Keep the AU or upgrade to an AU3??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2002, 14:51   #1 (permalink)

Question Keep the AU or upgrade to an AU3???

It's that time again - Finance Contract is up on the XR8 and I need to decide what to do... It isn't as easy as it sounds :hrm:

I have a modified AU1 XR8 (1999). It's done 36K's and is in mint condition.

My options are refinance the final "balloon" payment and keep the AU1 for another 3 years, or trade it in and upgrade to an end-of-line run out AU3. (It's too hard to sort something out so I can wait for an AV, they won't be available until October, & I need to so something in June).

The question isn't which car is best to have parked in the garage, it's how have you guys sorted out in your mind what is the best financial deal.

As I see it, you've got car finance companies (Ford Credit, meaning high interest charges, but the ability to have balloon payments etc.) vs paying for the car with the mortgage (lower interest, but over a MUCH longer period). If you use the mortgage, you can't use that money for other BIG things (like better house, second house - whatever).

Then you've got keep a car for 3 years vs keep a car for 6 years. Has anyone figured out yet which gives the less loss in value on cars like XR8s? "Own" two XR8's in 6 years, or one.

So - what have all the brains out there thought about this issue in the past?? What deals have you wished you'd never done, and what deals have you gone through with and been happy with all the way?

Keen to see what the consensus is here.
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2002, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
gone

Personally I would drop the Xr and upgrade to the T series

A Series 1 or 2 should tie you over nicely for another 3 year period!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 14:59   #3 (permalink)

It's not that easy to do in NZ dude - not too many T-Series have made the trip across the ditch. :sad: :sad:
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 15:07   #4 (permalink)
gone

Sorry didnt even think about that!

The IMO, if your hanging out for the av, regig the finance for purchase of an AV., dont lock yourself into another 3 year term
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 15:32   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

My opinion is to refinance for a 12 month period with a large balloon.

That way you get to bridge until Barra will be in available volume and you don't get stuck with another vehicle for 3 years.

In relation to finance methods (banks, vs credit unions, vs finance companies) you will have to get the financial calculator out to see who is best as if you think low interest rate is low cost then this is a hoax.

Even if you can't get a short term loan with balloon just take one that has similar repayments over the required term, ensure the rate and exit penalties are reasonable so that you can eject in the next 12 months to buy a barra - easy!
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 17:21   #6 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Spend the money you'd pay to swap to AU3 on engine upgrades and the AU3 body kit.
Old 04-28-2002, 18:35   #7 (permalink)

AV release date

If your considering waiting for an AV, I've heard from some of the Ford sales people that the AV XR's will not be released until after the end of this year.
I'm not sure whether this is just a sales ploy to encourage continuation of AU sales or the truth, perhaps someone else can enlighten this fact or fiction?
mike98AUXR6VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 20:02   #8 (permalink)

I have an unconfirmed report that there has been an order go in for an AV XR8 in Tassie. Dealer has told him Nov.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 21:30   #9 (permalink)

another way to look at it is that it may be better to wait for a s2 or s3 av as they will have ironed out the inevitable first model problems. therefore a 3 year finance deal on an au3 would be just about perfect.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 21:46   #10 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

We asked for a Wild Violet AV XR8 (hehehe), our dealer said it wouldn't be released until January - the "normal" models will be released earlier. Something like what they did with the Series 3 and the T3 release dates I think.

Also I agree with Pursute, look at the AU 1 versus the AU 2.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub