I really dont get it - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2003, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

confused I really dont get it

WHY do people drive with their lights on during the day iv heard a few excuses eg. its a fasion statement, so people can see me, it helps charge the battery and so on. Only reason i ask as i saw a ea in the city a while ago a guy drivin with his lights on and some yobbo in a old ute got out with a metal bar and smashed both his headlighs in the guy in the ea did nothing. So im guessing people who drive with their lights on annoy everyone else just as much me. So please explain why (if you do) drive with your lights on ? Its very annoyin
blinkAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 21:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: I really dont get it

Guy with metal bar = ****wit, i would have taken the metal bar off him and broken his legs.

I have a couple of theories as to why it started.

Traditionally people drive with the lights on because it apparently was safer because the car was differentiated from the horizon/background, ie like out in the desert.

Volvos used to have a funciton which had the lights on all the time whenever the igniton was on.

There is a theory that this is more dangerous because the brake lights/headlight rear lights are difficult to differentiate during the day and hence more inclined to be run up the arse

2.Lancers with EVO bodykits with frickin 10inch fog lights in the front bar; SS Commodores and the like...People with these cars simply do it for the lair value. THEY ARE ATTEMPTING TO SHOW OFF

Hey look at me, i have created light and i can make car go burrrr - tshh and play venga boys real loud through my 12 inch sub woofers. Fantastic.
subsbligh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 21:51   #3 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

I couldnt agree anymore with what you just said. Foglights can be very annoyin at night at least point them to the ground not in peoples eyes. Tried foglights in my dads car they do completely nothing luckly he dont drive with them on. Saw a XF falcon the other day 3 sets of fog lights on the dam thing and some sort of neon thing near the radiator. I also thought driving with more then 1 set of lights on towards oncoming traffic was illegal as foglights have highbeam bulbs. Be good if there was some way to stop all these w""kers
Old 08-02-2003, 22:03   #4 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

I only drive with headlights on in a few special cases:

I like to have them on the highway because it helps with visibilty of my car at high speeds.

when its raining because it help with visibility

and of course at night time.

Remember these days a lot of cars just have the always on feature and this is really just for visibility, I would have killed the bloke who smashed the lights, there is no need for such stupidity.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 22:25   #5 (permalink)
wanting 6 gears!

Only time my lighs come on when im on the highway is to warn on comming traffic of radar. Why have people stoped doin this very rare do people warn me ! Anyway im to slick for radar they just can't catch me (yet)
Old 08-02-2003, 22:29   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Ionly put them on at night/dusk, on the highway on cross country trips ,and in the rain.

My cars pretty dark in color, and coz i have trouble seeing other dark cars, i expect it would be the same for my car.

During the day, there is no point IMO (other than above list)
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 00:28   #7 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Its actually going to become law in the US to have parking lights on at all times. Statistically, it improves the visibility of the car, and this has been evidenced by quite a few university research projects. I think US GM cars now have parking lights on all the time - I remember reading something about it in a motor mag a while ago. Personally, I think a requirement for parking lamps on at all times should be introduced. Both my cars are metallic grey, so Im always trying to be careful that people actually notice the car.

My only pet hate is when someone drives with highbeams or foglamps on.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 00:30   #8 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I'll only have the lights on in clear daylight if cruising with a group of cars.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 00:34   #9 (permalink)

The QLD govt recommends that you use your headlights at all times. I can't see the problem with having them on.

I've heard a few "old timers" say to run your headlights on long trips to avoid overcharging the battery, this may have had some benefit in the sixties but is irrelevant today.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:24   #10 (permalink)
well hung

Is'nt it already a law in Canada for people to have their lights on all of the time ...because canadians are slow to react, ey, and by the time they notice that it's night time it's already daytime.
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub