ls1 thread - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2002, 01:11   #1 (permalink)

ls1 thread

I know this is an old subject that has already been flogged but after reading a 11 page thread on their engine drama's. i can't believe they havn't gone to the media.

Ok it will not do their resale value much good but i think gmh need to be kicked in the arse for the way they are treating their customers

Holden drivers they may be Nobody should cope the crap that they are getting fed from GMH.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2002, 01:32   #2 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Here, Here. By most, if not all, accounts, the LS1 is a damn good engine. It's just a shame that GM saw fit to send the second rate ones to us. Maybe GM will learn the hard way...
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:13   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I wander if there was some corrosion in the bores or something on the way to Oz? The little HONEST Windsor has not had that trouble and came from the same {allmost} place.

Now if it was Ford! It would take the G.G off the front page.People think G.M is Aussie so they leave em alone..
As in meat,porky pies,kangaroos,just Holden together cars..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 14:52   #4 (permalink)

LS1 oil probs

Is it only Aussie version of the LS1 that is having this oil consumption problem? Are all the variants ie 225, 255 and 300kw having the prob?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 16:32   #5 (permalink)
"Bloody Beautiful"

Mate has a R8 and he has had complete engine rebuild. He has said that the dealer where he purchased is doing between 5 - 10 a week. From what he said the problem is coming from the shoddy re-engineering done in Oz to move the oil filter to a different position as it will not fit in the car in standard set up.
------------------------------------------------
TE50 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 17:17   #6 (permalink)
Aus ls1 *********

Smile

Its not only the Aus car suffering from the oiling problems.

US cars now have a fix with a better oil control ring that dosent allow as much blow by past the rings. It was called ring flutter, caused apparently by high revs low load conditions.

Holden use this new ring also when rebuilding the LS1's with oil usage probs. VX 11 Not old enough yet to determine if same oil use issues are evident.

Aus LS1 suffered from an oil starvsation problem in the VT with the oil pick up at the front of the sump. No good with hard acceleration as the oil is at the rear. Also had concerns with VT oil pumps. Both issues fixed with VX on models. (maybe)
HRT 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Hey guys. I know we're Ford people, but look at the Dyno results these engines are getting. Try having a Windsor pull 170+ at the wheels (Gen3 225s are doing this stock) and see how reliability goes. Let alone putting on an exhaust and air filter to pull over 200 (shiver).

In my oppinion whilst this is warranty it shouldn't be a major issue. I just realised this weekend that I spent well over 10 grand to get the same dyno figures as guys with 225 SS Commos are getting with simple bolt ons like exhausts!!!!! Only advantage for the Fords is chassis can take the power much better and I doubt any sort of money would bring Commos to Falcon level in that department.

There are more than a few Windsors suffering terminal illnesses too..... Just that it seems not so many.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 19:54   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Hey guys. I know we're Ford people, but look at the Dyno results these engines are getting. Try having a Windsor pull 170+ at the wheels (Gen3 225s are doing this stock) and see how reliability goes. Let alone putting on an exhaust and air filter to pull over 200 (shiver).

In my oppinion whilst this is warranty it shouldn't be a major issue. I just realised this weekend that I spent well over 10 grand to get the same dyno figures as guys with 225 SS Commos are getting with simple bolt ons like exhausts!!!!! Only advantage for the Fords is chassis can take the power much better and I doubt any sort of money would bring Commos to Falcon level in that department.

There are more than a few Windsors suffering terminal illnesses too..... Just that it seems not so many.
WRONG!You got alot of torque.I havn't seen your dyno figures but I read your HSV kill thread.You just can't do that unless you have over 500NM at flywheels.I never look at KW ,always torque is what matters to me.
About ls1s,what was the last thing they decided?after reading that thread I started to think I would never recommend it to anyone as it might cost about $9000 to get rebuilt.I hope they fix that problem fast.I'm sure some people from Holden and Media are looking at these threads right now.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 23:03   #9 (permalink)

you wont hear a wisper from the media bout the engines cause its holden and holden is the best! bloody hate them.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:51   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

This is an issue that no matter how hard I try I can't understand the thinking of some Holden guys.

Why would anyone knowing that this engine is suspect be willing to part with $50k plus for a car that has an engine they can't really expect to use to its full potential. Even with normal driving it may develop these symptoms that in this day and age is just not on. With this kind of history I doubt any of these engines will still be going in years to come unlike the trusty Windsor, Cleveland, Holden 308 and Chev 350 etc.

A guy at work brought one 4 weeks ago and he's shit scared to hammer it and panics every morning when he starts it in case it starts rattling. He forked out $55,000 for something he can't really use with confidence and is scared to use. He has no idea if he will even get to 100,000klm and will Holden fix it if it starts causing problems after having done a few K's. This is what gets me. He knew of these possible problems yet he still parted with $55k !!! for something he is now too scared to drive. The mind boggles.

I understand brand loyalty and I'm not suggesting swapping camps but it just doesn't make any sense. I do feel for some of these guys. But its hard to have the same feeling when guys still buy them after reading this sort of stuff and then complain, hey my Ls1 is toast.

Reading some of the posts its obvious some guys are being treated wrong and Holden should fess up and do a major recall of all these engines and fix them all properly.

Its is also more damming that none of the motoring press or magazines haven't got the guts to take up this issue on behalf of their READERS who keep them in a job!!!!.

I have to laugh when I read their usual stuff. " The Monaro is great, yarda yarda yarda, but they forget to include "hey the engine is suspect so be prepared to have it off the road for awhile and you may have to have another engine installed".

I hope the Ls1 guys get some justice soon and all the existing suspect engines are fixed NOW so they can use their cars how they intended.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub