If you ever thought used car salesmen where stupid..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2002, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

If you ever thought used car salesmen where stupid.....

Read this...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...004761237.html

My fave quote is...

Quote:
Magistrate George Loadman was amazed that Kerry's Holden in Darwin let Rida drive away in a $46,454, one-year-old station wagon on the strength of an uncleared cheque.

"It's an act that's beyond commercial stupidity," Mr Loadman said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2002, 21:06   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

A friend of mine, put his car up for private sale. When he was at work, a guy came around to his house, so his wife showed him through the car. The buyer liked the car and wrote out a personal cheque for $12,000. My friends wife took the cheque with no identification or anything and handed over the keys. Strangely enough the cheque cleared and his wife lived.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

ED..

she must have got ID when he showed her his licence to fill in the change of rego papers change of owners details, and also to write out the receipt. ???!!???
Old 03-26-2002, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Probably, He didn't say that though, he was just going off that she accepted a personal cheque for $12,000. But it worked out in the end, so there are some genuine people out there.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Maybe it's just me, but I don't accept cheques from people with names like "Ahmed". That includes Bank Cheques. If it has to be a bank cheque, it has to be presented during business hours and I ring the bank to verify it is real.

Call me racist, call me anything you like - it's called experience!

BTW, I wonder if 'the wife' in the story above knows how close she came to meeting her maker (he he). I can see the headlines now..."Wife killed by own stupidity. Husband receives praise for restraint."

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 14:10   #6 (permalink)

A few years back I sold my XY faker shaker at auction for $8500 and the f*ckwit auctioneer did the same thing, gave them the car in exchange for a personal cheque that bounced! The auctioneer guy was a professional that had been in the game for about 20 years, I couldn't believe it! He got the money from the person after a few weeks, it was all a "misunderstanding" apparently. The woman that bought the car supposedly had a compo or redundancey cheque waiting to clear or some such story. I had a few anxious moments I can tell you and some words to say to the auctioneer.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 14:14   #7 (permalink)

Bank cheques aren't worth the paper they are writen on, either. I can give you a bank cheque, you can ring the bank and verify that it's OK and then I can go around the corner and ring the bank and claim I lost it and get it cancelled. Even if you manage to get it into your bank account they usually only clear part of the funds immediately, you have to wait up to a week for the rest.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub