Leasing a car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 04:25   #1 (permalink)

Leasing a car

Looking a t getting the missus a new car Possibly Falcon SR as they look allright. She can lease a car thru work even thoiugh she is just a s**t kicker.....in other words (earns just under 40k). Is there benefits in leasing for here. Probably do under 25000kms a year. Thinks it is a novated lease. ne1 got any tips, information, webapges in simple languauge about leasing a caar that could hel me out here?

Cheers

PS I earn 50k a year but my company will not lease cars!!!!!!!!!
navy blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 04:39   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Leasing a car

Yeah, get the company to give her a car allowance and go and lease something on your own ( CHP ) and arrange the rest of the stuff ( like petrol, maitenance etc ) yourself with the allowance money.
I was offered a novated lease through work..for a BA XT 6 pack
I did it myself ... A BA XR8

It hinges on getting a car allowance. Go and see your accountant to see what they reccomend for your personal situation.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Crikey

If the car is taken as salary sacrifice I don't think on your wife's salary it will be cost effective. Take XA's advice, speak with an accountant, tax person before you proceed.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:00   #4 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy blue
Looking a t getting the missus a new car Possibly Falcon SR as they look allright. She can lease a car thru work even thoiugh she is just a s**t kicker.....in other words (earns just under 40k). Is there benefits in leasing for here. Probably do under 25000kms a year. Thinks it is a novated lease. ne1 got any tips, information, webapges in simple languauge about leasing a caar that could hel me out here?

Cheers

PS I earn 50k a year but my company will not lease cars!!!!!!!!!
There can be a benefit to your missus. The benefit could be more if you could lift the klms above 25k a year (this includes private klms).

The benefit comes from salary packaging the payments and expenses leading to a reduction in your before tax $ (thus leading to a saving in tax) and getting the expenses effectively GST-free.

The cost however is the resulting FBT (Fringe Benefits Tax), which has the effect of reducing the benefit (sometimes to nil or negative).

I assume there will be no business use, so the FBT cost will be say based on $35,000 (im not sure of the cost of the Falcon SR).

Based on more 15,000klm to 25,000klm annual klm's

$35,000 x 20% = $7,000 FBT cost

This cost her employer will (generally) require an "employee contribution", to avoid the prevailing FBT being paid by the employer which needs to be taken from AFTER tax pay.

If the klms were lifted to $25,000klm to $40,000 the FBT cost will be substantially reduced.

$35,000 x 11% = $3,850 FBT cost

The benefits (tax saved & GST) is more complicated to calculate, I suggest you find a Novated Lease calculator on the web or talk to someone who has a calculator. (Ive made up some basic calculators in excel see below 1st thread link)

I talked to Prosperion www.prosperion.com.au and they did a calc for me and emailed me the calculation showing the overall benefit.

Its a shame, they wont salary package at your work, because you could have done an "associate lease" for your missus against your salary. Your salary being higher then your missus the tax saving (benefit) will be higher.

Companies like Prosperion exist to take the hard work out of calculating and maintaining the salary package for the employer, instead of inhouse like at the accounting firm I work for :)

If you need any help with interpreting the calculation when received, I would be happy to help.

Also a few threads I started on the subject:
Are u being ripped off by your employer?
Get a tax deduction & GST-Free for restoring your car!

Cheers, goodluck!

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:56   #5 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

www.smb.com.au

go there and punch the details into the calculator they have there, works it all out for you

Cheers

Chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:17   #6 (permalink)
HSV

Keep in mind also if you have children that you can claim Family Tax Benefits on as well, this will drop your "assessable" income, get some dough back off the Government for a change. Also, depending on how your superannuation contributions are set up, this can also drop what rate the gov tax your super.

If in doubt, go see an accountant or some sort of independent financial advisor. DO NOT rush into anything, make sure you understand exactly how it will effect you, not the Smith's down the road, obviously different financial circumstances effect people differently.
Regards.
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub