Knights perfer right hand drive? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 21:11   #1 (permalink)

Knights perfer right hand drive?

Never really though about it before, but why do we have some countrys with right hand drive cars and others left hand drives? (Ignorying the road markings...)

The story I got told for right hand drive (Don't know how true or far fetch it is) is that Knights uses to hold their lances in their right hand, therefore when they did their spear some poor sod thing with the lance they always rode on the left hand side and attack to the right, hence why we drive on the left hand side. It's stupided enought to make sense and due the lack of a better expernation it's all I have, but it still doesn't explain the left hand drives.

Some days I have too much time on my hands....

Last edited by NCGhia; 03-25-2004 at 21:13.
NCGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Re: Knights perfer right hand drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGhia
Some days I have too much time on my hands....
Lol...I am about at that stage at the moment.

Interesting theory, it may just be plausible enough to be true. I haven't heard any other reasons as to why it is so.
Old 03-25-2004, 21:43   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

could be but why is there only like 3 or so countries that drive on the left when the majority of the world drives on the right?
if you ask me the rest of the world is wrong and they should know better!! lol
Old 03-25-2004, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
could be but why is there only like 3 or so countries that drive on the left when the majority of the world drives on the right?
if you ask me the rest of the world is wrong and they should know better!! lol
Theres a lot more than 3 countries. You'll find that the vast majority of countries that are in the commonwealth drive on the Left.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

It started out as difference between Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere. Someone decided that it would have less effect on the earth's rotation if the northern hemisphere drove on the right hand side, and the southern on the left - that way, things would balance out and not cause the earth to rotate any faster. Now....if you believe that, I have an Opera House I'd like to sell you! LOL

Really....it's because accidents used to occur when there was no defined "side" of the road. The english had always travelled on the left hand side and after an early automobile accident between an Englishmen and an American in America, the Englishmen was heard to shout "Get on the right side of the road". So the American took him literally (as they tend to do, no offence) and that's why they drive on the right hand side, but not the correct side. Other countries that drive on the right do so because most (if not all) of them at one time or another have benefited from US Foreign Aid, which would include LHD cars, and for drivers to greet, or road-rage, each other as they pass in opposite directions, they have to drive on the right. Harbour Bridge....anyone? LOL

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 22:12   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
for drivers to greet, or road-rage, each other as they pass in opposite directions, they have to drive on the right
But surely it's easier to aim a pistol out the drivers side window with the right hand? So driving on the left seems to be far more effective for true road rage!

Old 03-26-2004, 08:56   #7 (permalink)

Question Re: Knights perfer right hand drive?

My research supports the Knights in the left lane story. Old British laws also made the non-military people stick to the right side of the road so that they would be disadvantaged if they drew wepons against the military.

There are other stories that claim that driving on the left was a carry over for the Brits because in the laws of the sea ships pass to the left. Britian had still memories of being the "Rulers of the Waves" when autos first appeared. Interesting that when in comes to trains the operator (U.S. "Engineer", UK "Train Driver") in Britian sits on the left and in the U.S. on the right.

Now, why do some countries drive on the right side? Blame it all on the LACKk of love for the Pommies. Prior to WW I U.S. autos could be ordered with the streeing on either side, or center. When the country entered WW I it had to start standardizing parts and equipment so that all the allies could use the same equipment if need be.

The U.S. wasn't a World Power at the time but knew it future so when it came down to choosing between RHD and LHD th ereal question was "Do you want to be a World Power or remain hinding behind the skirts of the British"? The need to exchange goods to all the World meant LHD.

Trivia: A list of names of the countries that have RHD is longer then those names of countries with LHD. But the LHD countries are larger and have more people.

In some European countries large trucks/lorries are required to be RHD even if the cars from that country are LHD. The reasoning is that the streets are acient and the operator of a large vehicle would do less damage if he could look directly down th eright side of the road (RHD driven on right side of road).

Here's a related question: Why do oval races in the U.S. run counterclockwise (anti clockwise) while the same races in all British COmmonwealth countries except Canada run clockwise? Could this also be anti-Pommie related?
uterozbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 17:44   #8 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Um, what if a Knight was left-handed?

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 17:46   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Horse
Um, what if a Knight was left-handed?
He was probably clubbed to death with a large trout for being a heretic!

Sheesh!!!

Last edited by Casper; 03-26-2004 at 18:00.
Old 03-27-2004, 17:55   #10 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
He was probably clubbed to death with a large trout for being a heretic!

Sheesh!!!
But IRC wasn't around then
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub