laptop hunting, DELL opinions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ā» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 23:58   #1 (permalink)

laptop hunting, DELL opinions

This is a config of a dell notebook i am thinking of purchasing. Pretty much 80% of the time it will be used for net surfing, the rest general pc work. I may be going overboard with the options and grunt but it will be kept for the next 4-5yrs so i thought i better get a few bells and whistles.

What is DELL'S service and warrenteee repairs like? Is their build quality good/ordinary compared to HP/COMPAC? Which wireless option should i go for, intel or dell?

thanks Matt
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 00:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: laptop hunting, DELL opinions

Opps can't get the link to work. Some opinions on DELL'S laptops, experenices, woes would be appreciated anyway.
Old 05-11-2004, 00:14   #3 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Can't access the URL as your cart has expired.

We use Dell Desktops and Notebooks here at work and they are pretty good reliability wise. Their site has drivers updated quite regularly as well, so upgrading software isn't much hassle.

But, if you do need support, be prepared for a fun time dealing with their Low Paid Indian Tech Support™ team.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmaticā„¢) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothmanā„¢.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 00:17   #4 (permalink)
freelance

If you want Dell buy Latitude not Dimension series, they are the corporate workhorses that wont crack crumble and self destruct.

Dell service and delivery was supurb but the last few months it has diminished rapidly.
If your not a corporate customer, prepare for a good hour or so of telephone organ music, before you actually get to speak to Raj in Repairs.
A TAFE course in Hindustani may help relation with Tech support, but after you remind them you are a customer and not a numbskull and yes you have run the diagnostics they are generally quick to get repairs done.

Compaq/HP are hard to make sense of, since HP took over the quality of all the model ranges varies.

Another note with Dell if you want to save $$$ dont tick their option boxes, base prices are usually keen but its often cheaper to buy a larger hard drive and extra RAM, carry cases etc from name brand options at another retailer.
Put the original hard drive in a $60 usb enclosure and you have a handy backup/transfer drive.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 00:21   #5 (permalink)

Arent dimension desktop computers? or are they laptop also?
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Yep, Dimensions are desktop class machines (as are Optiplex) and Latitude and Inspiron are notebook class. Dunno what others think but I reckon the Inspirons are shite. Stick with the Latitudes. But I'm speakig from a business viewpoint. I think the Inspirons are aimed more for the home user or SOHO market.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmaticā„¢) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothmanā„¢.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 00:26   #7 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose_1
Arent dimension desktop computers? or are they laptop also?
Yep, brain fade on my account Dimension (Desktop) and Inspiron (Notebook) are home jobbies, with the notebooks particularly the plastics, hinges, connectors etc dont cop regular (Dell would call it heavy) use.

Optiplex (desktop) and Latitude (Notebook) are the corporate ranges less features but far more robust.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:22   #8 (permalink)

we have inspirons at work, and i have an Inspiron 8500, one with the wide screeeeeeeeen.. we have 2x8200, 2x8500 and 2x8600. I think we are buying another this week too...

they have been great, only had our first problem with one this week, and the tech was out today. make sure you get Next Business Day parts and Labour warranty. its definitly worth it.

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:18   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, i will try the link again.

http://dellstore02.dell.com.au/publi...?prd_id=214888

The only thing i have upgraded is the ram to 512, thou i would like the dvd burner but at an extra 300 bucks me no think so! The screen is only 14" but i want to stay with pentium m processor. If i choose a 15' the only processor is p4 and i don't want a wide screen which is the other option with a pentuim m.

I have heard that the plastic's used are a little cheap, but the point about the telephone techs being in india is a bit of a concern.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:21   #10 (permalink)

The budget will stretch to 2600 bucks, any other brands/models you guys can suggest?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub