Learner Drivers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 01:18   #1 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Learner Drivers

After driving to Newcastle and back today on the F3, I have to get this off my chest.

Am I the only one that disagrees with learners driving on freeways or any highway where the speed limit is 100 kph or over?

I know that learners have to get time on the road and practice driving, picking up the skills that will hopefully keep them alive.

But honestly, does having them drive on dead straight roads while cars are passing them actually teaching them something?

Nothing against learners, I was one once but I think it's dangerous to have them amble along at 70kph while cars are passing them at 110 -120.

You might say, well, they keep to the left and out of the way.

When you have trucks and 4WDs swerving around them cutting of other vehicles off in an attempt to get around them it creates dangerous situations.

Anyway had to say something. Anyone who has ever travelled on the F3 Xmas day will know how frustrated I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2002, 04:15   #2 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Mate, travelling on the F3 any day of the week can be bad enough...

I agree also, learners shouldn't be able to drive on busy freeways especially on christmas day when the traffic is bad. If I were to drive along at 70 kays on a freeway a cop would pull me up for hindering traffic flow or something like that.

But learners do need to learn how to drive on these straight bits of roads at sustained periods of time with other cars around. I think discretion on the licence holders part here would go a long way. i.e choose a time when traffic is not at a peak etc.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:17   #3 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Hmmmm if these learners are doing 70kph I would think that means that they haven't had enough experience off the freeway. I don't see a problem with learners on freeways, they just need to have enough driving experience before they tackle the 100kph plus so that when they do travel on the freeway they can do the limit like everyone else
Old 12-25-2002, 05:50   #4 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

I recon learners should be banned from the freeways, most people shouldnt have to tackle the f3 until they are on their Ps. Nothing like an 18 wheeler bearing down on an old barina doing 70kph......
And FFS teach them to leave the right lane for overtaking only.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 07:20   #5 (permalink)
Cyclone Pilot

As AusXH has said, Learners do need to experience driving on these types of roads, as irritating as it can be for other drivers on these very same roads.

The only problem I see, and it would be a hard one to do anything about, is the fact that learner drivers are only allowed to do 80kph. Then, as soon as they get their P's, they can do 100kph. It's only 20kph, but at these sorts of speeds, it makes a lot of difference.

There needs to be something done to bridge that gap. Learners do need to experience driving at 100kph, even if it is only with a Licenced driving instructor (probably the best option).
Old 12-25-2002, 07:22   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dave_au
I recon learners should be banned from the freeways, most people shouldnt have to tackle the f3 until they are on their Ps. Nothing like an 18 wheeler bearing down on an old barina doing 70kph......
you try coming off your L's, and tackling the Freeway for the first time. It isn't exactly the most comforting experience, in fact, it scares the living piss out of someone. Having someone along side, who knows all about it can help that.

Think of it like this, would you rather someone, who has a an experience road memeber sitting along side them, teaching them how to prevent deaths on our road, branding the yellow plate, or would you rather a person, who doesnt have a clue about merging at 100kph, who is scared out of there pants (or worse, think there invincible), and dont have someone sitting there, explaining the fundamentals of freeway driving.

Im glad i was force to go under L's on the freeway, help me learn important skills.
Barra_4_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:26   #7 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

Not all Learners arent like that as i've seen Learners tackling the freeway with no problems. Of course there are learners who just don't know how to drive full stop and are trying to drive the freeways when they need to practice on normal suburbian streets first. There are plenty of people who are not on there Learners who like driving at their IQ level, it happened to me yesterday someone in a camry doing 75K's on the freeway blocking 4-5 cars and other people flying past in the other lane at 100-110 giving the people behind no chance of overtaking the moron.

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 13:12   #8 (permalink)
EFXR62

Hmm, i must be one of the 'lucky' learners, as i struggle to keep to the speed limits.. I can't stand driving slowly on highways, etc.. We're not all bad, you know!
Old 12-25-2002, 18:07   #9 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Not only should Learners get freeway experience they should also make it compulsory to get some country driving in........

The amount of people who have no idea about how to drive on country roads is scary......& these arn't only learners.......I have seen some horrific stuff from drivers who claim to have been driving for years.....

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 21:51   #10 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by dave_au
This is exactly my point of view. I never drove on a freeway until I was on my 'P's.

My first experience on the F3 didn't bother me since coming from Newcastle I've been traveling on that road ever since I can remember. Of course I was a passenger all that time, but when it came to my turn to be in the driver's seat it was like I had been driving it for years.

My arguement is that a learner can only do 70kph. They can drive on other roads at that speed ie. with a posted limit of 70 or 80 and get the same experience. This way they won't have cars approching them at 110.

As I said, this is not a bitch at learners, we were all there at some stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub