Mate it's gotta be a V8??? Maybe Not.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Mate it's gotta be a V8??? Maybe Not....

Ok Gang,

Yes i'm sitting here at the strider skunk works, and a thought came up that i'd like to share and discuss, and please as hard as it is for us to keep on the right track here lol, i'd like a contructive reply, as i think it will be a good discussion.

For the guys and gals who don't currently own a V8, what are your real thoughts on a bent 8 Falcon. Do you think it's a must have before you leave this world (be all end all) or you don't see what all the fuss is about.

With the XR6-T being so popular and rapidly becoming the cult car of the Aussie muscle sedan, i often wonder if it will make the V8 battle defunct. I can only speak of experience after driving 6 pack Falcons and comparing it with a 4 cylinder. Sure a Japanese turbo 4 (Nissan Silvia, FJ20 powered Skylines etc) are alot quicker but the feeling and balance of the Inline 6 feels much much better to drive despite the lack of pace compared. It seems no 4 cylinder will ever be as smooth as an I6, yes thats including a boxer 4 as well. So the otherside of the token is will a V8 have that feel good feeling over a forced 6 taking 1/4 mile drag times aside.

Lastly for the guys that own a V8, would you go to a 6 cylinder (forced or atmo) or are you hooked and will not touch a car without 8 pots under the bonnet.

Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 03:23   #2 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Re: Mate it's gotta be a V8??? Maybe Not....

Quarter mile times are one thing, The sweet sound of a V8 cannot be beaten. I drive a 6, but want an 8!
Old 07-11-2004, 03:34   #3 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

V8?

Why would you bother?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:44   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I'd love to have a 6T but I just couldn't bring myself to get one over the V8, I'm a V8 man through and through, just love the sound of them.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:50   #5 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I don't really care whether it has 6 or 8 cylinders, but I do care as to how efficent the engine is, and how it performs in the given car.
The sound of an engine has little effect on me, it's performance is far more important, in any case, 6 packs sound pretty decent.

The current model Fords are all good, and if I had to choose between them, I personally would choose the XR6T, simply because of it's aftermarket potential, and better handling.
The Boss is a bloody good engine though.

To sum it up, I'll take whatevers feels better to me, at the time of purchase, within my budget.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:00   #6 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I'm a V8 man through and through,
Isn't that really all it comes down to?

I've grown up with 6s and love them. For me, I could never see the sense in owning a V8 when force inducted 4s and 6s are just as quick.

The M3 is to me the ultimate 6.

I also love the sound of an 8 just as the sound of a 6 with an open exhaust sounds great to.

It's all what you grew up with. Unfortunately threads like this one often turns into a my d!cks bigger than yours.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:08   #7 (permalink)

V8 for me... Got the AUII TQE HP, and its a great car, but want to get a V8, for the sound and the torque, and im ont much of a fan of turbos really, give me N/A V8 over a 6T anyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
The M3 is to me the ultimate 6.
Certainly is they sound unreal too.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:32   #8 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

i prefer the longevity of the V8 engine, windsors and clevo's are still going 20-30 years (if not more) after being rolled off the showroom floor, i also realise that there are quite a few 4's and 6's doing the same. but when you compare forced induction and Naturally aspirated motors it will always be biased, if you want to go really fast who would choose an XR8 over an XR6T the sky is the limit so far with the 6, the new motors are great, i just hope that they can last the test of time.
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:55   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Well, I had 2 I6 cars, then a V8, back to an I6. I love them both but I will say that I will be getting a V8 again next. There is something about them that is almost magical. XR6T is a great car but, regardless of speed, the feeling of a V8 is something that can only come from a V8. I love my I6, they are a great motor with a ton of potential but, in the end, the V8 is still something to stir the soul. I truely can say that I could not go through life without owning another V8.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:30   #10 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Don't let AP see this thread Gary!

If I had a choice I'd have both the forced 6 and the 8 in my driveway. Each has inherent qualities that the other doesn't have.

However, as I have yet to experience owning a bent 8, I would go the eight for simply that reason.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub