Melb. to Adelaide and back. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 01:18   #1 (permalink)

Melb. to Adelaide and back.

Just thought I might share some thoughts and observations on our family trip to Adelaide from Melbourne and back having just returned this afternoon. Firstly I tried my gut busting best to hire a Falcon wagon as this is the car we will be ordering next week. No luck and was absolutely lucky to get a Magna wagon, (Series II with 129 Km on the odo.) Thank god for cruise control otherwise I would have definitely been nabbed as in Victoria we have a speed tolerance of 3 km/h and your booked! Secondly the Magna wagon did the trip easily with more than enough power for overtaking those B doubles although the front end float as you floored it with the weight tranferring to the rear took some getting used to initially. The steering lightened up quickly and it was easy to sway left or right over the road camber changes as you moved past the centre point of the road.

BA Falcons (vs VY's) completely dominated in numbers throughout our 9 days away both in Vic and SA. Surprisingly saw only 3 VY hire cars to triple the number of fords and because we stopped over night in Horsham (11 week old newborns don't like more than 3 hours sleep/feedings at a time) our trip was leisurely and allowed much roadside spotting. For example spent 1 hour outside roadhouse in Keith (SA) with engine idling and air-con on as baby fed. I was surprised at the lack of VY's I saw anywhere, of course this was relative to our travels and time.

The minute you hit the SA border the road quality was CRAP until after Bordertown. Totally choppy or uneven and a great deal louder with tyre noise/rumble. Any BA XR is a head turner on the move or parked. Equally, bayside Adelaide is a great place to holiday (for a familyman with dark glasses of course)

On returning home after 9 days and a total of 2000 Km couldn't believe my eyes when I found an acid-rush coloured BA Ghia parked out the front with a neighbor's friend having come round to show it off. (lucky-bastard!!)
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2003, 17:04   #2 (permalink)

Hope you enjoyed adelaide,and yes their are more BA's on the road here than VY,not bad for a holden town.With many more to come with the XR8 & GT.
fordxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 17:51   #3 (permalink)
Rail Rider

My trip to brissy I saw about 2-1 in VY favour but the BA's I saw were mostly XR's and damn they look good on the road!

I also found it hard to tell a VY to a VX at a distance (front on) but you can spot a BA instantly.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:44   #4 (permalink)

I loved Adelaide since my last trip was as a single uni student and managed to afford (read shared) the Hilton hotel in CBD. Only recent gripe is lack of 24hr or late night shopping in the suburbs. We stayed at West Lakes and the late night nappy run was bloody hard after 7.00pm!

I agree with your comment about Adelaide being Holden town and yet lack of new Vy's on the road. I actually felt Adelaide was more Mitsibishi territory as I saw a hell of a lot more Magna's in suburban driveways.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:02   #5 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Its interesting, I recently went on a trip up to the Sunshine Coast in QLD and back in the BA XR6. On the way up we didn't see one XR, quite a few BA's however no XRs. Yet on the way back we saw heaps of BA XR's. Also since I have been back I have noticed plenty of XR's getting about. A few turbos as well. Great to see Ford is getting these cars on the road.
Old 01-06-2003, 13:15   #6 (permalink)
gone

Well at least adelaide has a decent indoor gun range where if you go often enough you get to view some strange sights... aka a lady of 25, approx 10 stone, getting knocked over while shooting a shotgun and discharging the secound round into the ceiling....

Never seen so many people duck at once!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 14:35   #7 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Re: Melb. to Adelaide and back.

Quote:
Originally posted by Curls
The minute you hit the SA border the road quality was CRAP until after Bordertown. Totally choppy or uneven and a great deal louder with tyre noise/rumble.
I found that too, it's funny they think that road safer though. As soon as you cross the border the speed limit instantly goes up too...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub