Me Vs Pulsar sss - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2003, 17:36   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Me Vs Pulsar sss

ok guys unsure what pulsar i know it was a SSS and it looked brand new or a year or so old. Wasnt riced up nice wheels and a bit bigger exhaust i think maybee extractors too. Anyways this bloke had been following me home on the geelong road flying past me slowing down sort of thing so i thought ill give him a run later when we get into geelong. Well took us a while to line up next tro each other i though ok ill give him a go. It was on lpg, full tank and half tank of petrol. Economy off and lights changed. I give it to it wont elcones any speeds but this little prick kept up with me well over the centre of my dial. Whats getting to me is that he looked as if he was going to have me in the higher speed area but i slowed off as it was a little fast. Now to my conclusion i recon if i had 10 litres petrol and no gas in the tank and manually shifting gears i would have come out alot better i didnt lose but im saying these little pricks have some go any1 know times on these pulsars would it have been a turbo for him to gain in the higher rpm rang i thought the falcon sixes torque was great especially over certian speeds.

Steve B
AUPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2003, 19:16   #2 (permalink)

Never underestimate the SR20 powered SSS Pulsar. It would have been an N15 if it was newish looking. A stock SSS should be able to take a Forte even without the turbo. They are capable of 15 second quater miles, so you did well not to lose.

Ash
Old 05-15-2003, 19:21   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blood

The other beasty Pulsar to look out for (but is easily identifable) is the GTi-R. AWD Turbo in a pulsar. It has a very agressive bonnet with venting and all sorts of wierd stuff.

Can go like a cut cat i'm led to believe, but I doubt what you came across was one of those.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
Old 05-15-2003, 20:25   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

LPG saps quite abit of power on cars, even teh Tickford dedicated gas models made only 142kw albeit torque is bigger.

Mate switch her to petrol and we'll see. Having said that the SR20 is one of the better 4 cylinders around.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 05-16-2003, 02:17   #5 (permalink)
Australian Member

I own a stock 2000 model SSS and for a NA 4cyl they do get along. 0-100 in the high 8 secs and 400m in 16 secs. Which is around the same as an average 6cyl auto Falcon/Commodore.

Of course put a few people in and the Ford would easily pull away. But the thing most people are amazed at is the top speed, 221kmh.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:20   #6 (permalink)
Mountain man'

haha yeah thats true when i have my car running on petrol i always nearly crash cause of the power difference, when im on LPG just isent the same i got auto XD and on lpg it only revs to 4000 rpm, but when on petrol go's all the way to 6000 rpm
Old 05-16-2003, 15:23   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I narrowly beat a SSS on the 1/4 mile - only by .01 sec. This was in a stock EA 5 speed multi point. if it were a race to 180 i think it would have been even as at 140 he was slightly gaining but those things run out of gears.
Old 05-16-2003, 17:37   #8 (permalink)
RACE

As a former owner of an N15II Pulsar SSS I can see how this could have happened. It has been underestimated by many on the roads.
Old 05-16-2003, 22:44   #9 (permalink)
Australian Member

NZ the SSS won't run out of gears, it will keep running all the way to its 220kmh top speed which is 10kmh more than the EA. I know someone who has done it Once you get over 170-180 it starts to drop off but probably no worse than the heavier falcon.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:01   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Yeah. Ive driven a couple when I was living in NZ and they do go well. I guess for a power to weight ratio both cars would be the same in my example. From memory the SR20DE is around 120kw. No idea of its torque. Id guess they are around the 1000 - 1100kg mark?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub