It's that '70s V8 show all over again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

It's that '70s V8 show all over again

www.drive.com.au

The supercar battles of 30 years ago are set to be rejoined. Ford is readying a new V8 to headline the next Falcon, due in September.
Holden, through its Holden Special Vehicles performance arm, set the successful market pace with its brawny models and kept the V8 contest simmering. Ford has already squared off with increased clout in its Tickford performance line-up.

But Ford Australia president Geoff Polites has signalled there's more to come.

Ford was the heavyweight of the historic supercar stoushes with its Falcon GT HO series 30 years ago. Then it stepped out of the ring for nearly 10 years in the 1980s when it dropped its V8 and pulled out of touring car racing, leaving the game entirely to Holden.

However, with the arrival in September of the new "Barra" Falcon and its new V8 engine, Polites predicts: "[Holden] won't be kicking sand in our face."

The all-new 5.4-litre Ford V8 will be imported from the US, as are Holden's Chevrolet-built V8s.

According to a report in Motor magazine this week, the power of the Ford V8 is expected to range from 220kW for the staple sedans to 260kW for the XR8 sports sedan. A 240kW turbo six is also expected to power the XR6.

HSV currently has the upper hand in the power battle with its 300kW models but it has confirmed it won't be going to the extent of building a 300kW Maloo ute to overtake Ford's 250kW 5.6-litre XR8 Pursuit Ute. The current Maloo R8's 255kW from its 5.7-litre engine is considered enough.

"How much is too much?" says HSV's sales and marketing manager Mark Behr. "You've got to draw the line somewhere. The car has different weight distribution and we believe traction could be an issue with 300kW.

"Maloo buyers are our youngest buyers and if we built a 300kW ute the Maloo would cease to be an entry model."

Meanwhile, a similar battle is being waged in the US. As Congress threatens to raise fuel-economy standards, and as OPEC manipulates the flow of oil and petrol prices to increase petrol prices, the car makers' response has been to boost horsepower.

Earlier this year Ford US announced a reincarnation of the 1960s Le Mans-winning GT40. And Dodge's performance arm, set up in January, has unveiled a 370kW-plus Ram pick-up. The engine is a beefed-up version of the Viper sports car's V10, which originally came from the Ram.
FPRXR-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2002, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by 00 Motorsport
"How much is too much?" says HSV's sales and marketing manager Mark Behr. "You've got to draw the line somewhere.
If you can't finish it.. don't start it. That's just my opinion on the whole horsepower battle.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 00:22   #3 (permalink)

Yeah true but the statement is also correct. The bar has been set at around the 300kw mark. When you satrt moving power levels like Holden did with the LS1 you are backing yourself into a corner quicker then you need to IMO
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 03:11   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

History always repeates if we don't learn from it. I've been through one SuperCar scare in the mid 70's and could well do without another.
Sadly all it takes is one horrific crash involving a young (or not so young) driver in a high powered vehicle and it will be on.

There is some point at which the weight of public opinion or political stupidity will exercise an influence and that'll be that.

I wouldn't want to even guess where that point is .. if we look back to the 70's we were talking 300 hp or so but then vehicles are obviously much better in terms of braking, handling, tyre and safety technology these days.

... and before anyone comments I know you can buy much faster cars with more horsepower but the issue will be that these are relatively affordable cars that are more likely to come into the hands of the less experienced.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Since when does having more money make you a more experienced driver?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 00:07   #6 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra

Good call Cobra!

You should always drive within you and your cars limits!

Russs, you can have it back now............
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 00:43   #7 (permalink)

I remember a few years ago there was a "Cannonball" type run through the NT and some rich Jap guy in a Ferrari or Lambo lunched himself doing warp speed through a checkpoint or some such thing. However I didn't see any reports that Ferraris or Lambos should be banned because of it.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 02:53   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
Sorry Cobra (and Falchoon) but I can't see where anyone has even mentioned that in this thread. Your comments are welcome but do me the courtesy of reading what has been said first!
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:07   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw

... and before anyone comments I know you can buy much faster cars with more horsepower but the issue will be that these are relatively affordable cars that are more likely to come into the hands of the less experienced.

Exactly. You are going to struggle to find cars that are as affordable with this sort of performance level any where else in the world.

I know I have got into trouble for saying this before but the Exec Holden is one example. This car is a budget base model that can easily have the potential of and SS +. This car on the second hand market will be very obtainable to kids just starting their driving lives. Normally performance comes at a cost much, much more than what we are paying. I have said before that Australian manuufacuturers can't ignore performance stands from the benchmark leaders in this catagory.
Pleasingly Holden are making noises to this end.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 00:48   #10 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

yeah but i think the point is this. A Hyundai excel with its 30 or rwks, can accelerate to 100 as well, albeit slow.

Most road cars will reach quite a decent speed to take your head off no probs.

So what is the lowest common denominator ? The driver.

But unfortunately i think russ is right because at some stage, one of somebodys offspring, that they spawned to replace themeselves with, will die in a "horible and tragic" accident and then the media will make a meal out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub