It's official: 4WDs are more dangerous - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 21:26   #1 (permalink)
No More Shaggin Wagon

It's official: 4WDs are more dangerous

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

It's official: 4WDs are more dangerous
November 25, 2004

MOTORISTS who buy big four-wheel-drives to be safer on the roads could be doing the wrong thing, according to the latest crash research.

Landcruiser
Poor showing ... the 1980s predecessors of this Toyota Landcruiser were rated the worst for accidents.
A study of more than one million crashes involving vehicles manufactured between 1982 and 2000 has revealed higher injury rates for people in four-wheel-drives.

The worst performer was the Toyota Landcruiser followed by the Toyota 4Runner and the Holden Rodeo.

The best was the Mitsubishi Lancer followed by the Ford AU Falcon and the VT/VX Holden Commodore.

The danger list

The study, by the NRMA and the New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority, pointed to the high instance of four-wheel-drives rolling when involved in a single-vehicle crash.

"While 16 per cent of the serious injuries in large car single vehicle crashes are due to a rollover, the rate for 4WDs is 41 per cent," RTA's general manager of road safety Soames Job said.

"While this problem has long been suspected due to the higher centre of gravity of 4WDs, this data confirms the effect.

"The overall risk of injury for drivers of 4WDs in rollover crashes is the highest of all vehicle types, followed by commercial vehicles, medium cars, large cars and sports cars."

Dr Job said the study showed that vehicle manufacturers needed to move swiftly to introduce stability controls for vehicles most likely to roll.

NRMA spokesman Jack Haley said it also identified the best and worst among second hand cars when it came to protecting drivers in single-vehicle crashes.

"Overall, drivers in vehicles that rated the poorest are five times more likely to be seriously injured than those drivers in the best performing cars," Mr Haley said.

"These results highlight just how important it is for motorists to have safety at the top of their mind when looking to purchase a vehicle.

"They also reinforce NRMA's view that all vehicles, especially small ones, should be available with a full package of front, side and head-protecting airbags."

Also of Interest

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

The driving danger list
November 25, 2004

THE best and worst performing vehicles for crashworthiness in single vehicle crashes according to an NRMA study.

The worst 11 for crashworthiness:

# Toyota Landcruiser (1982-89)
# Toyota 4Runner/Hilux (1982-85)
# Holden Rodeo (1989-95)
# Ford Festiva WA (1991-93) / Mazda 121 (1987-90)
# Subaru Brumby (1982-93)
# Toyota Landcruiser (1990-97)
# Ford Festiva WD/WD/WH/WF (1994-00)
# Toyota Hilux (1989-97)
# Toyota Tarago (1983-89)
# Holden Drover (1985-87) / Suzuki Sierra (1982-2000)
# Holden Astra (1984-86) / Nissan Pulsar / Vector (1984-86)

The best 11 for crashworthiness:

# Mitsubishi Lancer CE/Mirage (96-2000)
# Ford Falcon AU (1998-2000)
# Holden Commodore VT/VX (1997-2000)
# Ford Laser (1991-94)
# Holden Commodore VR/VS (1993-97) / Toyota Lexcen (1993-97)
# Ford Falcon EF/EL (1994-98)
# Ford Falcon EB Series II / Falcon ED (Apr 1992-94)
# Mitsubishi Verada KR/KS (1991-96) / Magna TR/TS (1991-96)
# Ford Falcon EA / Falcon EB Series I (1988-Mar 92)
# Holden Commodore VN/VP (1989-93) / Toyota Lexcen (1989-93)
# Ford Falcon XE/XF (1982-88)
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 22:27   #2 (permalink)
Otherwise known as Robbo

Re: It's official: 4WDs are more dangerous

Tell me something I dont know. Unfortunately wankers will continue to buy large 4WD's for suburban roads as they regard it as their democratic right to f$#ck the environment, clog the roads and mangle smaller cars.

Why the hell you would choose to buy a UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle) is beyond me - they are slower, handle like crap, use more fuel, have a high purchase price, have very high running costs ect ect ect. and now the revelation that they never were safer anyway.

Let the arguments from those that proclaim to use them at least once a year to go offroad come forth so that they can be shotdown into pieces.

I have no problem with our country friends who require such vehicles and even some in the city have a legitamate need for them but otherwise dont be tosser and buy a decent accelerating/handling car that dosnt suck down 20L/100km.
Also - Kawasaki ZZR, soon to be Kawasaki ZX6R.
XRSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 22:32   #3 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

Quote:
"The overall risk of injury for drivers of 4WDs in rollover crashes is the highest of all vehicle types, followed by commercial vehicles, medium cars, large cars and sports cars."
This could possibly be due to the fact 4x4's mostly dont have proper lockdown storage . They just have a section at the back for stuff to go behind the seats. In a rollover the stuff goes everywhere injuring people.

People who drive 4x4's in the city only, do not buy 4x4,s for any other reason than as a status symbol.

74' Sandstone Biege XBGT, 351, FMX, Sunroof, Air Con, Power Steering.
Black EX-R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 22:39   #4 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

he he he i need my 4x4 just negotiate our crap roads up here.
so i'll assume if you see a 17-24 yo male on "P" plates driving a pre '90s toyota landcruiser, order the ambo

ya gotta love stats.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 22:48   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSIK
Tell me something I dont know. Unfortunately wankers will continue to buy large 4WD's for suburban roads as they regard it as their democratic right to f$#ck the environment, clog the roads and mangle smaller cars.

Why the hell you would choose to buy a UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle) is beyond me - they are slower, handle like crap, use more fuel, have a high purchase price, have very high running costs ect ect ect. and now the revelation that they never were safer anyway.

Let the arguments from those that proclaim to use them at least once a year to go offroad come forth so that they can be shotdown into pieces.

I have no problem with our country friends who require such vehicles and even some in the city have a legitamate need for them but otherwise dont be tosser and buy a decent accelerating/handling car that dosnt suck down 20L/100km.
To a point I agree with you. But your not exactly being very open minded about 4WD's. Simple fact of the matter is my G/F and I cannot afford to have another vehicle sitting around waiting for me to use it. I cannot tow the loads I require with a car, I cannot get to the camping locations I like to camp at in a car and I cannot fit my dogs in a car.

So what do you propose people like myself do? Your blanket attack on 4WD's is so biased it almost made me vomit. I'd put my new pajero against most cars on the road and i'll slaughter them from a standing start, the thing flies. And if you think 550kms from a tank is excessive then you must be driving a mini. I havn't owned the car 1 week yet, but its already been up to big river state forest and tasted some mud.

Mangle smaller cars? Clog the roads? Get your hand off it. A single semi out of control will take out 10 cars in a row and I don't see you jumping up and down at them. The roads in Melbourne are f**ked with or without 4WD's, I know this because I drive a car to work every day.

Yes there are plenty of dud 4WD owners on the road, but if you want to start making blanket staements like the one above it will be you on the recieving end
Old 11-24-2004, 22:49   #6 (permalink)

Good to see 6 of the top 11 best are fords
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 22:55   #7 (permalink)

4wds were first made to cater for the needs of the military during wars and the such. That naturally progressed to recreational 4wding, work requirements, and cross country driving and the like - then the women saw them, settled on the fact they make them feel superior (in effect from hundreds of years of being made felt inferior) and that created the mums city taxi - creating suburban road problems - WHERE the actual purpose of the 4wd (from its original days) stands no bearing!
Should we blame the Women!!!
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 23:04   #8 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

These people bagging 4wd's must be saying the same thing about the Territory, big heavy fuel guzzling peice of crap, LOL, ain't nothing wrong with 4wd's, give me a Toyota Prado anyday thank's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 23:36   #9 (permalink)
Otherwise known as Robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
To a point I agree with you. But your not exactly being very open minded about 4WD's. Simple fact of the matter is my G/F and I cannot afford to have another vehicle sitting around waiting for me to use it. I cannot tow the loads I require with a car,
Hmm just about any car takes a towbar.

Quote:
I cannot get to the camping locations I like to camp at in a car and I cannot fit my dogs in a car.
FFS I used to go camping in my 1987 Corolla hatchback down the crappiest drit tracks you have seen.

Quote:
So what do you propose people like myself do? Your blanket attack on 4WD's is so biased it almost made me vomit. I'd put my new pajero against most cars on the road and i'll slaughter them from a standing start, the thing flies.
PPleease, you think your Pajero is fast - the other cars musnt have been trying.

Quote:
And if you think 550kms from a tank is excessive then you must be driving a mini. I havn't owned the car 1 week yet, but its already been up to big river state forest and tasted some mud.
How big is the tank? - its not impressive if the tank holds 100 litres like most 4wds. Some research via google would show that a Pajero tanks hold between 75L up to 100L on some models - given a normal car holds around 50L I dont regard your figures as impressive

Quote:
Mangle smaller cars? Clog the roads? Get your hand off it. A single semi out of control will take out 10 cars in a row and I don't see you jumping up and down at them. The roads in Melbourne are f**ked with or without 4WD's, I know this because I drive a car to work every day.
Thats because semi trailer drivers arnt making a fashion statement - they are a necessety.

FACT - A heavier vehicle will cause more damage to a lighter vehicle.

FACT - 4WDs cannot be seen around and therefore "clog the roads"

Obviously you own a Pajero and therefore are defending your ride which is fare enough but it isnt going to change my view on the subject.
Also - Kawasaki ZZR, soon to be Kawasaki ZX6R.
XRSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 23:56   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

lol try a river crossing in a Corolla. I'm all for people who USE 4WDs, as for the stupid bimbos who run the kids to school and do the shopping in them, they should get something practical.

I'll bet 90% of the people who use 4WDs for towing, bush bashing, etc, etc know exactly how they handle, know the limits of them and drive within said limits.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub