Model cars. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2002, 02:02   #1 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Model cars.

I'm doing a 1957 Ford Fairlane Hardtop Custom/Dragster. What colour(s) should I paint it, and if you have any experience painting model cars, please post, as I need all the help I can get.
Here is a picture of a stocker 500
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 02:07   #2 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Hete's another one...
Old 08-12-2002, 02:07   #3 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Here's another one...
Old 08-12-2002, 02:50   #4 (permalink)
3FB Food Press

Red and white. Black maybe easier though or another single colour. Use spray cans but sit the can in warm water for a while first. Spray in fine coats. Sand the body before you spray using about 500 wet and dry. Finish with 1000. Wash the body with water with very mild detergent. Rinse really well and make sure it is very dry before painting. Be patient and dont rush it. The engine etc is easy enough to hand paint unless you are really keen.
Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 03:24   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

When I was doing models, I used to spray them with car touch up cans from Kmart. It was cheaper to buy a large can of that and a better range of colours than a small can of model paint.

HOWEVER, you need to coat it with model paint first as normal car paint will ruin the plastic. I'd spray with silver model paint to cover it then several coats of car paint, to get a really good finish.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:15   #6 (permalink)

The spray paint that you can get from Supercheap works ok, plus theres a huge variety of colours. BUT like what Jamie said it will react with the plastic if a suitable undercoat isnt used.
I tried the 'plastic undercoat' (clear) and that reacted just as bad as the straight colour, but strangely the standard undercoat(flat grey) worked ok.
As long as the susequent top coats arnt too thick, then any kind of reaction with the plastic is minimal.

Theres also a floor polish that apparently gives a fantastic shine, protection and fills in any minor scratches when applying it over the final top coat, I havnt tried it yet, but if anyone wants? I can post up the brand and the method of application.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 04:23   #7 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

ford.boy - what exactly would u like to know???
I take it you will be using the AMT Ertl kit?? I got one sitting right next to my computer at the moment, as a "work in progress"I've customised it just a little with a supercharged 427, & trytech billet mags..
I haven't as yet painted the body, however it will be being painted a metallic orange/gold with a gold pearl overcoat.
The 'laines also look awesome in a deep "grape" purple metallic too.
As for what paints to use, I use an airbrush, however I have had some good results using the tamiya sprays. If you're a novice I'd tend to try steering away from non model orientated paints as they can be a little tricky & sometimes be too HOT for the plastic, turning a fun project into a molten mess.....
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 00:59   #8 (permalink)
Barra

Since were talking about models, does anyone know when BBurago will release the Ferrari Enzo Ferrari ( its a stupid name too)
Old 08-14-2002, 15:34   #9 (permalink)
Crikey

As far as I know the official name of the car is just Ferrari Enzo
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:28   #10 (permalink)
Barra

um.. are you sure. I'm pritty sure its Ferrair Enzo Ferrari. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub