It's great to be back in the land of broadband! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2001, 21:21   #1 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Thumbs up It's great to be back in the land of broadband!

Damn, how I've missed you, sweet sweet bandwidth... :D

Cable FINALLY went in today, and beeee-loody hell do I have some catching up to do! 7 weeks of part time dialup with the occasional 1/2 hr cable session at a friends house has almost wrecked me, especially with my FF addiction.

Couldn't get Optus since they apparently don't do cable installs anywhere thats further than 10m from the cable on the road (WTF!?!!?), so had to settle for the inferior and capped Tel$tra version. But ... it's still cable.. :thumbup:

After that post-whoring session which we so convincingly won, I've REALLY got some to do myself to catch up to you lot!! :D

Just out of interest, who here is using broadband, and how are you finding your carriers (Optus, Tel$tra)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2001, 21:29   #2 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

I was using Optus cable for a short time in Sydney... i didnt think they had a download limit but was wrong... they had a 600mb download limit (per fortnight i think).
When my friend went over it they cut it off and placed a permanent ban on him.

As for Optus vision... complete **** IMO

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 22:03   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Quote:
Originally posted by eb_5litre
I was using Optus cable for a short time in Sydney... i didnt think they had a download limit but was wrong... they had a 600mb download limit (per fortnight i think).
When my friend went over it they cut it off and placed a permanent ban on him.

As for Optus vision... complete **** IMO
optus dont actually have a download "Limit" as such... just a "fair go" policy.

Basically if your usage (download AND upload) exceeds, the average customer usage by 10 times in a 14 day period, you will be cut off (if the average usage over 14 days is 5 gig, and your usage is 50 gig - you will get disconnected)

You will get a warning when you reach 8 times the average usage.

I am on Optus cable (and yes - I do work for optus as well!!) and I download average 200 meg a day. (sometimes over 500meg - this is over a couple of machines too!!) and I have NEVER even made it to 0.5 times the "Average usage" (usually 0.2 - 0.4)

So judging by those figures, "average usage" would be roughly 500 meg a day. So you will get disconnected after exceeding 70 gig per 14 day period.

P.S - yes I agree that optus vision is crap... I watch it all day at work, and cant stand it. I have foxtel at home :D :D
Old 08-01-2001, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Good to see you back as fulltime on ford forum Mike. I use good ol dialup at home, can't justify cable or adsl yet.

Hmmm 4 windows using a 56k modem is what i was doing most of the time at the post war. Modem has copt a trashing i reckon.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Good to see you back as fulltime on ford forum Mike. I use good ol dialup at home, can't justify cable or adsl yet.

Hmmm 4 windows using a 56k modem is what i was doing most of the time at the post war. Modem has copt a trashing i reckon.

adsl at home, getting worse as time goes by,

but a 28,800 connection at work which allowed 20 windows to run durring the WAR
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
EA Wagon Member

i got telstra cable and they been starting to piss me off lately, when they temporarily shut the net down in your area for repairs they don't even bother sending you anemal to let you know so you ring them up and after 30 minutes of getting switched between people they finally tell yathey are just updating them and it will be back up in a few hours

i don't even reckon they are updating i reckon the thing went down adn they had to fix it

also telstra's thing for measuring your download amount is screwed cos in february i downloaded about 25 gigs and it only showed up as 4.2 gigs and yet last month for 2 weeks i was on a holiday and so couldn't use the internet and didn't download anything really big the whoel month adn they reckon i used 13gigs yet they didn't send me a email saying to pay them extra money or nothing

the whole thing is screwed

and i spoke to the telstra guy and teh download limit they only monitor you until after 3 months ina row if you haven't got anywhere near it then they give you unlimited again apparently so i am gonna do that and get back my unlimited :)

telstra is screwed but ithink if by the time my contract is up they haven't improved i will be switching to optus but other than these above problems telstra is pretty good

good for gaming i get a ping anywhre from 8-90 ms so thats pretty good :D
Old 08-02-2001, 03:30   #7 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

The_Rat... the way the telstra ADSL network operates is there are some sites (can't remember the names offhand) that you can go to which you can download from for free without it being deducted from your limit as they are judged to be "internal" on the tel$tra (tosstra) network (now if i remember correctly wireplay is one such site) which means these downloads do not contribute to your total within the hard cap of 3Gb. which means that if you download over the #gb from wireplay alone you should be nowhere near your cap limit...which could have contributed to the fact you breached the mimit with nothing said.... then again I could be wrong, have been before.

It is also my understanding that once you hit the 3Gb cap you can only access the tel;stra website for email or wireplay, any external sites become unavaliable until the new month rolls in.
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 04:13   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DONUT KING
The_Rat... the way the telstra ADSL network operates is there are some sites (can't remember the names offhand) that you can go to which you can download from for free without it being deducted from your limit as they are judged to be "internal" on the tel$tra (tosstra) network (now if i remember correctly wireplay is one such site) which means these downloads do not contribute to your total within the hard cap of 3Gb.
Yeah Rat, the Telsta cable is the same. It's got them "free" sites which don't add to your meg usage. I think there's a list of them at the Bigpond Advance homepage? I've got it at work, and yes, it's been on and off lately with alot of unexplained disconnections.
:(
Mind you I love it! I come home to my old dial up modem and it frustrates me to buggery.:rolleyes:
Russell.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 04:37   #9 (permalink)
Forever Ford Follower

yeah i've got telstra cable too and i've been finding it pretty crap lately aswell.. it seems to be slowing down and i can only download consistenly at around 17kb.. i have friends in america that have cable and they download at around 156kb.. makes me annoyed. oh well. its better than dialup but its a bad habit for me seeing that the comp is always connected to the computer i spend to much time on FF.. haha oh well. :D
XLR8_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 06:38   #10 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by XLR8_2001
yeah i've got telstra cable too and i've been finding it pretty crap lately aswell.. it seems to be slowing down and i can only download consistenly at around 17kb.. i have friends in america that have cable and they download at around 156kb.. makes me annoyed. oh well. its better than dialup but its a bad habit for me seeing that the comp is always connected to the computer i spend to much time on FF.. haha oh well. :D
Heheh on the T1 lan at uni I am getting speeds up to 0.5mb/s at times... then I go home and dial up through a mini lan I have set up there and get download speeds of like 2k/s max :( :( :( :( :(
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub