INDICATOR WIRE - HELP PLZ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2002, 09:27   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

INDICATOR WIRE - HELP PLZ

Hey PPLs,

As you probably have read from the other post I am installing keyles entry in our car. There is this one wire that has me really ****ed up.

It is a orange wire (1) and it sez it is spose to hook up to the indicator wire...can some body please tell me where this is spose to be hooked up to...PLEASE..

thanx in advance,

Sundeep
--
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2002, 09:52   #2 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

hey. im assuming you mean there is one orange wire coming from the wiring loom of the keyless entry module??

the purpose of this wire is to make the indicators flash when you lock/unlock the car. You have to hook it to the indicator wires on the car. If you have a test light, hook it to earth, turn on the ign and put your right indicator on. Probe the wires coming from the indicator stalk. When you pick up the wire that is flashing on and off with the indicator you know this is the right hand indicator wire. Do the same thing to find the left hand one. Once you have both wires it becomes a bit tricky.

Because there is only one indicator wire (orange) from the module you will have diode split it to be able to hook up to both indicator wires on the car. You can use two 1 amp diodes although I'd probably use two 6 amp diodes just to be safe. you will need to twist the BAND end of the diodes together and hook this to your Orange wire from the module. Then hook the other end of the diodes to the seperate indicator wires on the car. The purpose of the diodes is to keep the left and right indicators seperate. If you didn't use them and just hooked up to both, whenever you put on the right OR left indicator, both lights would flash, like as if your hazards were on. The diodes may have come with the module or else you can get them from Dick Smith etc.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:14   #3 (permalink)
Brent79

Yep, thats what i had to do on my TX5

Brent
Old 04-26-2002, 15:24   #4 (permalink)
ben

d

sundeep wire it to your hazard switch, this avoids messy and inproper diodes which can fail if the reverse breakdown rating is wrong and which can when not done properly cause damage to the flasher unit such as fast flashing etc. Also why waste money on diodes and wiring it up when 2 inches before that is a switch where its already done.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 15:32   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: d

Thanks for that SPHELL, although i think ben's way is much easier.

So BEN, what wire (for the hazards) do i need to hook the oragne wire up to to get it all hunky dory and working.

Does anybody know the colour of this wire, or should i take the steering column trim off and check what wires are going to the hazard switch?

I do have a dodgy tester but i dont know how it works lol.

Sundeep
--
Old 04-26-2002, 16:25   #6 (permalink)
ben

s

sundeep i took the liberty of taking off the plastic casing around the ignition/steering wheel and found out the hazard switch is an integrated part of the turning signal switch and doesnt have one wire which can just be loaded to make the hazards flash, it can be done with a soldering iron, and some wiring and maybe even some electronics but its certainly not worth it.

SPHELL, or brent, or whoever suggested it, had the better idea on this one....just make sure they are rectifier diodes and not small signal diodes (ask the person at dick smith for this) as the rectifier diodes have good reverse barrier protection (as they are used in 50Hz power supplys 24/7 often)

ben
Old 04-26-2002, 16:37   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: s

Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn,

Oh well...as a last resort, cant i trace back the indicator wires from the engine bay to see where the join or whatever?

Or, SPHELL seeing as you live next to me, is there any way you can come down and give us a hand for a 6 pack? (i'd buy u a slab but funds are running real low atm lol)

U probably have ur hands full with the MPFI conversion but after that maybe coz theres no hurry ne mo.

OH BTW, the ppls who do the white gauges are SVE. They charge $175.00 for the sheets of metal.

Ring 0409 900 609..the dudes name is Jason Wayne

Sundeep
--
Old 04-26-2002, 17:23   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: s

Actually, reading it again, it doesnt seem so hard.

Just need to know where those + indicator wires are and get those diodes lol.

But can this method have side effects like the ones ben mentioned?

Also how much does it cost?

Sundeep
--
Old 04-26-2002, 17:41   #9 (permalink)
ben

sd

just make sure you buy rectifier diodes.

they are about 0.03c each

ben
Old 04-26-2002, 18:02   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: sd

rectifier diodes, i know absolute jack.

So what am i lookin for a 6 amp rectifier diode or just a rectifier diode?

Sundeep
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub