Looking for a Commodore - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2003, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Tongue Looking for a Commodore

Hahaha before I get slugged with negative user reputation points, let me make it clear that I am NOT after a Commodore for myself!

My gf is after a VB-VL as her "pride & joy".

Car's requirements:

Costs up to $2000
Comes with RWC but rego optional
Six on gas (VL gas optional)
Auto/manual doesn't matter
Preferably sedan
Condition doesn't matter, just needs RWC.

The problem is, I'm having a bit of difficulty finding commos for this price with RWC! I spotted a VL wagon on gas with RWC for $2100, but its a wagon! Obviously VKs & VLs are gonna be much less likely to get for this price, but hopefully I could find a decent VC or VH for her.

Anyone here aware of any issues (non-biased I mean!) regarding Commodores? I'm aware that trimatics are hopeless, but are there specific things to watch out for? For example for an EA one obvious thing to look out for would be the amazing head gasket!

Or, instead of looking for problems, another tack would be: What would be a better model? I'll use another EA example here: For $2000 I have a choice b/w a cfi 3 speed & a mpi 4 speed... So what "model perks" should I look out for for VB-VL commos?

Cheers,

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Pacemaker PH4000 extractors
Meaty semi-twin system
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!

Last edited by Ghia5L; 07-22-2003 at 21:39.
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2003, 21:38   #2 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Re: Looking for a Commodore

I know of someone in Adelaide who has a VC 308, 4 spd top loader, LPG, new rochester carby, 2 1/2 in zorst, in good running order, little rust for $1000. He used it as a tow car for his boat and he now has a 4wd to do that now. He's had the car something like 15 years so the kays are up into the low 300's. I guess its only if your interested to come to Adelaide.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 21:47   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Damn that's a pretty good price!

Unfortunately I'm (she's) after a stocko six. Her idea of a modified car is a CD head unit :s Nothing wrong with that of course! She likes V8s but isn't really after one. Thanks for the post though

Would a 253 on LPG chew thru much more gas than a 202? Obviously it would drink more, but how much more? Just asking coz I noticed a lot of 253s for sale in online trading posts.

-Dave-

How sad is this attachment!

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Meaty semi-twin system
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Last edited by Ghia5L; 08-04-2003 at 01:33.
Old 07-23-2003, 00:20   #4 (permalink)
WHAT ARE U LOOKIN AT RAT!

i previously had a vh 202 on gas, it was a reasonobly shithouse vehicle. Lots and lots of things went wrong with this car, and as im told older model commodores from vb- vk where just plain old shithouse. Unless you can find a decent example that has been looked after. But a vh is a nice buy for around 2-3, but under that price, your just gonna get a shitbox, unless you find one that a granny owned and thats in real good nick. The main thing that was wrong with mine was piston rings, and water. It frequently lost water, and frequently lost oil. so if theres any blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe, stay away, its a fairly common problem for cars that old to have the rings fukt so im told. They are also very easy to break into, so much so that i could open my door with a paddle pop stick, and turn the ignition with a knife. You can open and start the oldies with nearly any commodore key. But a mate does have a fairly good vh 176 manual, and its seems to be goin really strong, got it for 2300. damn i have dribbled a fair load of crap hey....
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 00:46   #5 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

talk her out of it. they're just too old and are targeted by theives. If you DO get a good condition one it'll be nicked within a week. if you put an alarm on it they'll just vandalise it out of frustration. for 20 years we've lived in our house. for 20 years no incidents with our cars (and we've had brand new fairlanes with no alarms). a bloke moved in across the road who had a VL. within a couple of months it had a moss rock through the windscreen (he had a fancy alarm). the people over the road also had a VL when they moved in. my mum found it in the morning out in the middle of the road. they'd pushed it out onto the road trying to get it started. and no, we dont live in a bad area. My best friend has a VL. he hasnt had it stolen yet, but this weekend we're going to put a chain on it to make sure the bonnet cant be opened. Its been a nightmare for him, the 5 speed gearbox died which was $1400 to fix. everything on it is ****ed, the suspension bushes, all the rubbers, all the plastic.. i could go on but i wont.

the VL was a good car for its day. its a car for restoration though, not for everyday use.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:35   #6 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

The thing that happened in all the older commodores that we have owned is the heater core bursting, so obviously check for rust and stuff in teh cooling system. The 253 is a useless motor. Just stick to the 202, there is less go and alot less economy in a 253 than there is in a 250xflow in the Falcons, but thats a different story. Basically, dont go any lower than a 202 (Avoid the crappy Starfire 4cyl Commodores like the plague)
some commodores, I consider reasonable enouggh would probably be a
-VK Berlina, they have velour interiors, some gain the EFI, which is good on those older cars, helps the economy along, major things to go wrong with electrics though, as in tail lights, power windows if you get them. Those sort of things..
-VH SL/X the slightly upmarket model, few nicetys like airconditioning and power steering. Again the economy of the carby 202 will be the downfall on this car

Basically, if she is dead set on an older Commodore, realistically you should find without too much hassle, a decent enough VC/VH, and a ok VK, and a very rough VL. SA is a good place to look for older commodores as everyone is sellin them at the moment lookin for newer cars.. haha

Sorry for hte long post
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:02   #7 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Nah thanks for the posts guys.

She truly is Evil<TM> with her taste for cars!

Hmm so VK Berlina or VH SL/X are like an XE/XF Fairmont? Her commy is gonna have to be on gas for fuel cost's sake, so I don't think a petrol carby on a 202 will be a problem (it'd be replaced with a gas one anyhoo?!? <-- Not sure on this) Yeh so I'm not looking for a shitbox, but as mentioned a stocko commodore which is in mechanically good nick. I wouldn't expect to get a good VL (good VL? There's an oxymoron!) for around the $2k mark, but I thought I'd look for one of them anyhoo just in case...

-Dave-

LOL@the SA remark :)

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Meaty semi-twin system
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 07-23-2003, 03:19   #8 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

ivw seen a vc wagon in dandenong going for $300 around the corner i dont know if it has rwc or not but i saw it has a gas tank in the back so its on gas

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 19:03   #9 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Tongue

ROFL $300!!! I like I like! Ahh that made my day :)

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Meaty semi-twin system
Lows
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

Old 07-27-2003, 21:18   #10 (permalink)

I've seen heaps of RWC VL's around for 2k...thats in Brisbane tho. House mate just sold a nice example for 3k with rego etc. It served her well for 2 years and despite her 'talented female driving skills'(haha!) she never managed to destroy it. But 2 years and absolutely no maintenance did result in a cracked head....problem is getting one unthrashed. and the crime problem barry mention, RACQ's No.1 car targeted by theives in all Aus.
Ravanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub