I want a Jet ski! Any advice welcome! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 00:56   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I want a Jet ski! Any advice welcome!

Just thought I would see if any of you guys owned jet skis?

I am planning on buying one for next summer. I have been on them before but a few years ago now. I am looking for a 3 seater that can hit around 50mph and tow a skiier. Which models are good? How many HP/cc does it take to achieve 50mph?
Has any one been on one of those stand up models? Are they good fun? How much power/cc is needed to have a good time on these kind?
There are a few old cheap ones on Ebay that I wouldnt mind tinkering with. It would be cool little project over winter that I could aim to have completed by summer time.
How hard are the engines to rebuild in these things? Are their any workshop manuals or other rebuilding resources on the net for Jetskis/waverunners etc?

Thanks for your help guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 01:26   #2 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Re: I want a Jet ski! Any advice welcome!

A mate of mine had a 2000 Yamaha GP1200, 130 hp two seater.
He bought it s/hand with only 50 hours on the clock, but the dic#head that had it before him ran it out of oil for the oil injection system, one of the three pistons grabbed the cylinder about a week after my mate had bought.
He ended up getting the cylinders sleeved and re-chromed, put Wiseco high comp pistons in it and re-built the carbys, went better than a new one. Cost about $1500 for the repairs.

Another mate of mine has a Seadoo 800cc twin, about 85 hp.
It has been reliable so far and has heaps of hours on it, but it has a Rotax motor in it and they are dear as poison to fix when they sh!t themselves
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:33   #3 (permalink)

You can't tow with a stand up, and i think only good if one of your mates has one too, otherwise you'll be by yourself alot, and it will become boring.
Get the new Supercharged one with 180hp, waa hoo, $19,000 though.
There are some good brands out there, go to a dealer and have a chat, they will help you out. If you buy second hand have it checked over.
And yes they have manuals like cars, so it is possible for you to do it.
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thanks guys,
What year/model was that JAJH sounds like something that would suit me.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:53   #5 (permalink)

I have 2 yamaha XL 1200's 1200cc and 155hp top speed of 110km's (60mph)they go hard as all hell. They are three seaters a little big and heavy but mate you can thorw them around and have heaps of fun on them. You can buy a new exhaust for em thats pumps power to 200hp. Best times are had in the surf or when we were allowed in sydney harbour chasing the manly cat huge jet boat with 30ft wakes. Search the web i wouldnt be surprised on stroker kits and the likes, i know you can buy nitrous kits from the states.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:58   #6 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Wicked. I used to live in canada and a mate had 2, we both lived right on the shoreline of a lake so I would take my boat to his place and jump on his jet skis all the time. It was the best fun chasing houseboat wakes and trying to knock the rear passenger off.
We would take turns driving his polaris 3 seater with someone on the back. The goal was to knock the passenger off as quick as you can.
We would boot it to 45-50mph and then throw a 360, worked everytime but the driver never stayed on either. They are good fun.

Dan
Old 05-12-2004, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I allway's wanted one of these, but they sound like an expensive toy, my cousin was right into this sport and not once did I get to have a go on them,mind you there's no water around here to use them.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:11   #8 (permalink)

hardest ive ever hit the water is about 80kms and man that nearly knocked me out, tore a muscle in my neck, landed on my head. I couldnt move for a while i thought i broke somthing. But i guess it depends how you land, i saw a bloke come off at about 60kms and break his shoulder, leg, jaw, neck, back and half his ribs. He tried to chase me down on a little 2seater then i took off and when i went back 15min later he was ass up in the water with boats aorund him. i got told he turned to quick to chase a jet boat and hit the drink head first. He even got a ride in a chopper and all.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:26   #9 (permalink)

Adrian GT 522 has one cost him $20,000 it's a big mother !
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:13   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Adrian GT 522 has one cost him $20,000 it's a big mother !
Cheers John
Thanks John, I do have one, its a Yamaha XLT 1200, 3 seater, injection, 155kw, and will do 110kph. Boy, with that sort of power, its a weapon. I will be looking to off load it soon, its only 6 mts old, 22 hours of work. Just depends on what you want to spend. I looked at 2nd hand ones, they were nearly the same price as the new ones, so i bought a new one, least you know how its been treated. Mine does more transport work, we go out down to Portsea and Sorrento, chase seals and ships with it.
If you want one to tow, get a big one, i also have a biscuit for the kids, its never had any trouble towing that. As for fuel, I find it not too bad, it only uses on average 20lts when we go out, usualy 3 hours or so.
i do rekon they are great, but I cant use mine enough, have to work all the time, and then you find yourself busy, next thing you know its just sitting around. Ive used mine 4 times this year so far, not good considering what its costing me, I could have another nice car in the garage for it.
Adventra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub