Krogdahl DOHC Head - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2001, 11:54   #1 (permalink)

eek Krogdahl DOHC Head

I just found the www.krogdahlheads.com site, who, if you dont already know, sells a DOHC head for our 4.0L six. After seeing the feature in Motor mag a few months back where they claim it makes 240kw@7000Rpm I thought it may be a better bang for your buck than modifying an XR8.

How wrong was I!! All it produces is 11RWKW on an XR6(probably even less on a standard 6) for $5500 and not including installation! Yes with some ECU tuning im sure so more power could be extracted but that would equal more $$$$ for a minor gain.

But for about the same amount you could have yourself a supercharger, and instead of a meagre 11RWKW youd have ~240Kw at the engine! Or if the pockets were really deep then combining the 2 could be an option
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2001, 17:03   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hmmm interesting that a DOHC head only making 11kw more at the wheels is about 20kw at the engine. Yeah not real good value although i'm sure with tweaking of the computer you'll get past the 200kw at the fly mark.

Cobiming the 2 options super charger and DOHC will make a falcon a flyer. No complaints about the doey takeoffs then, coupled with a 5 speed. :D :D :D

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Arrh, I haven't read the street machine article.

I can't blame him for the small increase in power, the engine obviously wasn't even tuned up properly. Also, he isn't a expert engineer, obviously a fantastic machinist, but he doesn't have the expertise or funding to blow your socks off, not with a prototype anyway.

Its a very weird head, alloy, twin cam, twin spark, but still only 12 valves.

Personally I think he may have been on something with going DOHC, it has more of a chance of making the engine smoother than Ford VCT.

What Ford should do is quite simple, develop a 24 Valve SOHC VCT head. Maybe twin spark. And a alloy block. DI wouldn't be a bad idea either.. Increase fuel economy and power.

Yes, keep the 12 valve VCT for lower model cars, the 24 V SOHC VCT DI TS for the xr and upper models.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

IPhido:
At least one of the things you mention has been seen in real life by yours truly on a mule development vehicle! No further hints.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 22:47   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

I would guess twin spark, to help with that "falcon roughness" that all the magazines complain about. Ford OZ is hardly going to be playing with DI, and 24 valve I don't think is that close.

Twinspark VCT head might lower emissions and increase power to 180. That would be nice..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 02:00   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

There's a lesson in using abbreviating acronyms in there..... :o :o

On second thoughts, I have seen something different from those that you mention.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
Mustang Member

I have looked at the website for the Krogdahl head.

It appears to use alot of the stock inline parts just shifting said parts to a new head design. That would still be 100X better than the integral log head like on my Mustang.

But to be honest I am getting a Oz 250-2v head shipped to me because I cant afford anything else.
anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 00:59   #8 (permalink)
Ducati Monster

Re: Krogdahl DOHC Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlushac11 View Post
I have looked at the website for the Krogdahl head.

It appears to use alot of the stock inline parts just shifting said parts to a new head design. That would still be 100X better than the integral log head like on my Mustang.

But to be honest I am getting a Oz 250-2v head shipped to me because I cant afford anything else.
Hi, has anyone in the States thought of using a 4.1 crossflow in the mustangs?
the range of intake manifolds = two/four barrel holley and they even did an efi version, and toyed with turbos but never went on the market,a rare triple side draft webber intake combo on a motor is for sale here in Oz. also the range of exhaust manifold/ headers, roller rockers. these heads use the same as standard cleveland rockers. and electronic distributor.
they use the same gearbox/trans patten as the log style 4.1. the only drawback is you would have to use the crossflow block and bolt-on accessories etc. however the up side is the price, as they are everywhere here. i just bought an engine and auto trans for au$275.00

anyway i just wanted to know.
and may be open up a few options to those thinking of upgrading.
thanks everyone, kind regards Andrew from the ute (pick-up) capital of the world.

Last edited by JG41XYGS; 02-19-2008 at 03:48. Reason: bad spelling
JG41XYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub