ideas for XR6 Turbo...phase II - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2003, 21:10   #1 (permalink)
falconS

ideas for XR6 Turbo...phase II

first of all i have to say i love the BA XR range but IMO there is just one thing that needs to be changed. The XR6 and the XR6-T look too similar. There needs to be something that tells them apart without having to get a look at the badge. My idea. EL XR style bonnet vents. Makes sense and would look horn too. What do you think? What should be changed or added to the XR6-T for BA II?

On second thoughts, you can post ideas for all the XR range in here too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2003, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

A better spoiler for all perhaps? Or maybe that rear skirt, one that doesn't dip into bottom of the boot. Or even, make the fog lights an option, something similar to the S/SS, so you can tell what it is from the front? Or Turbo badges where the old Tickford wings used to go on the side?
Old 01-15-2003, 21:20   #3 (permalink)
BrightEyes

Telling them apart will be easy - the one that goes past in a blur is the XR - the blur that goes past will be the turbo.
Old 01-15-2003, 21:22   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

All I would do is badge the XR6T as an XR6T, not XR6 with Turbo small underneath. It should also come with 18" standard and so should the XR8 IMO.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by BrightEyes
Telling them apart will be easy - the one that goes past in a blur is the XR - the blur that goes past will be the turbo.
Love it. They should use that in the advertising :)

Simon....
Old 01-15-2003, 21:40   #6 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

i think a new wing is in order, something like the T3 wing would be mint.

i dont know, the car is pretty damn good as it is.. but the scoops idea is a good one.
Old 01-15-2003, 21:42   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BrightEyes
What about the difference between XR6T and XR8
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Hmm I like the idea of bringing back to bonnet vents actully they looked hot on the EF/EL falcons and now that the barra has a flatter bonnet it will suit the car as well. + Turbo would appreciate the extra cooling me thinks.
oh and the Gt NEEDS a big ass bonnet scoop but that ideas been done to death here already so I'll leave it.
Old 01-15-2003, 23:59   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

What we are talking about here is model differentation. It is interesting to note that after all the discussion over the GT/GT-p not being different enough to the XR range that we are now looking for further visual cues to distinguish various XR models.

As we have become more sophisticated in vehicle design it has become harder and harder to distinguish between model variants.
In the old days (good or bad) we distinguished with quanity of chrome, black window surrounds, bigger wheels, different badges, stripes, decals, red inserts in rub strips and even whole vehicle colours.

Thankfully most of these methods have disappeared to be replaced by more subtle tweaks - even if Australia was the last place to give up the red insert!

The downside to the subtle tweaks is that they are a bit too subtle for some.

Personally I think Ford have always had it spot on with the XR range. The BA passes the 50 metre test from the front, rear and goes pretty close from the side so in that sense it is good.

I would question the need to further differntiate within the model. They are (after all) XR models with differeing engine choices. That they happen to span a price range from $36-50k is more a case of market forces than anything else.

If you start cannibalising bits off the GT (as some have suggested) then you exacerbate the lack of difference between the XR and the GT model range.

Taken to the extreme this result in the situation that HSV find themselves in whereby they have to put more and more tacky bits of plastic on their cars to distinguish them from their siblings and they just end up creating an ugly end product. Few would argue that the HSV Monaro models (for example) have spoilt the purity of the original design lines in an attempt to be different.

It's a tough call but perhaps a part of the price we all have to accept for the fact that the bar is continually raised by each subsequent model.

That's progress.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:29   #10 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford_falcon_ba
What about the difference between XR6T and XR8
IMHO I think there is enough difference between XR8 and XR6. The past XR's never had an real different look between them and why should it now. I think they look great with out going over board with the "rice" stuff. I would like however for the XR8 to have dual exhaust (heard somewhere its hard to do that with the way the fuel cell is I could be wrong though). That would look the treat. The bonnet vents sound good but as russellw said we can add all this on to the car to distinguish it from the others but in the end we could end up with the horror of the HSV Y series, plastic CRAP!!! Keep the cars subtle i think but with just a hint of whats underneath it (XR8 and the TS50 II)!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub