Lazy man seeking advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2003, 18:49   #1 (permalink)
NAHSED

Lazy man seeking advice

Hey ppl, im new to this place so i'll just give you the rundown on what I drive so you can get the overall idea. This may be a bit boring but if you dont wanna read boring crap about my car skip to the part of this post where i say its safe to read on.

1990 EAII S-Pac Falcon
3.9ltr multipoint, 5spd manual
Red, lowered, sunroof, red/black sports steering wheel, red leather gear shift knob, baby-eater exhaust tip, rear FPV spoiler, superman carseat covers :s6:
Audio: Clarion headunit, kenwood fronts and rears, 1 x P.O.S amp and 1 x 12" sub.

Bit of history:
My parents bought me this car when i was 16.. (im 20 now) for me to learn in, at first I was peeved coz I wasn't keen on the idea of driving manual.. but dad told me a manual EA-S was pretty hard to find (not sure if this is true) and said it's a good thing.. so I learned and I love the manual now..
Everything mechanical in this car has been replaced since i've had it, except for the LSD diff, that just keeps on kicking.
I've put the new steering wheel and gearknob on myself, and I did upgrade the stereo.. unfortunately I forgot to upgrade the security when i did so and now my stereo has been seriously downgraded.
What I HAD in it was: everything I mentioned above except instead of the crap amp and old sub, I had 2 amps (1 x Alpine V-Power and 1 x AudioLine), the alpine ran 2 x 600W 12" Pioneer new series subs, custom mounted in black carpeted box which basically was a wall directly behind my back seats with 2 big silver subs staring at you..
But thats history now..

SAFE TO READ ON

Well the reason im here now is because i'd like some advice, I was thinking of selling my car and buying something new (possibly even a BA) but debt doesnt appeal to me.. im a young man, and im sure you all know what im craving.. a sexy fast car.
The said mobile (my car, NAHSED) has seen 215km/h but top end speed isnt what i'm after.. i want a bit more 'umph' off the line.

So what im asking, is someone to tell me the easiest ways for someone like me (mechanically impared) to boost performance a bit, whether it be something I can do myself.. or something I can pay someone else to do.

Engine aside, my plan is to completely re-do the interior of the car, take everything out until its just a shell.. clean it up, tighten some bolts and get rid of any rattles.. I was thinking maybe a respray and some panel work coz i have a small but noticable dint on the rear corner of the car.. also I have a rust hole on the boot which I want to fix..
Once i've done this i'll put in new carpet.. not sure on if im going to go black/grey or red (i was thinking maybe cream but it'd get too dirty)..

Dad is looking around for me for some late model seats to put in my car, AU, BA kinda era.. and I might either replace the dash or just clean mine up a bit..

Once all of this is done, i'm going to put the best security I can find in the car, even if I have to hire someone to sit in it while im not there.. I dont care.. (j/k) and do up my stereo again, this time using better knowledge and more money than I did last time.. resin moulding things and maybe even a little light show.. Depending on how nuts I want to go, I could get someone to get rid of the back doors and take out the back seat, make the car a 2 door and have everything behind the front seats decked out with audio and lights.. But thats just a distant dream to me..

So here's where you guys come in, if you're still reading..

Can anyone provide me with any hints/tips? Even a thought on turbo?

After im done i'll be happy to meet up with people and show off the results..

By the way, if you happen to live around Melbourne, particularly the west of it, you might notice me if you see the huge "nah... said." sticker on my back window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2003, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Re: Lazy man seeking advice

yup gearing is the killer in falcons....get a lower ratio in the back end and you'll lauch HEAPS harder. I got a few quotes for 3.9s and they were roughly $900 with new bearings plus $100 for LSD.

Extractors and exhuast is probaly a good place to start...the factory manifolds are asthmatic to say the least. After that, look at a cam and headwork...do a search or 'Jim Mock' (ford tuner) and have a read....
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 03:34   #3 (permalink)

If you lower the ratio what will this mean the revs are doing at 110km(sorry victorian 100km)
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 03:52   #4 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bEAn86
If you lower the ratio what will this mean the revs are doing at 110km(sorry victorian 100km)
basically, lower ratio, increased engine speed, higher ratio, decreased engine speed....

Lets say, that you currently have a diff with a ratio of 2.0:1, and you cruise at 100kph at 1500rpm. If you were to lower your ratio to 3.0:1 this is a 50% decrease( {3-2}/2= 0.5) which means at any given speed, your engine will be revving 1.5 times as much as before. so now you will rev at 2250rpm (which is you previous engine speed, plus the 50% more of you original engine speed that will be present) at 100kph.

so basically, lower ratio, increased engine speed, higher ratio, decreased engine speed....

hope that makes sense
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 22:14   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Welcome to the forums. I agree the diff change is a good idea, and you might then find yourself wanting more traction, then extractors etc.. it never ends. :D If you are thinking of late model seats, it might be an idea to buy a written-off EF Fairmont or something from the auctions and you'll even be able to put in its dash if you have the time. Oh and if you check out eafalcon.com in depth and/or come to any local meets, you'll get even more ideas. :s5

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S

Last edited by Troutman; 06-21-2003 at 22:17.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:50   #6 (permalink)

Hey NAHSED, email me about the turbo idea at info@aussiexport.com I have an AIT EA Turbo so I can vouch for the turbo as being a very nice option. :)
AITturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub