Magazines and you? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 07:52   #1 (permalink)
Dreamer

Magazines and you?

Well im a bit of a collector, seeing though working late is so boring and theres nothing else to do, i read a magazine or 3 per week. So what does everyone else read around here?

I started out being a ricer in my TAFE days and collected and even subscibred to HOT4s, but thats a good 3yrs ago now, so leave me alone :s6: I then grew up a bit and go into the Street Machine era and i still think thats one of the best mags out there to have a gander at, i grab it each month without looking at it, hand over the dosh and go back to work.

But lately magazines have gone up the shitter, they all seem to follow the same trends, they talk crap about cars, and the articles are boring. Has anyone else noticed this? Theres only so much you can handle of X car has Y pieces that have no bearing on me and im not going to go out and buy em.

I think the best read at the moment would have to be Australian Muscle Cars (latest issue out now) its informative, they go into depth of what the race cars used to have, how they were engineered, homologations ya da ya, very interesting indeed.

Ford Performace bores me now theres nothing new to it, nothing excites me, but because im bored at work i buy it to keep me busy. Ditto for some other new magazines, extreme, zooms a bit that way etc etc.

I dont buy Motor or Wheels as im not in the market for a brand spanker, and even if i were they wouldnt sway me either way. My old man buys these mags so i occasionaly read them, find wheels boring, it looks plain jane and the info is trash. Motor has funny sections in the back that i like to read, but the rest again i get bored by quickly.

Ive gone heavily into 4x4'ing lately, soon to buy a Hilux and turn it into a monster truck (well not quite) and if you want a good informative, no non-sense read, grab 4WD Monthly, just one time, and have a gander at what i call quality. There blokes are just like you and me (no ego, no need to talk trash or show off) doing what we love best. They write the storys as if your sitting with them having a yarn, sitting round the bushfire having a quiet beer. I love it...

So what do you read and why?
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2003, 18:06   #2 (permalink)

I don't read magazines that much anymore but I read heavy metal magazines occationally and flick through my brother's car mags that he gets like Unique Cars for example.

and why? because I love heavy metal and cars.
ThatsANiceFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
Road Warrior

Australian Muscle Car - Best Read Out There at the Moment.

Street Machine - Been collecting since about 1986 so I have a heaps just lying around. The missus made me put them in the shed though.

Speed - Only buy it if the cover appeals to me.
A little bit into the 4cyl scene and comments like 'With these mods the car should put out about 350rwkw"
I like to see real figures & what they have done.
Not just a chrome oil cap & a rear wing & stupid figures pulled out of thin air.

Playboy - Great Articles & Good to wank with (Right Kooky)
600 Horsepower Through The Wheels.........
Christ!
She's Meanness Put To Music
and This Bitch Is Born To Run........

note:
Avatar pic taken at on a Public Road, not at Calder Park raceway.

Thanks Goran as I have pinched your Signature
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 21:21   #4 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

The BEST magazine going at the moment would have to be Australian Muscle Car. Lots of good articles and news.

I used to always buy Street Machine, but it has lately become Rice Machine (tm).

I occasionally buy Wheels and Motor if they test anything that is of interest to me.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 22:30   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

I'm an avid magazine reader as I spend at lot of time away at sea. I definitely agree with Australian Muscle Car as the best mag out there. I subscribe to Motor and often buy wheels though lately I'm starting to get bored with them. I also like Performance Ford and I collect every issue.

Every now and then I'll pick up Street Machine but only if there is an article that interests me.

I'm also into vintage aircraft so Classic Wings DownUnder is a great read if you like that sort of thing.

I hate Unique Cars as I always find what I'd like but can't afford!
Old 09-12-2003, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: Magazines and you?

Im a magazine addict! My wife is always in my ear about it saying how much money i "waste" on them. Its a hobby! My mags next to my bed now are street machine (fords only), ford performance (seems to be getting worse), just world cars and zoom (only for the xr6 turbo articles).
Sometimes i buy cruzin', wheels, motor, australian muscle car or australian street rodder.
fordmuscle_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:16   #7 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

i recon i have the biggest colection of land rover mags manuals and advertiseing and mini mags in oz i got milk crates full of them
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:25   #8 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

HOT4s - I like it.

Ralph - I like it too.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 15:30   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Hmm well I sometimes get Motor and very rarely Wheels, I get performance ford so my g/f can make a colarge out of the pics for me to hang in the shed.
I normally buy computer magazines but once I get my pda that will be a thing of the past.
Old 09-14-2003, 15:45   #10 (permalink)

Magazines that I used to buy: Street Machine, Wheels, Motor, Hot4s, Fast Fours, Land Rover owner, Land Rover Monthly, Unique Cars, 4x4 Australia, VW Driver, Audi Driver, Performance Fords, Australian Muscle Car, DuPont registry, Truckin', Cars and Car Conversions, Triumph World. I know there's more but I can't remember.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub