LS1 Rebuilds - On the cheap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2002, 06:13   #1 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

LS1 Rebuilds - On the cheap

Yesterday while talking to a mechanic from a holden dealership, I found out some interesting facts about the rebuilds fo the LS1 engine...

As we all know, there have been a fair few cases of oil usage problems with these engines which ended up in them being shipped to a company in dandenong where they were rebuilt and sent back to the dealership to be put back in the car it came from.

Well, it seems that there is a new way to do all this.

Enter the low cost option.....
(for oils usage problems and the piston slapping which comes with it)

Step 1:
Pull the engine apart and remove pistons.

Step 2:
Dont measure anything, dont check tolerances, basically dont do anything.

Step 3:
Put it all back together with old pistons that have a strip of teflon on the skirts

Step 4:
Give "repaired" car back to the customer

The real trick about all this is that the engine is NOT to come out of the engine bay, cause this adds more time which obviously equals more money spent.

I guess the old saying hasnt died "what they dont know wont hurt them"
If you cant hear anything out of the ordinary from your engine, it must be working ok.

I dont understand how such a large company can be so tightarsed about this mess. I know they made a mistake and it is not entirely their fault, but for farks sake at least own up and serve your loyal, now un-kowing, customers.

This is disgraceful IMO.....Things like this really need to be known by everyone, not only enthusiasts...and the only way enthusiasts get to know is by talking to friends.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2002, 06:20   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I quite like the SS commodes and as nicole likes commodes it was on the cards that we may have got one and I would have been quite happy.. until I saw the way that holden are treating their customers... The LS1 issue is a big 'un.. but really the shenannigans that Holden have got up to trying to hide the issue is what the disgrace is.
On one of the LS1 forums someone has had piston slap with no oil consumption .. and was promptly put on an oil consumption test(??) Quite a few K's later his dipstick was still showing OVERFULL as they had overfilled it so that a few K's down the track it would be at the Full level. Thats after being told that there was no oil consumption..in a word BUSTED.
There are quite a few stories about shoddy treatment of customers that have spent $40-50 or more (for HSV's) on their cars.. A lot of these people have hocked themselves into debt to the eyeballs to get their dream car only to be given the run around when a problem arises.
Holden, through their games ensured that I ummed and ahhed about a SS long enough to get a sniff of the Barra .. now they have lost a potential sale for sure.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 12:05   #3 (permalink)

I think all this oil consumption issue with the LS1s is blown way out of proportion, I could be wrong, but im pretty sure I read somewhere that BMW regards 1L/5000kms oil usage in their M3 and M5s as normal....?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 14:35   #4 (permalink)
The Third Power

how do you remove pistons without taking it out of the engine bay ?
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 14:42   #5 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

I'd hate to think that this is true and if it is I'd feel sorry for the poor bugger that had it done to his or her car.
Old 07-28-2002, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
I think all this oil consumption issue with the LS1s is blown way out of proportion, I could be wrong, but im pretty sure I read somewhere that BMW regards 1L/5000kms oil usage in their M3 and M5s as normal....?
1 Litre for 5000km's in my books is abit of a worry especially for a new car. Not sure about BMW's but i've heard other european makes do take oil and are considered normal. Though i don't know what amount.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 18:17   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Most performance engines have loose clearances and tolerances to ensure free revving without a 30,000km run in ... but all cars have their problems ... its how the manufacturer attacks the remedy that counts.
strife..either drop the crossmember off or jack the motor up just enough to take the sump off ... easy from there.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 20:14   #8 (permalink)

That must be a change from march 2002 when I had the motor rebuilt in my VX2 SS prior to trading it on the CV8.. The motor was out. The block was sent to a local place for measurements and then reassembled at the dealer...
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

My HSV GTS-R with the good old iron engine blew so much smoke when you started it cold (12000km on the dial) it would take a while before the car could be reversed out of the garage. Same deal as above: they overfilled the engine and put it on oil test. Of course it still showed full at the end. No problems.

I sold the piece of crap for a huge loss. Best thing I ever did IMO. You had to fight for everything with Holden. With Ford, if you have an obvious fault they address the problem no questions. What a nice change!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 22:03   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
My HSV GTS-R with the good old iron engine blew so much smoke when you started it cold (12000km on the dial) it would take a while before the car could be reversed out of the garage. Same deal as above: they overfilled the engine and put it on oil test. Of course it still showed full at the end. No problems.

And yours had the balanced/blueprinted option didnt it?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub