Looks Like Holden Built An "AU" "Edsel" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 05:39   #1 (permalink)

Tongue Looks Like Holden Built An "AU" "Edsel"

:dog3: If You read the Editorial in Wheels, and scan the Gushing praise for the Turbo, indeed the entire BA range but especialy the Turbo, it's a good bet the media perception has changed for the Blue Oval.

I have never, ever in 30 years of reading wheels, seen them saying an Aussie engine (Barra 240T) was "Brilliant" or sounded like an "M series BMW growling". Let alone say more than 3 sentinces in one article containg praise form Ford without saying something else on the car equally sucked thereby ruling out the good stuff.

These guys loved it. You know what that means - C O T Y !!

But Holden - wow played it too safe - 2 years for the new engines. A mild facelift Woopee.

I guess history does repeat itself, when you get too cocky, seems like now it's Holdens turn, Ford paid the price, this time Holden got sucked in to the mistake that "we don't need to change it much, it's already great. Yeah great compared to an AU Forte Not compared to a Barra.

Can't wait for the comparos, and 1st 3 months V Facts.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2002, 07:43   #2 (permalink)
svoghia

uhuh holden didnt think ford would come out with all guns firing.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:29   #3 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

Quote:
Originally posted by svoghia
uhuh holden didnt think ford would come out with all guns firing.
Yeh they did, but they were expecting AU sized Guns. Not BA sized weapons :D
shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 14:19   #4 (permalink)
Drunk Irishman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 16:29   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Holden new what was comming they are just to confident that they will still sell cars.
I don't think the release of the Barra is going to kill the Holden in the way the Au went down. It will just put us back to Ef/EL days.
I hope that Holden do fall on there arses for a few years but I don't think they will.
Old 09-25-2002, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
Darkside Intruder!

Holden are not that stupid, they new ford would hit back, maybe not with the quality of cars they did, but holden wont be hurt too much, remember holden is in a very good financial position with all their exports, all it means is its fords turn to have the better cars for a while, wheather or not that equates to better sales (than holden) time will tell.
VXLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 17:13   #7 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

From what I have seen so far, the VY aint no AU in terms of styling. And from what I have read (eg. todays Age article), there isnt a lot in it.

The VY is enough of a change in all departments from the VX to make it very competitive to the BA according to the Age journo's.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 18:59   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by minteafalcon
From what I have seen so far, the VY aint no AU in terms of styling. And from what I have read (eg. todays Age article), there isnt a lot in it.

The VY is enough of a change in all departments from the VX to make it very competitive to the BA according to the Age journo's.
I agree. Mr and Mrs Jo Average are still only going to see a mid life rebuild in both cars IMO. Yes, AU to BA is a far bigger change than VX to VY, but a lot of punters don't know or care. The BA will put a big dent in Holdens sales i think, but by no means will it be able to turn the balance sheets 180. I just hope it is the start of a long and consistent push by ford, not a flash in the pan.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 23:00   #9 (permalink)

How dare you lump the VY in the same catagory as AU and the Edsel. Both the AU and the very beautiful '58 Edsel were cars ahead of their time, missunderstood and were destined for failure even before they went on sale. Shame!!!

BTW I love AU!
Detroit Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:35   #10 (permalink)

I don't get the point of this thread... You say Ford has a good car in the BA. I'm sure we all agree... But how does that lead you to conclude that VY (a 'mild facelift' in your words) is an AU or Edsel...
Were AU and Edsel mild facelifts?
falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub