Me and my BIG mouth - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2001, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
GTHO4

mad Me and my BIG mouth

After posting a reply in the have your say thread complimenting Ford for the reliability of my ED XR8 the auto trans started playing up tonight..... me thinks I jinxed myself
It has lost 2nd and 4th gear....I hope it's nothing major maybe it's only a faulty modulator or something.
Anyone else had this problem or knows what it might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2001, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Our EA did that. Lost 4th first, then 2nd gear, then reverse. Then nothing. Rebuild city - although Ford paid. Very good of them since the car was out of warranty. I think they knew it was a problem at the time.

Try an oil change for a start in case one of the hydraulic circuits is blocked up. Then if that doesn't work get a Ford tech to do their Fault Isolation checklist. Aftermarket guys often spec a rebuild when it may be a bolt on part.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 07:59   #3 (permalink)

Put a 5 speed in it!!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 18:32   #4 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

*JUST A SMALL HINT* Before you go off half cocked and start getting Ford to rip things to pieces. Check the transmission relay in the fuse panel. Trust me, I know from first hand experience.
Old 05-19-2001, 07:16   #5 (permalink)
GTHO4

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
Put a 5 speed in it!!
Great idea! only one problem.....the missus can't drive a manual :fmad:

O.k. the car is off to the mechanics on Tuesday.
I had him take it for a drive the other day and there is quite a bit of slippage in the trans.
The car revs to 4000rpm in 1st then changes to 3rd and when you push the pedal down while in 4th and drops back in 3rd the car almost redlines before it goes back to 4th.
Me thinks the auto is terminally ill.
:(
Old 05-21-2001, 22:07   #6 (permalink)
GTHO4

Well it was bad news the auto has worn bands and will cost $1700 to repair or $2800 for a complete rebuild.
Hmmm...tough choice any suggestions?
The mood I'm in I feel like ripping that gearbox out and replacing it with a C4 trans....... for $2800 a C4 would be indestructable.

Anyway it may be a silly thought but the car has only done 115,000 km and I'm a little pissed off.
Geez! it should have lasted a bit longer than that.:fmad:
Old 05-21-2001, 22:26   #7 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

eek

You'd think it would've.. :confused:

If you're going to keep the car for a while go for the C4. A good reliable box will save you big $$$ in the long run.. :) :thumbup:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 22:27   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

gtho4,

geez thats not real good in the sense of the trans packing it in at 115,000km. I remember the first of the 4 speeds in the EA2 crapped it's self at 70,000km but the solved it since. Geez hope the tranny in my dads EL doesn't pack it that early i should think it would last till 250,000km.

About repair and rebuild depends i guess if the other parts are stuffed or not. I doubt the solenoids or torque converter is stuffed. If there ok i say just go for repairs. Did you get the fluid and filter changed for the tranny in it's earlier life???

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 23:00   #9 (permalink)
GTHO4

Fordman if only I could even though I thought about it I would be stupid to do it and if I had to sell it later on I don't think the next owner wants a ED XR8 with a 3 speed auto from earlier model Ford.
I can't believe how expensive modern cars can be to repair but what makes it worse these parts don't last very long and the car was never abused.
Makes me think twice about buying a new car in the future no matter what make.

EF GUY....I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday about my car and he told me that a guy he knows traded in his EF Falcon which done about 140,000 k's was asked by the dealer if his auto trans is o.k. and when this guy replied yes they were suprised because it happens to be a common problem these transmissions crap themselves around 115,000k's.....BUGGER ME!!!

:fmad:
Old 05-21-2001, 23:08   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Geez thats abit of a shock basically we gambled with the EL in the auto. If it's only 115,000km then a re-build eeeek. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
EL is nearly 90,000km.

Hmm taxi's must re-con the gearboxs like theres no tomorrow.

Well me is lucky cause as a uni student me can't afford $2800 for recon trans. Lucky me got manual.
Also gives me the edge when racing those bombadores. :D :D :D :D

What path are u going to take, u goin for re-build or repair????

Also lemme know how the car goes after as well.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub