Jungle Hopp'in- again. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 16:06   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Jungle Hopp'in- again.

Howdy folks.

Sorry I hav'nt had a yack to you for so long but I have been enjoying the sights of SE Asia ( N.Thailand,Burma, Vietnam) for some sightseeing for now 2 months or so. To not print a Ernest Hemmingway novel about it is difficult (the thought has lingered from my mind) but I'll keep
it short and sweet.

Hmm Lauda Airlines is really good and the 'service' was fantastic cheaper than Quantas and with that efficency that makes you know your flying a Kraut airline. Not a speck of dirt on the seats not one hostesses hair folicle out of place, wife could not help but chuckle. I've flown Gulf Air (the best airline in the world) but this rivals it. Was hit in the ribs numerous times by wife for admiring the 'Germaness' of a geourgeous 24yo fraulinne named Magdelina. Anyway wife was admiring 'male' hostess named Jojhann. I could not help but make cliches from Hogans Heroes. Anyway touched down in
Bannkok then took a plane up to Chang-Mai. Lots of pretty Buddhist temples
and everybody was so darn friendly over there. I could not decide which Buddha I was going to buy and good Thai food was so darn cheap.We then bussed and trekked by foot up to Mae Hong Sorn, where I met a now Colonel
whom I trained yonkers ago in the Army. Went to meet some Karen Tribes people there was was given the best down home hospitality ever. Though up there its a pretty lawless area with drugs and guns as common as goats and pigs running around. Got plenty of photos, trinkets, amulets and goodies probably because of them no harm came to us. A bus was blown up a hour behind me, internal strife between warlords up there 8 were killed two days after. Must have rubbed the rubbed the buddha and fired those prayer wheels plenty of times.

Met a old long lost Nam friend (fortune man right- would meet old friend!) living up there and had a chat. A ex USMC Sarg up in Tom Sun Nat where I met him. Met a Thai wife and settled down with a lovely wife 3 kids and 5 or so pigs and numerous goats.

I do envy his lifestyle so simple and happy. He makes some money giving tours around the area. Lovely waterfalls up there and all things womantic, oooh romantic thats what my lady say oops. I asked him about hiking into Burma with the Mrs and 3 guides. He responded with "No go sunshine you nuts murderers and bandits, guerrillas and druglords roam those places but it real nice and pretty there like a jungle version of Kashmir shame about the wars there".

Almost got pickpocketed but headed back to Chang-Mai and headed to Rangoon. Touched down. Got the biggest grilling by the customs I ever had, Thai- Burma relations probably. Went up to Mandalay enjoyed the cuisine
and hospitality and over to Thanbyuzayat and Pladuk (I spelt em right correct me if im wrong) maybe you know this place im sure. If not this is the place those Jap brutal barstads made there mark on the River Kuai (remember the Bridge and the movie im sure) and made Allied POWs suffer horrifically in all. Felt like a very, very sad place, nice decent memorial they put up therem laid a reef there. Did not go on the train ride in respect for those who built it. Went back by bus to Rangoon, got a plane and headed up to Saigon Nam.

As soon as I touched down I felt like a kid then back there in the shit. Sure there was'nt any random rocket attacks and places burning in the distance with the rattle of sporadic gunfire, memories where there. After dropping off and sipping a bottle of scotch at a old restored French hotel. We both went to the old French embassy in Siagon and memories for us floated all back good memories. Nice trendy place those French know a thing or two about class. We stayed with some of my wifes old Vietnamese friends who stayed
and did not get out in 75 as everyone else did. Yes they were very PC for obvious reasons but were not very happy about their new rulers.

Went up to what was left of the old base at Nui Dat, Da Nang and An Loc. Those kommies sure did a good job not making it look like a warzone though it was bleetingly obvious 'something' had happened. Layed a reef for the unit and some roses and headed back. I had enough, some people can go back there at Nui Dat and feel better, the locals were nice but that was it. Too many people died there for no apparent reason and those commies won't even put up a decent memorial for the fallen just the screwball bs properganda. I respect all who fought there even the old VC cadres I met did to. O well the world does'nt really change does it.

end ramble

Ramrod.

Last edited by Ramrod429; 03-17-2004 at 16:11.
Ramrod429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub