Learner Driver in the house - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2002, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

Learner Driver in the house

Alright let me explain what happened fellas.
About 1 month ago I FINALLY (could have got it 5 months earlier but I am lazy) decided to go down to VicRoads and get me my Learner's Permit thingo, so I can officially and legally drive on the road.
Now I passed it easilly and have been receiving official and expensive driving lessons for about a month already.
Well, after a month of going very well (according to the insrtuctor) I finally managed to get my uncle to let me drive his GT (as seen in my signiature). I was extatic and also shit scared that something would happen to it. But everything was going just fine.
Now today, we were going down for the life changing drive down the ring road, then up onto Geelong road and off to Geelong and a drive around there (see some relatives) then we started to head back.
Now everything was fine until I got into Broadmeadows. About 3pm this after noon, Sunday, I was driving along pasoce vale road, when some jack ass copper stops me. To me and my uncle's outrage he fined us and 'informed' me that I was not aloud to drive such a high powered vehicle. He also said if it happened again, my uncle would lose demerit points, than maybe get his licence suspended.
Now, my question is, can they do this. I mean I was with a fully licenced driver of 30 years. I was not speeding etc. Can they do this???
Sorry for the long story but I am kinda pissed off. I haven't even got a real licence and I already have a damn record!
ahhhhhh

Old 12-01-2002, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by YuGoStaR
Now, my question is, can they do this. I mean I was with a fully licenced driver of 30 years. I was not speeding etc. Can they do this???
Yes they can. It's called maximum power to weight ratio of the said vehicle. L & P platers are banned from driving vehicles over a certain power to weight. Not sure what it is myself.
Your uncle should've known better too. This is not a new law.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
Old 12-01-2002, 01:39   #3 (permalink)
Future Art Student

Bull! Only P-platers have power to weight ratio restrictions. There is no mention of said restrictions for L-platers in the Road to Solo Driving book. You sure got jack-ass copper right. And they wonder why people don't respect traffic coppers...
You're not lazy YuGO, I've been 16 since March 14th, and I haven't got MY L's yet...
Old 12-01-2002, 02:08   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8Rebel2001
Bull! Only P-platers have power to weight ratio restrictions.
Both L & P plate drivers are restriced licences. Both are subject to power to weight ratio laws.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
Old 12-01-2002, 02:14   #5 (permalink)
Cyclone Pilot

mad

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8Rebel2001
I've been 16 since March 14th, and I haven't got MY L's yet...
Hehehe now THAT's lazy!!
Just kidding XR8Rebel2001 - tryin' to stir ya!
I remember when I got my L's. Still remember the day... It was my 16th birthday and I rushed down to the motor registry and sat my test. Passed it and then drove my Dad's car home in Peak hour!!! Was bloody marvellous..... :s6:

Anyways, back to the topic of this post...

In SA we don't have these restrictions (although who knows, they may come in at a later stage) but I think that if you are with a fully licenced driver, there should be no questions about what sort of car you are driving - as the full licenced driver is there to direct you.

With P platers, I can see why the restrictions are in place, as there is nobody to supervise them and they can do whatever they want.

Granted, not all 'teachers' (fully licenced drivers supervising L platers) are completely responsible, but at least the L plater has somebody next to them with a bit of experience under their belt.

Oh well, I guess if u get an traffic cop who is a dickhead and has had a bad day there is not much u can do about it..

Still, I feel for ya Yugostar. Good luck with the driving (and get back into that GT whenever u can... heheh )
Old 12-01-2002, 02:54   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Good try XR8Rebel2001.

You are correct in saying that there is no mention in the Road to Solo driving book but that is an advisory document at best.

The Victorian Traffic Regulations do confirm that the restrictions apply to learner permit holders as well.

Next time you want to slag off at the police force, at least get your facts right.

This thread is closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub