Live For Speed... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 15:15   #1 (permalink)
Now driving an XF Falcon.

cool Live For Speed...

Just wondering if anybody else here has tried out this game on their PC.

If not, feel free to check it out by going to the Live For Speed web site.

Ok, so it may not be everybodys cup of hot drink, but it's not bad for the price - free to try out, 12 (UK pounds, which is approximately 17.20 euros) to purchase/unlock.

Oh and finally, if you're going to download it and you're using good old dial-up, you may want to use a download manager like Fresh Download - the download is 140MB...

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 10-21-2003 at 15:20.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 19:56   #2 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Re: Live For Speed...

A guy at school showed me this game on the school computers a few months back. i downloaded it and played it myself, must say that it's quite fun. But it sucks how you're limited to only a few cars unless u unlock it. Worth the download I reckon.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 20:08   #3 (permalink)

Oh yeah, you'll also need a fairly decent PC - an old Pentium 200 just isn't going to be fast enough.

It's playable on my PC, but frame rates hover between 20fps and 40fps, usually about the 25fps mark.

For reference, my PC has an AMD XP 1800+ CPU (overclocked to 1.73GHz), GeForce2 MX400 AGP 4x gfx (also overclocked), 512Mb DDR RAM (running at 276MHz), running Windows XP Pro. I know, not the latest, but good enough for most things I use it for...
Old 10-21-2003, 22:39   #4 (permalink)
WA Eseries Rep

Must say this game is pretty good.

I only have the current demo version but my cousin has paid for the first part (1 of 3) and bought a force feed back wheel with pedals and its really amazing.
Baxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 23:13   #5 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

I have a Momo Racing force-feedback wheel/pedals, it's really good fun to play. The price to unlock it is about $30 australian, and it's really worth it, IMO. Hopefully, they put a few V8's in there for the S2 release.

The MaDDeSTMaN - You might want to check your computer, I have a P4 1.6, 32mb Nvidia Gforce2, 256mb RAM and 98SE, and mine gets around 35-40fps with 3 cars, 800x600 and most graphics turned about the middle.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
FPV

Had the game for ages, well worth the price if you have a good PC :) im running 60-70fps

420+rwhp
YTRY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:23   #7 (permalink)

I play it with 12 racers (including myself) most of the graphics options either at the middle or maximum settings, in 800x600 16 bit colour, and with my anti-virus, firewall, email, web browser, seti@home and various other programs still running.

I'll try running it under Win 98 SE next time I reboot (I dual boot XP Pro & Win 98 SE, 98 SE for games, XP Pro for internet access, video editing - DivX & VCD and other 'serious' stuff), I simply havn't tried running it under 98 or with a 'clean' (no anti-virus or any other programs running) system yet. Considering that, I think the frame rates I get are fairly respectable.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:33   #8 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

Awesome game
Get LFS TWEAK
drop in a 460big block and smoke the rears!
Old 10-22-2003, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
The MaDDeSTMaN - You might want to check your computer, I have a P4 1.6, 32mb Nvidia Gforce2, 256mb RAM and 98SE, and mine gets around 35-40fps with 3 cars, 800x600 and most graphics turned about the middle.
the bottleneck, and I am sure maddestman knows this, is the video card. I wouldn't expect much more from it.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 17:52   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot_XR6
the bottleneck, and I am sure maddestman knows this, is the video card. I wouldn't expect much more from it.
Yep. I know the GeForce2 MX cards are not exactly the highest performing cards on the market. They are cheap tho, which is why I've got one. I plan on replacing it with something better soonish, but for the moment, I'd prefer to spend my money on my car - as I'm sure most people here could understand.

I could probably get a bit more performance by running under 98 SE, (for example, NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is unplayable on my PC under XP because the frame rate is so low, but it works beautifully under 98 SE), but the bottleneck would still be my GeForce2 MX. Meh, it does the job, it'll do for the moment...

One thing that I think is interesting is that my girlfriends PC is very simular to mine, hers is a AMD XP 2000+, 512Mb DDR, GeForce2 MX, same hard disk (Seagate 40Gb Barracuda 7200.7 - ST340014A), she has a better motherboard (mine is a EPoX 8KHAL+, hers is a Gigabyte GA-7VRX - Sounds like a Magna! ) yet her computer is quite a bit SLOWER then mine. Even with a clean install of Windows (both 98 and XP) with only the necessary drivers installed, and with the overclocking on my PC removed so it's running as standard. Only conclusion we have been able to come to is that her motherboard is sh!t, because a XP2000+ on a KT333 should NOT be outrun by a XP1800+ on a KT266A!

Oh well, back to the game, its pretty cool, for those of you who havn't tried it, as long as you're not using an old Pentium 200, give it a try...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub