JB gives the Super Monaro a spray - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2002, 19:26   #1 (permalink)

JB gives the Super Monaro a spray

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article...XNZROYI8D.html

V8 Supercar racer John Bowe is angry that a field of production-based cars contesting the Bathurst 24-hour race this weekend has to deal with a 7.0-litre Holden Monaro sports sedan (pictured), a car he claims is "way, way outside the spirit of the rules".

"The Monaro should win by miles," says Bowe, who will drive a $750,000 Ferrari 360GT in the first of what is expected to become an annual event on the calendar.

"Apart from the shell, there is not a single thing on that car that relates to the original Monaro," insists Bowe, who lists a 7.0-litre Corvette engine from a Le Mans racer, Holinger six-speed sequential gearbox, Ford differential and specially fabricated front and rear suspension.

"The road-car suspension has been scrapped in favour of a unique double-wishbone racing rear-end design manufactured by Harrop Engineering -- it's more a Harrop car than a Holden," says Bowe, who, we should point out, also works for Holden's arch rival Ford developing performance road cars.

"It has more power than a V8 supercar ... if it's not 10 seconds faster than the rest, it's a joke."

Bowe says he doesn't blame Holden for grabbing the opportunity to give the Monaro an image boost but wonders whether the punters will be fooled into believing that "this $1 million creation is really a $60,000 Monaro".

Bowe says that Procar, the organising body behind the 24-hour race, has bent over backwards to attract the Monaro beast into the event.

"It's wrong, but we're not taking our cricket bat home," he says. "We're going to Mount Panorama to do our best with a production-based car that meets the FIA regulations."

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2002, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
gone

Re: JB gives the Super Monaro a spray

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon

"It's wrong, but we're not taking our cricket bat home," he says. "We're going to Mount Panorama to do our best with a production-based car that meets the FIA regulations."
Ahhhh

FIA Regulations are still depndant on the amount of money one can make in brown paper bag donations... good to see this hasnt changed!

Old 11-14-2002, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Instead of building a completely new car they (Holden) should have just re-skinned one of the Corvette C5-R's because that is basically what this is, a C5-R dressed up as a Monaro.
Old 11-14-2002, 19:39   #4 (permalink)
So Play Nice

Wonder what the holden camp ould be saying if it was a mustang on a similar setup?? ...

Particularly in light of the V8 supercars comments that have been going around....
OFR #23

Member - ATPS - Automatic Transmission Preservation Society

Old 11-14-2002, 20:28   #5 (permalink)

It's happened already! look at the way they(the GTS crowd)hacked up JB's Bud Mustang in the name of parity, till they completely blunted it's competitive edge.There was also a big hue and cry over it being a true production car with respect to numbers sold in this country and those needed for homologation,notwithstanding,I'd say it's far closer to a production car than what is for all intents and purposes a V8 supercar Monaro coupe.Yes sir, there's just no killing the goose that layed the Holden egg.
Old 11-14-2002, 20:34   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

I agree with most things JB does, but this time he's created some free publicity for Holden here.
Old 11-14-2002, 20:51   #7 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Baeddan
Wonder what the holden camp ould be saying if it was a mustang on a similar setup?? ...

Particularly in light of the V8 supercars comments that have been going around....
personally, i think if it was a ford in this issue, the ford would have been banned. ford doing something like that would have been 'unacceptable'.
Old 11-14-2002, 21:27   #8 (permalink)
Crikey

Quote:
Originally posted by RPO83
I agree with most things JB does, but this time he's created some free publicity for Holden here.
Was thinking the same thing RPO
Old 11-14-2002, 23:08   #9 (permalink)
Darkside Intruder!

Ford would most definately of not been banned, some guys need to cut out the world is out to get me crap. If ford had a super XR6T i think it would be great. By the way the monaro was 1.5 sec faster than everybody in practice.
Old 11-14-2002, 23:25   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VXLS1
Ford would most definately of not been banned, some guys need to cut out the world is out to get me crap. If ford had a super XR6T i think it would be great. By the way the monaro was 1.5 sec faster than everybody in practice.

you must admit that the 'super' mopnaro isn't much of a street car. I remember that the Bowe mustange ended up with rev limits and such to make it 'fairer' for the rest ... see what the future brings.

1.5 seconds faster than the rest on its first real outing.... only more to come. Don't get me wrong .. that monaro is a beast and it will be great to have it in the race but only if it gets treated like the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub