic box sitting under the bonnet and only a small hole
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

i'll take your 347, since you're bored with it and you can have my 5.0.. - problem solvered.

my broinlaw used to work on the pits at welshpool so i'll ask him.. i can agree with the pod filter thing, but heads and intake manifold? i dont think so. obviously they just wanted to pick on you.. not uncommon.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 03:34   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Thanx Skip & all others that replied.
Looks as if I might as well get an engineers report done.
jmartion I have to give you credit mate good try.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub