Mitsubishi Verada 2000 onwards - Personal opinions! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 18:42   #1 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Mitsubishi Verada 2000 onwards - Personal opinions!

Like the Subaru Liberty thread, just want to know what people think of the verada's as a daily driver? Particularly the KJ models onward. I know I can pick these cars up very cheap now. Estimating between 20-24k for a car thats done in the vicinity of 30-80,000k's on the clock. Yes, thats right Ive checked on the carpoint website and thats what car yards are asking for them.

Now if they are asking that sort of price range, is it because they are lemons, or is it because there are a heap of them?

Please place personal comments & experiences below.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 21:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mitsubishi Verada 2000 onwards - Personal opinions!

Go to the auctions and pay 16 grand, nice car, might have problems getting parts in the near future tho!
baxr6na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 21:58   #3 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

I would go the Subaru Liberty you were looking at over the Magna. The Magna is bigger, but it is FWD, compared to AWD for the Subaru. Also, you might have trouble with servicing and parts if Mitsubishi close, but you should be fine.

A brand new Verada is about $44,000 plus on-roads, thats why they are cheap.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 22:46   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Just don't. One of the most poorly built and unreliable cars you could buy. Buying a Magna is like putting money in a toilet and flushing it. Why do you think the company is leaving the country?
Old 05-18-2004, 23:18   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

baxr6na - thanks for the tip. I dont mind paying those prices for the verada, but its not being able to test drive that concerns me.

Aaron - yes well I have a 2000 liberty wagon in my possesion at the moment but its only a 2.0L and Im finding the car very gutless to drive around in. Im gonna take the mrs for a drive tonight to give her the chance to drive it and see how she feels in it. I personally love the ride and comfort of it and the way it handls is awesome.
As far as mitsu is concerned, I guess we'll all have to wait and see with the factory, but when will that be? And will parts for a 00-01 model verada be that scarce?

Steffo - Are you serious when making that comment? Are the verada's really that bad even compared to an equal year in a subaru? Only reason Im looking at the magnas is:
1. they are priced very reasonably
2. they have more power from standard
3. they have a little bit more backseat space
4. parts can be a little cheaper currently
5. seem to have more features

The good points Ive found in the subaru are:
1. excellent handling & braking
2. fantastic turning circle
3. love the creature comforts.
4. reliable name by reputation.
5. excellent reviews allround.

Negative points of the verada I have found compared to subaru are:
1. worse resale than subaru
2. build reputation isnt as good.
3. front wheel drive only. (well the model Im looking at is)
4. probable reliability issues.

Negative issues I found with the liberty over the verada are:
1. Smaller cabin space
2. really sluggish to get moving
3. more initial expense

Is there anything else Im forgetting that I need to consider?
Old 05-18-2004, 23:24   #6 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Well, if the five or six people I know who have owned a Magna/Verada are anything to go by, yes they're that bad.

One of my freinds has a 2001 Magna 3.5 V6... it has problems ranging from mechanical to parts of the body literally coming off and some rust, in three years!

Another friend of mine had a Magna for 6 months in 1994. After spending 3 months at the dealership fixing mechanical faults, he traded it on a Volvo 850 GLT 20V which he still drives today problem free.

Another lady I know has a 1994 Verada V6 which spends more time off the road then on it. She catches the bus to work instead of fixing the car most of the time.

I'll ask them about their problems in greater detail so I can provide you with better info. But my opinion stays firm. Subaru = God. Magna = Dog.
Old 05-18-2004, 23:38   #7 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Well, if the five or six people I know who have owned a Magna/Verada are anything to go by, yes they're that bad.

One of my freinds has a 2001 Magna 3.5 V6... it has problems ranging from mechanical to parts of the body literally coming off and some rust, in three years!

Another friend of mine had a Magna for 6 months in 1994. After spending 3 months at the dealership fixing mechanical faults, he traded it on a Volvo 850 GLT 20V which he still drives today problem free.

Another lady I know has a 1994 Verada V6 which spends more time off the road then on it. She catches the bus to work instead of fixing the car most of the time.

I'll ask them about their problems in greater detail so I can provide you with better info. But my opinion stays firm. Subaru = God. Magna = Dog.
Thanks for your honesty Steffo, I see now why you stayed away from them. Even though your reports were based on others experience, werent the magnas that your friends were driving mid 90's apart from 1? Im quite shocked and surprised at that 2001 magna you expressed was a lemon. I do however agree with you about the mid 90's models though, they are pretty bad as I have a friend who had a TR which was always needing work. She ended up getting rid of it and getting a late 90's camry. Havent had issues with that since. I think they were trying to sell it now coz they just bought a
Emina Esteema or something like that. Its a turbo diesel import version of a tarago. But my point is that since they got rid of the magna they havent had as many issues. Go figure!
Old 05-18-2004, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
{';'}

Hey blueoval, is a Maxima on your 'maybe' list? They look pretty nice on the road and are very comfortable - 'specially with full leather =) Not to mention their verrrrry silky smooth engine. Aren't they meant to be one of Nissan's best V6s?

BTW, are you still doing the sleeper AU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 23:54   #9 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Hey blueoval, is a Maxima in your 'maybe' list? They look pretty nice on the road and are very comfortable - 'specially with full leather =) Not to mention their verrrrry silky smooth engine. Aren't they meant to be one of Nissan's best V6s?

BTW, are you stilling doing the sleeper AU?
Ive looked into the Maxima's but the only ones I like is the latest model and that for me is outta price range. The earlier ones done appeal in the way of looks.

The AU sleeper project is gonna be on hold for quite a while, as priorities have taken precedence right now.
Old 05-19-2004, 00:21   #10 (permalink)

I will lend my advise, as i used to work for a Japanese car parts importing place.

The statement that the parts will get scarce later on is rubbish, as the Magnas/Verada's were sold in the USA as well and there are that many in Aust that parts will not dry up.

Comparing a 90 (TR/KR, TS/KS) with a 2000 plus magna is like comparing a 1979 XD Falcon 500 with a Ford TS50.
The differences between the two are huge.
The problems with the 90 magnas, was everything...but mostly the engine,gearbox, and CV shafts.
The problems are far less with the proposed 2000+ magna you are looking to buy.
The engines are 10 times better (V6's we are talking about), but the gearboxes still have the same problems eventually, especially the gearbox computer which go very very often. ($300-$400) to fix.
The electrics are far superior in the late models, which was a huge problem with the 90's models.
I would get a V6 2000+ model, but only if it has been treated above average (the body will tell you this), check the gear changes in the auto though, and make sure they are very very smooth, if not stay away, run don't walk.
For the money you are going to spend on a good condition magna or verada, a little bit more can get you a nice TS50.....(just joking)
TICK4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub