Just the ticket: Ford's soft lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2002, 18:58   #1 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Just the ticket: Ford's soft lights

Here is an interesting article from Drive:

Quote:
The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday October 11 2002

The lights on the new Fairmont Ghia could land owners in trouble with the law.
Drivers of the flagship Ford face $74 police infringement notices - because the "decorative" lights in the front bumper could be mistaken for fog lamps.

Drive discovered the unique lighting system after spending a day trying to find the switch to turn the "fog lamps" off.

Under the Australian Road Rules - rule 217, subsection 1 to be precise - fog lamps may only be illuminated in fog or "atmospheric conditions where visibility is at a minimum".

In the Ghia, Ford fitted the new lights to the lower section of the front bumper - where fog lamps are usually located. They go on with the headlights and cannot be switched off independently.

Ford Australia says the lights meet all relevant Australian Design Rule standards and produce a softer beam than fog lamps or driving lights.

But, as Drive has found, there could be confusion among the law enforcers as to what constitutes a fog lamp.

Drive showed the car to 10 highway patrol officers this week and each said, had they not been made aware of the difference, they would issue a ticket.

"I reckon owners of these cars are going to pulled over constantly," said a highway patrol sergeant with 25 years' experience. "Once the motorist explained it to us, I would say most officers would not issue the ticket. But how many owners are going to know the difference?"

If you think the police are confused, so is Ford. Information supplied to media clearly states that "fog lamps" are fitted to the Fairmont Ghia, but when contacted for this story the company said they are "decorative lamps".

Ford Australia's vice president of product development, Trevor Worthington, said "The lights on the Ghia are merely visual jewellery to give the car a high-class look."

There is no special mention or warning to owners about the so-called "decorative lights" in the Falcon handbook. Police officers we spoke to were concerned that owners would receive tickets not knowing they were in the right.

"It looks like a fog lamp, it'll probably get a fog-lamp ticket," said a senior constable with nine years' highway patrol experience. "We don't carry instruments that measure light intensity and, the reality is, when you're stopped on the side of the road, you can't easily pick the difference.

"I think Ford should have thought twice about putting them there. There are going to be a lot of angry people going to court."

In Victoria, the home of Ford Australia, it is not illegal for motorists to drive with fog lamps illuminated in clear conditions. NSW modified its Australian Road Rule code to include the fog-lamp penalty, among others.

Ford's Worthington denied that the new lights - and the possible implications in NSW - was an oversight.

"No, it's definitely not an oversight," he said. "They are not fog lamps, they are low beam, decorative lamps and they do not have the same intensity as fog lamps."

Adding to the confusion, in all new Falcon XR performance cars, the lights in the front bumper are fog lamps - and are able to be switched off. Driving with these illuminated in clear weather is an offence.

Only a small number of Fairmont Ghias have been distributed nationally so, Ford Australia says, it is yet to receive any complaints. Would Ford pay the fines?

"Certainly not," said Worthington. "That would be up to the motorist to take it up with police. They are not fog lamps, they are decorative lamps."

VOTE IN OUR NETPOLL
Should Ford pay the fines for any fog lamp tickets issued to drivers of the new Fairmont Ghia?
Email your vote (a simple "yes" or "no" will do) to cgable@mail.fairfax.com.au
I wonder if cops really would be that stupid not to know that they are fitted standard?
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 19:07   #2 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

That law doesn't seem to affect the SS drivers in NSW...
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Quote:
Originally posted by ford.boy
That law doesn't seem to affect the SS drivers in NSW...
ROFL!!!! Aint that the truth!!!!!
Old 10-10-2002, 19:15   #4 (permalink)

So what happens when the Officer asks you to switch them off?
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 19:16   #5 (permalink)
cArSiK

Quote:
Originally posted by PURSUTE
So what happens when the Officer asks you to switch them off?
you tell him/her you cant , they are not foglights and your on your way.

Simple if you ask me....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 19:41   #6 (permalink)

I go past a SS every afternoon with the fog lights on. They are bloody bright.

A pain being pulled over but you should be able to explain it and not get a ticket.

By the way, why does NSW have a different ADR to Vic?

Ford Focus: The car that flies :s6:
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 20:13   #7 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

confused

It seems to me that Drive.com.au really has run out of things to
write about.

And as for the cops, they are too busy manning speed cameras
to do real work - not that pulling people over for such ridiculous things is real work - but what else is new ?

///Jake
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

lol if its legal for highway patrol to drive with their driving/fog lights on in their SS it shoudl be legal for us, if i got caught in my dads Fairmont when he gets it ill be telling mr PLODD where he can STICK his ticket and it wont be plesent

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 20:36   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by UNR8D
lol if its legal for highway patrol to drive with their driving/fog lights on in their SS it shoudl be legal for us, if i got caught in my dads Fairmont when he gets it ill be telling mr PLODD where he can STICK his ticket and it wont be plesent
Exactly. I've seen a few HP cars with the foggies on. They should also enforce the sue of rear foglights but we've had more than a few threads on that issue already :oo1: :dead:

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 20:38   #10 (permalink)

What a pathetic stupid article. Drive have lost the plot. Simple solution, let police know the new lights on the ba Fairmont ghias are decorative and don't pull them over. Absolute rubbish!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub