Intel, PC Makers Sued Over P4 Performance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2002, 21:52   #1 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Intel, PC Makers Sued Over P4 Performance

Intel (among others) are being sued by a group of people who claim the companies misled them into believing the Pentium 4 was a superior processor to Intel's own Pentium III and AMD's Athlon

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...081602X,00.asp
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2002, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Its about time Intel got a wakeup call, looks like the marketers and beancounters took over from where the engineers left off..
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:16   #3 (permalink)
Layabout

MHz = kW - the only true test is on the track.
EADan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

HOw true EADan...
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:10   #5 (permalink)

Hmm my 1.2Ghz Athlon outgrunts a 1.6 Ghz Pentium IV. Intel made good chips right up to the P3-500 then they just rested on their laurels and slipped away. Anyone who thinks a chip can speed up 'the internet experience' either believes in Brockies polariser or has been suckered by intels marketing machine.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
Drunk Irishman

We must remeber that a processors performance can be limited by the components around it. A good processor needs a good motherboard, good RAM, good video card, good sound driver, good modem and good busses. Without these things the processor is limited in capability.

When i play some high requirement games against my mates my P3 733MHz loads faster than some P4's and higher spec P3's. But when a mate changed his motherboard and bought more costly RAM his computer went from loading slower than mine to absolutely hammering mine with no extra RAM capacity and no other upgrades. What i am trying to say is that the speed of a computer is not totally governed by the processor.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 17:47   #7 (permalink)

I forgot to mention Irish I was using the same internal components/OS (WinXP) apart from the motherboard/CPU and the P4 setup was markedly slower !

Soltek SL75KAV VIA Board- 512mb PC-133 RAM- Athlon 1.2
MSI OEM P4 VIA board- 512Mb PC-133 RAM - P4-1.6

apart from the board and cpu the AMD setup was much, much faster than the MSI setup. Hopefully if Intel wake up to themselves they will start being more competitive with prices/performance otherwise their market share will drop even more....
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub