Maintenance manuals - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2002, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
I need NOS

Maintenance manuals

Ive been after a workshop manual for my EA ghia, just did a bit of ringing around then. The ford dealer quoted $188 for the genuine ford manual, which is like 3" thick, and pretty comprehensive.

Theres also the gregorys manuals, only like 1/2" thick, not as comprehensive, but alot cheaper at like $55.... Whos got these manuals, and what one do you reckon is better value for money?

+ Got quoted $87.50 for injector clean (I6), this a pretty good price?

Thanks all.
Phr3ak
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2002, 03:43   #2 (permalink)

hmm look around at the 2nd hand bookshops. I picked up a genuine Ford XF book and the Big Red EA Book for both 20 bucks each. Dog eared and some oil marks, who cares? The book has character !
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 03:55   #3 (permalink)
I need NOS

beautiful, would def be the way to go, the guy at the dearlership was being a tool , saying that the manual would probably be too comprehensive for me- just because im younger (17).

Should just pull up in the car and tell him all the work that Ive done, then he'd probably try to sell me an EB gli for the EA ghia... Agh, me dont like dealerships.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:14   #4 (permalink)

I just bought a workshop book from ellery publications off EBAY it cost me 40 bucks brand new and it craps all over my gregorys manual, it covers EA-ED and V8 and 6, its 500 pages thick compared to 295 for gregorys.
Recomended retail price is $49.95, check out
www.ellery.com.au

I definatly recomend it

cheers cogo
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 20:14   #5 (permalink)

The genuine manual is very good but you do pay a premium price for it. The Ellery ones aren't as comprehensive but do represent good value for the money. Gregorys are crap basically, only good for really basic stuff. Check out second-hand book shops and swap meets for bargains.

The injector clean sound suspiciously cheap, ask them what they actually do for this price. They should be taking them off your car and giving them an ultrasonic bath, not just pouring a can of crap through your engine like a lot of places do. I got quoted about $130 (trade price) to have my car done a few weeks ago.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 01:58   #6 (permalink)
I need NOS

cogo, you are god. thanks for the manual tips.

Falchoon, I was expecting a larger price than this before- All I really think they are doing is disconnecting the fuel system & flushing the injectors through. Its a dealer job, what u reckon would be better, the overpriced as sh*t dealers, or a good aftermarket mob?

Many thanks for all your tips all.

Phr3ak
Old 08-27-2002, 15:31   #7 (permalink)

This might not apply to *all dealers* but my neighbour used to be a service advisor at a Ford dealer and they were on commission from the company that sold the "fuel injection cleaner in a bottle", so they basically encouraged everyone with an EFI car to get a "service". Money would be better spent elsewhere on a proper injector clean as per my previous post IMO.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 00:42   #8 (permalink)
I need NOS

that ultrasonic bath is soundin pretty good right now. I'll go aftermarket for it (injector clean) And Im grabbing an Ellery manual. Thanks all

Phr3ak
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub