Jinxed by EA S (Geoff P. Please read) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2001, 02:45   #1 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Jinxed by EA S (Geoff P. Please read)

Well what were we talking about the other day???... Your pedal box.... I had to adjust the clutch again and thought something is a bit sus. Out with the torch head under the dash BINGO clutch pedal pivot pin broken away from welds on pedal box and a big big crack down it too. Not a job i'm looking forward to doing, cars done 107,000kms

Now, i'm assuming the design of POS pedal box hasn't changed much over the years and i think something needs to be done to it. The Barra's gonna have the look's and go to match, but i dont wanna see all the guys who love the manual flavour have to get pedal box's and firewalls repaired at 100,000kms. Something needs to be done to make sure this component stops breaking.

Why wasn't this recognised as an engineering fault earlier??? Surely it can't be too safe if you're trying to accellerate through an intersection and your clutch pedal falls off...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2001, 05:27   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Ahhhh no, thats a bugger Jase, now i'm paranoid about mine, might have a look with a torch tomorrow.

Don't want to pull the whole dash to repair it. :( :(

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 06:09   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Ahhhh no, thats a bugger Jase, now i'm paranoid about mine, might have a look with a torch tomorrow.

The best way to check is look at where the pin is welded and move the pedal side to side. Good luck, i hope it isn't broken...
Old 10-25-2001, 07:19   #4 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I think I might check mine tomorrow also and maybe do some firewall strengthening.

When I did my manual conversion, that was the first thing my brother said to me, was that the pivot always breaks.

On the topic of things that the barra should have.....I reckon iits about time dual exhausts made a come back.
Why the hell the the Taurus or mondeo (I cant remember) have dual exhausts and the falcon doesn't....its just not right.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 07:28   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY

If you are unlucky enough to need to repair it... do like I did... get mick to do it!!
Old 10-25-2001, 07:35   #6 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Taking out the dash as a complete unit is not that hard really.
(I'm not saying that its not a PITA though, cause it is)

first time is a bit of a bugger, trying to find all the plugs that need to be disconnected, but after that its easy.

Old 10-25-2001, 07:45   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by (\/)ADXF
Taking out the dash as a complete unit is not that hard really.
(I'm not saying that its not a PITA though, cause it is)

first time is a bit of a bugger, trying to find all the plugs that need to be disconnected, but after that its easy.
I've done it before on a customers car that came in, so it's not going to be difficult. It just one of the jobs I never wanted to do on my car. If they were designed better it wouldn't happen.

BTW Paul on your car you only need to drop the steering column to get it out not remove the entire dash....
Old 10-25-2001, 07:58   #8 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Quote:
BTW Paul on your car you only need to drop the steering column to get it out not remove the entire dash....
I didn't know that. when I put the new pedal box in from when I did the conversion, I took the whole dash out and dropped the steering column.

I'll know that for if it ever happens then.

One thing I'm gunna have the sh!ts about though is when I get around to putting in a hydraulic clutch setup, I will have to modify the firewall cause XF's had the clutch cable hole fabricated with the firewall so it doesn't have the bolts that the master cylinder mounts to, unlike earlier models where the bolts were there to change between either hydro, cable or none.

Old 10-25-2001, 14:55   #9 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Re: Jinxed by EA S (Geoff P. Please read)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jase_ELXR8
Well what were we talking about the other day???... Your pedal box.... I had to adjust the clutch again and thought something is a bit sus. Out with the torch head under the dash BINGO clutch pedal pivot pin broken away from welds on pedal box and a big big crack down it too. Not a job i'm looking forward to doing, cars done 107,000kms

Now, i'm assuming the design of POS pedal box hasn't changed much over the years and i think something needs to be done to it. The Barra's gonna have the look's and go to match, but i dont wanna see all the guys who love the manual flavour have to get pedal box's and firewalls repaired at 100,000kms. Something needs to be done to make sure this component stops breaking.

Why wasn't this recognised as an engineering fault earlier??? Surely it can't be too safe if you're trying to accellerate through an intersection and your clutch pedal falls off...
I'm not sure, but you could be in luck - the Barra will probably pick up more safety equipment and I should think that it will include decoupling pedals.
Mayby Ford will look at the problem you have told us and fix it while they are in the same area.?:rolleyes:

Anyway thats just my wild guess.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 14:58   #10 (permalink)
Australian AUII XR8 Member

On my EB the pedal box went two weeks before trading the car on the AU. Just the sort of job you look you want when you're going to get rid of it anyway.:(

Would have to agree that this setup needs upgrading. Couldn't believe it when I saw the design (or lack of). AS EAS said could well do with a shaft such as the setup of the brake pedal. There is no way that the pedal box was not going to fatigue and crack at some point.

One of th first things I did when I got the AU was stick my head under the dash, nothing much seems to have changed:(

But that is the only dissapointment I have had with the new car, just about clocked up 10,000 Ks, just love driving it. Was a great drive up to Bathurst and back, fuel consumption wasn't to bad either - got around 9.5 - 10 litres/100 K.:D :D

AU II XR8 220 Narooma Blue
5sp Manual, Body Kit, Momo wheel/knob, Premium Sound
XR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub