Legal advice, FAST!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 22:37   #1 (permalink)
{';'}

Legal advice, FAST!!

Where do I begin?! I'm a bit pumped at the moment, so forgive me if I am a little unclear. I'm not in trouble, yet

BACKGROUND
Okay... I have been working with my current employer for just about two years now, and a little under a year as a supervisor. It is only "casual" employment, hence my hours vary from week to week. We've had this new manager for about a year now, and he isn't known for being the most easy-going bloke. However, I usually get along with him fine, but he is known to blast people and be very nit-picking with a lot of things.

This time last year I scored a full-time job on a casual contract until Christmas. I still managed to hold my current casual job and do the full-time one, even though I got burnt out (eight hours a day, then a further five to six hours straight after).

THE CURRENT SITUATION
ONE centre manager, ONE assistant manager/supervisor, and then there is THREE of us supervisors. TWO of the other supervisors are going on two/three months holidays in about a week, and the centre manager has known this for at least nine months. This just leaves me as the sole supervisor and the other two managers (centre + assistant).

There are 14 shifts in total for the week (day/night). The centre manager works five day shifts a week (Tuesday to Saturday), assistant manager does five shifts a week. This leaves four shifts that I have to do: Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night and Monday night. So it's not a very ideal situation for myself. Quite the contrary in fact. So long for having a weekend life.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
I applied for some factory work last night and got a phone call today to come in and do induction for "full-time" work tomorrow. I will most-likely begin Monday/Tuesday. It's five days a week, 4pm-9pm. It's better money too (a bit over $3 an hour extra).

WHY DO I WANT TO LEAVE?
I am sick of my centre manager's attitude of talking behind peoples backs, being a dirty old perve and giving me bullshit shifts. He even has the nerve to complain to the other staff about me asking for a few nights off in a row to study and sit my exams. In jest or not? No one knows with this prick. I was planning to look for a new part-time job next year anyhow, as I can't stand it much longer there (mostly the customers, the atmosphere isn't fun with two of my best mates leaving, and also I'm looking for a change).

WHY AM I CONCERNED?
I have been rostered on for the coming Friday-Monday night shifts for two weeks. What I want to know is, legally can I tell my current employer to "stick it" without being liable for anything? I have "signed" my shifts, meaning my initials are written next to the roster.

How should I approach my centre manger who will be in a rut without me, and most-likely explode? Bare in mind, I am willing to do at least this weekend's shift, and most-likely Monday's.

Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
No More Shaggin Wagon

Re: Legal advice, FAST!!

If your on casual, don't you only have to give a hours notice that you are quitting.

This is what a mate of mine did, was meant to start at 8.00am went in at seven saw the boss and said i'm quitting.

I'd say you'd be quite alright, if your only casual.

No sickies or holidays. What do they expect?
Old 11-04-2004, 00:31   #3 (permalink)
{';'}

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything until someone else mentioned that. I think it's only two hours notice I have to give.

Quote:
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
Old 11-04-2004, 00:41   #4 (permalink)

:|

i read your post...

i don't see how you need legal advice?

your contract should clearly state notice for resignation etc.
97ELGLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 00:47   #5 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

As a casual I believe you only have to give 2 hour notice, the fact that you are willing to do some of the shifts should be a bonus to them. Ring your local union rep and find out for sure, but casual's shifts can be cancelled at pretty short notice, so I am 99% sure that you can do the same.
Old 11-04-2004, 00:47   #6 (permalink)
{';'}

Yeah, I don't even know if I have that contract anymore. I am more concerned about me signing the shifts, ie. if I am bound to anything. I would just like to be sure about these things before I open my big mouth. I don't want it to backfire on me and have no job!

Quote:

Check my ride, HERE
Old 11-04-2004, 00:53   #7 (permalink)
1 MORE GO WITH A 4.0L

walked for similar reason a month ago (Full time Supervisor for 3 years) told em to shove it and left there and then . Only had forfit a weeks wage with no notice.
better than getting delt the shit for a week, and cost's em more money
swoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

XRated, your a casual, you have no need to worry. Turn it around the other way, if they wanted to get rid of you they would give you 1 hours notice. So dont stress, take the new job and tell them your on your way.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:13   #9 (permalink)
AU XR6 VCT 'WANNABE'

True words there Casper,
XRated, You've been put into quite a pickle there man, for your own peace of mind ditch the casual and make a good fist of the full time job at least the pays better the people are probably more assureing, less stress more time for study, as your job title suggests 'CASUAL' in other words they'll be able to fill your position at anytime.
Sounds like your being walked all over there too man.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:09   #10 (permalink)
waiting 4, 2nd Grandchild

Having been a casual before, you needn't worry as you only are required to give them one hours notice.

good luck with the new job.
xrgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub