Looking back on the E-series/FF merger... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 02:49   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Looking back on the E-series/FF merger...

It has now been the better part of 3 months since the merger of the old EA-ED ezboard ( http://pub21.ezboard.com/filsautomot...cID=2012.topic ) along with Sundeep's forums were merged with FordForums to create the E-Series Network.

It feels like a lot longer than that for me, perhaps because the early days were somewhat dramatic. It would surely have been the biggest merger in the history of the Ford Australia division of FF (to say nothing of the overwhelming implications for my club members), and the decision saw both John and myself come under fire. Fortunately, the early dramas were sorted out without too much trouble.

I am pleased to note that the most vocal critics of the merger have seemingly changed their minds. That is what I am wanting to confirm.

My perspective? I am extremely satisfied with the way the merger has gone - FF has expanded and gained archives of good information, and the E-Series clubs have become a part of the biggest best online community of Australian Ford enthusiasts. There was a time when I feared that a minority within FF were making us E-Series newbys feel unwelcome. I am pleased to report that this concern has been 99% eradicated, to a point where it is simply not on my mind any more.

When the merger first occured, I was thankful to John for having put so much time and effort to help my community. Now I am grateful, in a much deeper sense, to have met so many great people here. The latest Vic cruise ( http://ford.i8.com/aug11/ ) is a good expression of what a great thing the merger has been to my mind.

However, not all bugs have been ironed out. Now I am interested in everyone's 'critical' opinion on the merger. Has it been worthwhile? Is there anything that could be done differently? Have the early concerns on the part of FF regulars and E-Series members been addressed?

OK everyone, let's hear it!! :s5

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I was and still am very grateful to John and the gang for allowing this to happen. It was a big step forward for the then (and sort of still) new EF and EL club. The club now has 25 members and we get around 2 new members each week.

Although the first few weeks of the merger were the worst, with all the controversy surrounding the merger and a hard time accepting what the IRC discussion was really about , I never really looked back.

There have been a few little dramas along the way, throwing the slow settling of E-Series Network and acceptance by FFers of the E-Series Network in to a mess. We all know what they are but they are over with now.

I have my self, also had a few little 'misunderstandings' (the last not so long ago) with the moderators about certain things, but I am trying to accept the way the moderators here take care of things, as it is all to maintain a high standard, even if I do feel it is a bit harsh. It is all for the best I guess.

Anyway, I have met many people and have many friends here and look forward to a happy and healthy relationship between the E-Series Network and FordForums.

Sundeep
Old 08-15-2002, 04:12   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I agree that this has largely been a successful integration of these other Forums into FF.
Certainly there have been issues but these have largely been resolved.

The only real issues I can see now are mostly related to IRC - in many ways a place where anarchy reins and there are very few rules. Undoubtedly this is more a learning curve thing than anything else and will pass with time.

Ohh and there is still the occasional defensive reaction caused by some people still holdng the "them vs us" view which, unfortunately, clouds their better judgement. No doubt this will ease with further time also.

Cheers
Russ
Old 08-15-2002, 05:29   #4 (permalink)
ex ea driver

i seem to think everything has passed, and gone.. all good, dont stress D00d :D
catch ya Jason
Old 08-15-2002, 15:40   #5 (permalink)
-

just a small thing i thought of, given the recent locked thread:

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...1&pagenumber=4

i see this as a harmless discussion - and although it may offend some people, they reserve the right to not read the thread, based on the subject. its all about freedom of speech, thats why we have a forum - so why lock the thread?

interested to see other opinions on this one...

Jase
Old 08-15-2002, 16:16   #6 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

I completely agree with you jbloger, this and a few other issues have bothered me considerably. although there have been some good things about th merger, there have been many less desired complications. I will make another post in more detail when I have time. But to a degree I think the right to have fun and speek freely has been revoked. I know we can still have fun, but only within a strict set of guidelines. The Eseries section should be given a little more slack at least, so we can continue on some of our ways
Old 08-15-2002, 17:42   #7 (permalink)

I think the merger has been great. The only problem is that it used to take me 10-15 minutes to check the old EA Forums now I come on here and I end up reading just about every new post in the whole of FF Australia. I think it's safe to say I have become addicted
Old 08-15-2002, 22:15   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

hehe I have that problem too Kenaz. :)

jbolger and gman, you have raised a good point. In fact, to be honest, it was criticism of the locking of that thread that prompted me to make this discussion. I wanted to make the point that most people would still find the merger a good thing 99% of the time.

The thread was locked simply because it clashed with forum rules. Those rules exist to make FordForums a comfortable and positive place for all, and are the reason why people like Geoff Polities would come here, but not to lesser forums of anarchy.

Rules aside, the fact is that some people might find discussions of that nature offensive. Because our forums have a much larger audience now, it is particularly important to respect that. I am happy to answer any further questions on this matter.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 08-15-2002, 23:11   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I think the merger has been quite a good thing, I was a little skeptical at first as I was afraid of the big fish little fish situation happening, but luckily it didn't. The only thing I miss is our own exclusive EA-ED club meets, which have not happened since we merged, however I know they will be coming up. That's not to say I don't like the FF boys, they're great blokes, it's just that I like independence too.

As for the locking of threads, I cannot disagree more. While I understand that some threads may offend some people, it is their choice as to whether or not they read it. I cannot stand the barring of free speech, everyone has the right to voice their opinion, and everyone else has the right to ignore it. I won't ever support the closing of any threads due to the fact that it may offend someone. But this is my opinion, and you can ignore it, as is your right.

Overall I think this has helped the club greatly, and is helping us to move forward as a more professional and serious entity. I applaud the hard work of Jack and Sunny for getting us to where we are now, and to where we will be in the future.

Cheers guys

Alex
Old 08-16-2002, 01:10   #10 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Threads are locked because this site is moderated. That's forum life. As is so often forgotten by people who complain about moderation, we have people like Geoff Polites (who recently created his own thread about driving a BA) and David Flint who contribute to this forum - who might otherwise be put off if there's no exhibition of control over the content posted.

You have to remember we had a standard of forum etiquette established of FF long before the mergers took place, and if you don't like our standards then the solution is rather simple. In exchange for the server space and the traffic you generate (which comes at John aka LunaticSS's expense) you could at least respect those standards.

This forum isn't a right, it's a priviledge.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub