The Loser Politicians are at it AGAIN! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2001, 16:25   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

mad The Loser Politicians are at it AGAIN!

FROM WWW.DRIVE.COM.AU
I'm getting sick of these morons and their policies on road safety. Honestly these people are dickheads, schmucks, losers, idiots, and are blinded by the money (I am using all my strength not to use the language they deserve). Do they honestly think it is going to work? When are we motorists going to jack up and get some real road safety policies in place (like teaching some of those losers out there how to drive a car).

Law-breaking Victorian motorists will be hit with a 20 percent increase in fines under a $12 million government crackdown on speeding and drink-driving.

The fines rise is part of a road-safety package that will put 10 upgraded booze buses on the road, equip police with 60 laser-operated speed guns and install more fixed speed cameras.

Speeders will be fined up to $430 from July 1.

Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said the fine increases were the first since 1991, and demonstrated that the government was serious about reducing the road toll.

"The State Government is seriously concerned about how some motorists, a minority, are ignoring the road-safety laws," he said. "More than 400 people were killed on our roads last year and we want to save lives. We want people to slow down, to stay alive and to act responsibly. For those people who are reckless on our roads and don't do the right thing, they are going to be caught and it is going to cost them dearly."

Victorian Police Minister Andre Haermeyer said $3.7 million would be spent installing speed cameras along Geelong Road, the Western Ring Road and the CityLink tunnels. The package will also include a $2 million trial of new point-to-point speed cameras on the Hume Freeway.

Mr Haermeyer said the package, to be included in today's budget, represented a major attack on the road toll.

Opposition transport spokesman Geoff Leigh said installing more speed cameras without revealing their locations was a revenue-raising measure.

"What they should do with that revenue is put more police vehicles on the roads," he said. "The best thing for road safety is more visible police."

:fmad: :fmad: :mad: :mad3: :fmad: :mad3: :thumbdown

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2001, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

I dont see a problem. your getting a hernia over nothing. granted there are idiot's out there that speed, there are idiot's that drink and drive, there are idiot's that are reckless. so what..who gives a ****, let them get caught, let them get fined, let them have there car impounded, let them go to jail......why.....so people like you and me can drive down the road in our new GT's and wave to the loser's when we see them walking to mcdonald's for a burger on friday night. you can only train idiot's for so long. let the government remove them from the road, the sooner the better.

personally I think the fines are too soft.
you get caught for DUI you should loose your car and your license for life. anyone who thinks different should look at themselves. because I would look at you as someone who does'nt give a **** about life or children. you kill one of my kid's and I can gaurantee you one thing, you will wish you were dead, when I get hold of you. no court will convict me, no evidence no case..
you act like a skaife you should have your car imponded for 6 months.
you speed you should have your car impounded.
A drivers license is a privalege not a right.

CARS DONT KILL, PEOPLE KILL.
Old 05-15-2001, 17:48   #3 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

mad Money hungry Pollies

What I want to know is what they are going to use the increased fine revenue for.

Is it just going into the general fund for pollies lunches or will it go towards road safety.

If they really want to make a serious effort on the road toll why don't they take every cent from the fines and put every new driver thru a Defensive driving course / Car control course so they know what to do in an emergency - reading the bit in the Road Code saying "steer into a skid" does fark all to help them the first time they hit some oil/water/ice.

Speed doesn't kill - speed just lines government coffers.

[/soapbox]
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 17:58   #4 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

Why not take the money and put it into building safer roads. I agree with you on defensive driving, it should be part of your license. There should be a restriction on the size of the car you drive, the same as GT1 and GT2.
Brendan, this may sound stupid but my driving skills have improved 100% since playing the game. Not that they were bad, but I've just improved.
Old 05-15-2001, 18:41   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
....you speed you should have your car impounded.
A drivers license is a privalege not a right.

CARS DONT KILL, PEOPLE KILL.
Inflicting punishment on the owner of the car is not the same as inflicting punishment on the driver. In today's ownership environment this is a major issue. Impounding cars is not the answer. Then we could talk about the issue of whether 'speeding' is harmful or in my oppinion inappropriate speed should be the issue. DOC, if you think that someone should have their car impounded for going over 100 on the Stuart Highway, Hay Plain or similar, you are not being realistic. Most crashes in this type of environment occur due to fatigue and boredom. I know - I used to do 5-6000km per week.

As for 'Cars don't kill, people kill'; yes, absolutely correct. By reasoning from this speed does not kill, people do. Speed is not a CAUSAL factor in most road crashes. It may however add to severity. We need to attack the CAUSE before we address the RESULT.

Bottom line, there are some people driving cars who are flat out mentally at the speed limit as it stands today. We need to raise the bottom line skill level of these drivers rather than hit drivers over the head with speeding fines. Speeding is targeted because it has a positive cost-benefit ratio in the context of government budgets.

Finally, taking people's licences off them is not an answer. It causes further issues such as unlicenced drivers (already a problem). I know. You have an accident with one and you are screwed. We don't need more of them.

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 05-15-2001, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

I never said have your car impounded for going over 100 on the stuart highway or the hay plain or whatever.
I am being realistic if you read properly. my reply related to drunk driver's etc driving in surbubia not the country. my reply related to the death of children caused by drunk driver's.
I dont know who your insured with, but I have had 2 crashes with unlicensed and uninsured drivers and have never had a problem. both caused by them not me.

further: read my reply to brendan.
Old 05-15-2001, 19:47   #7 (permalink)

I agree that Drunk Drivers should be banned from driving for a looong time, they should also get rid of all the unroadworthy cars. Its amazing how many have bald tyres, cracked windscreens, more rust than the Titanic, no brakes etc

The only way speed cameras will save lives is because most people will have less money to spend on holidays so the'll have to stay home:rolleyes:. How does a person doing 67kmh in a 60 zone in a good condition car on a high visability road more likey to crash than any of those ****boxes doing 50 or less.

I agree that if you are caught doing 100 in a 60 zone then you should be fined something shocking. But 140 on the Hume is no less safe than 110 in a good car.

And I guarantee you that 90% of the speed camera revenue wont be going into he roads :mad::mad: All of its got to pay for the olympics, fu#$ing dole bludgers, safe injecting rooms and sh!t like that :mad::mad::mad:
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 19:53   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by THE DOCTOR
I dont know who your insured with, but I have had 2 crashes with unlicensed and uninsured drivers and have never had a problem. both caused by them not me.
Maybe, but if they are unlicenced and/or the car unregistered you have no CTP coverage. Cars are replaceable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
Its amazing how many have bald tyres, cracked windscreens, more rust than the Titanic, no brakes etc
Too hard to enforce. Much easier to put a camera on the side of the road and concentrate on speeding. More money too.

Old 05-15-2001, 20:00   #9 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

You make me laugh. my CTP was not affected, both the unlicenced and uninsured drivers payed for my car. because my insurance company obtained there details from the police and took them to court, and won.
Old 05-15-2001, 20:59   #10 (permalink)
GTHO4

I for one think that higher speeding fines will not stop accidents from happening and it should be for those who drive high speeds in residential areas ie: 120k's in a 60 zone etc.
Out on open roads is not so bad...less danger except driver fatigue.
The government should concentrate more on road conditions and driver training which is the only way to tackle the problem.
As for drink drivers there should be no excuse for anyone to get behind the wheel after drinking and these people if caught should be banned for life. If caught driving without a license because of a DUI offence then they should spend some time in prison.

Laminge I hope your not serious about doing 180 in a 60 zone no experience in the world is going to stop some old granny pulling out of a side street right in front of you and you have no where to go but in front of a incoming car or through someone's house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub