Mitsubishi likely to withdraw car production in Australia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2001, 19:57   #1 (permalink)

Mitsubishi likely to withdraw car production in Australia

see http://news.ninemsn.com.au/business/story_16478.asp
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2001, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Saving for a BA XR6t

F * CKING hell I really hope that doesnt go ahead. MMAL make good cars, we've had five Magna's\Verada's and they've been really good cars. They have done everything we asked for.

They may be FWD and without 220kw but if you dont mind that then we've found them to be good cars. And wasn't it good to see the VR-X scare? Of course we all know the RWD V8's are capable of much more but it was good to see Mitsubishi AU [GASP] competing in the performance car race?

oh well, mabye they will import the Galant if it goes ahead.
Old 07-31-2001, 21:19   #3 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

mad

This could be just posturing from th Japanese, knowing that Howard faces and election & that he will be visiting, its probably designed to put pressure on for more concessions. My info. is that the US/German guys are happier with Mitsu. OZ than they are with Mitsu. Japan, remember it was a Chrysler plant originally!
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 21:31   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Lets hope this doesn't happen 'cause there'll be a lot of folks out on their arse if it does.. Not good news employment wise... :(
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 22:46   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I got a phone call for one of those Nielson survey things on the weekend and they asked which companies I thought were going to be manufacturing cars in Australia long term. I said Ford, Mitsu, Holden. They said "You don't think Toyota will?" I said hell no, they have to give those Avalon pieces of S**t away. (LOL)

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
MadMax

Bring back chrysler - make it the big three again (or 2 1/4, Holden aint the full quid) - id go a new Charger over a magna any day........
Old 07-31-2001, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

I don't see why Mitsubishi Australia should pay for Mitsubishi Japans cover up.. Why not trim 25,000 people in japan, thats what they need to do. When nissan pulled out of Australia, it didn't magically stop the red ink. Its not the Australian subsiduary that has the major problem, its the Japanese management, look at what Goshins doing to nissan. Surely the car plant in OZ has to be good to Diamler-Chrylser-Mitsubishi in some way.

I doubt its real tho.

However Mitsubishi is acting ALOT like nissan did before the pull out, with a special model, with japanese brakes, a hyped up naturally asperated motor, body kit. Nissan did that, they called it the GTS.

Maybe Mitsubishi and Chrysler will sell a two door rwd V8 coupe made from the origional Chrysler OZ factory..

Then again maybe they will make a EFI DOHC 24 valve Hemi Six pack and stick that in there..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

I think its sad, because i really like mistu, I dont have anything against them, and think its important for the economy that they stay!

On the other hand, why dont holden piss the **** off......
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn
On the other hand, why dont holden piss the **** off......
Hehe.. too true man.. :D But then again.. we'd have no-one to pick on all the time..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 19:03   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I got a phone call for one of those Nielson survey things on the weekend and they asked which companies I thought were going to be manufacturing cars in Australia long term. I said Ford, Mitsu, Holden. They said "You don't think Toyota will?" I said hell no, they have to give those Avalon pieces of S**t away. (LOL)
I agree there, out of Mitsubishi and Toyota, i'd take the mitsubishi heaps better styling than Toyota. the latest VRX and Sports are nice and much enjoyable to drive and look at than the Avalon/Camry.
I might add the Mitsu V6 3.5 sounds niice too.

I think the only Toyota product that does it for me is the Supra RZ or GS400.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub