Interesting News - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2001, 17:31   #1 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Interesting News

This isn't strictly Ford news, but it is news that will affect Ford.
Firstly to do with Toyota:
<blockquote>
<b>"A bendigo based drag boat racing team are getting Toyota Backing for a supercar"</b>
</blockquote>
And Now to do with Mitsubishi:
<blockquote>
<b>"Mitsubishi is rumored to be having a production run of 200 V8 Dodge powered Magnas to qualify for supercars also"</b>
</blockquote>

Heh, now not only will we be beaten by Holden, but Toyota and Mitsubishi as well :eek:
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2001, 17:33   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Is it the First of April????
Check the date of the news items..... :D

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 17:38   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Is it the First of April????
Check the date of the news items..... :D
Heh, well the guy that I got this from is an insider, but he could have been having me on
recon it's a hoax?
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 17:51   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Just how do you suppose they can build V8 powered Magnas? I can't see it. Plus, I wasn't aware there was a requirement for a minimum number of road cars with V8 Supercars. I thought the idea was you negotiate straight up. For eg, the Commodore uses wishbones/watts link - not in the road car.

Then you've got the issue about whether Toyota and Mitsu want to do this. As in, go the dinosaur V8 path with pushrods and all that. I wouldn't think so.

Bottom line - I reckon it's 1st of April stuff. Besides, would you buy a Camry refrigerator front wheel drive chicken mobile because they run a V8 Supercar? I thought not! Camry drivers wouldn't know what a racetrack is let alone follow the sport.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

I read in AA or Motorsport News that Cochrane had gone cold on the idea to include Mitsu and Toyota. Article said that he thought it would take away from the "tribal" vibe that exists between Ford and Holden thus reducing the appeal of the category.
Can't say I'd be too keen to have them included. :WH:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

the V8 magna was advertised in the 1997-98 edition of wheels magazine. makes things interesting now. I agree with FM though it does take away the Ford versus Holden rivalry. how does this fit in with bathurst, anyone know.
Old 05-14-2001, 21:36   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rules of V8 supercars that the car in production form has to be similar with the race car (yeah yeah i know Seto's car is nothing like the AU company car) but in the sense of it's rear drive and has a V8.

Magna is front drive, imagine makin Magna with 600hp front driver :D :p :p :D :p :p :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ: :CraZ:

Funny isn't it....

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 22:57   #8 (permalink)
Australian xr8 Member

I would like to see that!!! esp start line aand ALLLL that understeer.:damack: :damack:
Old 05-14-2001, 23:26   #9 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

cool

I say let them build their own category called 'Big Banger Ricers'.

The main resson I don't want them in V8 supercar because they will take the Holden V Ford rivalry away and the crowds will slowly diminish.

Still it would give Ford fans and Holden fans something to agree on, hating the other two brands. :p
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 23:46   #10 (permalink)
Saving for a BA XR6t

mad

Well I don't wanna get hit here, but I hope that Mitusbishi do get-in on the V8 Supercar scene. I think they deserve better sales than they are currently getting. Would be a mighty pity if they had to pack-up and leave, left only as an importer.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub