Keep it Inline! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2002, 10:15   #1 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Keep it Inline!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...096590&r=0&t=0

theres an EFI crossflow up for sale on E-bay, saw the link on fordsix.com's forums. Whats different about it is the fact that there is a quote from a Ford exec at the time comparing our motor to their 3.8 V6:

'I would do anything, I mean anything, to get hold of that Aussie six for our cars. By comparison, it makes our engines look like boat anchors.'

And another one, from a different guy:

' We spent $X million F!x#! on a new V6, it's bent and it still isn't half as good as that Aussie alloy thumper! What the hell are we doing here?'

Whats particularly disturbing is the fact that there have been several press releases stating that this same motor is going to replace our 4.0 inline six. I for one would not like to find out the hard way that this motor is going to be crappy. The only development it has undergone to improve its performance since the early 80s is to include a siamesed port 4 valve per cylinder head arrangement. This is the base motor in the current Mustang, a Hyundai Tiburon with an exhaust and filter can easily beat one in a straight line drag race. More importantly, the I6s are fairly indestructable compared to V6s (7 main bearings versus 4 mains), and I6s do not need an internal balance shaft in order to stay balanced (Its why the 4.0 is better than the Buick 3.8 in NVH stakes)

We've got a good thing going here guys, if youre buying a six-cylinder Falcon, insist it is fitted with an inline six!
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 11:15   #2 (permalink)

The 3.8 V6 we may be getting is in no way related to the current one. The current one is basically a 302W with 2 cylinders chopped off. Im pretty sure the same goes for the Buick 3.8.

The new one will be DOHC, 3/4 Valve, all alloy etc

Oh and a V6 5speed Mustang run low-mid 15 stock in the US (Autos are much slower though, kinda like the Falcon), so I would find it hard to believe a Hyundai Tiburon could beat one, letalone easily doing it.....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I don't care if it is a new one or an old one.
If it's got 6 cylinders and its bent I don't want it.
Keep my six straight.

STAY INLINE!
Old 05-02-2002, 16:09   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

If the AV or later model does option a 3.8L V6, I hope they still keep the I6 as a option. That way you can let the buyers decide.

I6 is generally well liked, as much as a six can. With a turbo it would help smooth out that roughness high in the rev's and give it stomping performance.

Look how hard a time Holden had of selling the LS1 to people over the old Holden V8.. Most agree the LS1 is a excellent engine, its smooth, its alloy, its got 5.7 Litres, its came from the corrvette, its got plenty of room for more power. But people still dislike it, some for good reasons, others because of some what unfounded..

Concidering the US 3.8L V6 engines aren't well reguarded by anyone for alot of reasons, people are going to be sceptical of a new one instantly. People are afraid of unproven things.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

With the effort they've done to get finally produce a twin-cam I6, why are they going V6? Are we importing these engines, or will the Geelong engine plant have to under go yet another multi-million dollar refit to produce the new engines?
Old 05-02-2002, 18:17   #6 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Thats what i was thinking !!! :bwhoa3:
Old 05-02-2002, 19:18   #7 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Expect to see the '05 Falc with a V instead of an I. Once again, brand new motor still under development in the states. Alloy, VCT ~3.8L etc...
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 23:15   #8 (permalink)
aurora

I just love my inline 6 engine under the boonet of my AU1 and has done 55,000 kilometres easily. I hate those Holden V6's
Most V6's sound terrible, with a K&N filter fitted, i find my I6 sounds like a baby v8 at anything above 3,000 revs. Sweet

Not interested in the new Falcon, may be like by the Public because it is much more conservative but i like radical, fresh designs
AV : Boxy euro styled trash
Old 05-02-2002, 23:20   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by aurora
AV : Boxy euro styled trash
Oh boy are you gunna be eating your words in Sept!! Trust me mate, Barra isn't trash.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 00:15   #10 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom XR
With the effort they've done to get finally produce a twin-cam I6, why are they going V6? Are we importing these engines, or will the Geelong engine plant have to under go yet another multi-million dollar refit to produce the new engines?
Don't forget the DOHC was originally designed in the 80's for the EA.
The AU i6 would have required at least casting changes too, and to a lesser degree, the provision for the 2 Tickford heads (HP/VCT)

So I guess it appears that changes such as these arn't huge, and can be cost justified within a short period.

We can only hope for the sake of Aussie worker, that they do convert the engine plant when the time comes.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub