Modern Classic Pocket Rocket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 22:37   #1 (permalink)

biggrin Modern Classic Pocket Rocket

In the near future I will be restoring a 1967 Morris Mini Panel Van which will be...unique!

I'm planning to replace the .85L Motor with a Honda 1.6L (B16A), which will hopefully bump the horsepower from about 80 to 160 (with ease)...and the van only weighs approx. 700kg!

This engine conversion has been done alot in the UK, and I've heard some people in Melbourne have also done it. A full conversion kit can be purchased from Watson's Rally in the UK for about 2000 pound...link to watsons: www.watsonsrally.co.uk

Has anyone seen or heard about these conversions been done in Aust?? If, so, has it been done through a conversion kit or DIY?

Also planning a stereo install...any info/advice/etc on any aspects of Mini's (getting parts, stereo installs, modifying, conversions, etc) would be very appreciated.
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Modern Classic Pocket Rocket

sounds good. always wanted a mini at some stage myself so ill be interested in how it goes. the 1.6 should kick arse!!
Old 03-26-2004, 00:27   #3 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

You realise you will need to import a whole new flip front if going for the morris if you cant get an extended one locally. They need to be extended 9cm to make the engine fit. It could be less hassle to start with a leyland mini pano if you dont already have it. I dont think you can make the B16 conversion legally in australia either.
the swift engine may be another alternative.
I have a morris mini in the shed and it is fun to drive but it really is too slow, it has an 1100 engine. If i was made of money I would restore it and get another engine built, my gearbox is screwed and the engine isnt in the best shape at the moment.
They are an expensive car to maintain.
If you go through with it good luck and keep us posted.

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:01   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
You realise you will need to import a whole new flip front if going for the morris if you cant get an extended one locally. They need to be extended 9cm to make the engine fit. It could be less hassle to start with a leyland mini pano if you dont already have it.
I have a guide from a Keeping Your Mini Alive (KYMA) Magazine about fitting a Honda Vtec...you can actually make up a steel flip front that is extened to allow room for extending the wings. I already have the van to fit the motor...anyways, the roundnose minis look better than the leyland mini's (and I believe they are the TRUE mini's!! )

Quote:
I dont think you can make the B16 conversion legally in australia either.
the swift engine may be another alternative

I've spoken to a Honda wrecker in Melb and he says its legal (hope he's not dodgy!) I've seen the Swift conversion (on the net) but the B16A is easier to get parts for, doesn't have (or need) a turbo, revs to 8/9'000RPM, is bullitproof (from what I've been told) and the Honda gearbox is well-known for being reliable, strong, and has a good swift quality.
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:49   #5 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

just an idea for an engine that would more than likely fit...although im sure you would be the first ever to do it!!

http://www.smart.com/-snm-0135155096...ycoupe/technik

also this is the home page. www.smart.com
small car but pretty gutsy!! have a read and youll be suprised...they are partnered with Mercedes and or BMW.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:05   #6 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

whats wrong with the original mini motor?
add 20 PSI of boost, and yeh......

thats what my uncle wants to do, get a mini, stock as, and add his race prepared garret t04...

reminds me of the funniest thing we saw... a mini on LPG! ull get 2 thousand kays out of it hahaha economy to the MAX!

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:33   #7 (permalink)
ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_WoG
whats wrong with the original mini motor?
About 40yrs... same things wrong with grey holden 6 power!
It may be your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
ST170ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:37   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Even the most expensive mini gearboxes for the A series engine struggle to hold 150hp.
If you do the honda conversion I would love to see your progress. That would have to be the dream mini to drive. Looks original and could beat the pants off of lots of imports and newer cars.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:22   #9 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I'd be doing a lot of research to make sure it would be registerable before going too far ahead with it. Have you been in touch with Mini clubs? A mate of mine had a fully restored Mini van with a hot 1275 in it and it hammered. You can also get dohc 16v heads to go on the A series or better A-plus engine, and Link Automotive in Melb do s/c kits for them. They might be worth asking about the Honda conversion too.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:58   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Put a 13bt rotary in there. Light engine and compact and because of the way they deliver the torque your gear box may live through more than 1-2 changes..
Just a suggestion compared to the honda motor.
I'd imagine it's not done very often though because rotary's are not common at all in europe only really here in AU and JAP.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub