Monaro and Crikey.com.au - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2003, 06:23   #1 (permalink)

Monaro and Crikey.com.au

An interesting short piece from the Crikey news site shows the rush to design a new model and test out the quality control of the vehicle on the public at large spells doom publicity wise. In this day and age of modern computer technology, risk asessment regimes etc how can fault ridden crap like this still be offloaded on to trusting and supportive buyers.

9. IS THE NEW MONARO A LEMON
Nostalgia costs big dollars. Whoever dreamed of owning a
Monaro and was too young first time round, got their chance
last year with the launch of the new model. Only thing is,
it seems the new Monaro is a bit of a lemon if the
Automotive forum at consumer watchdog website www.
NotGoodEnough.org is anything to go by. Rev Heads galore
are unhappy with their purchase but the new Monaro is said
to have almost $400 million a year of sales headed to the US.
One erstwhile poster says his 7 month old Monaro has been
back to the dealer 8 times for repairs. When he tried to
take it up with the dealer, the only response he got was
that due to the excessive number of complaints, Holden
would be back in touch shortly. Still no response.
Other known problems include: power steering, Gen3 motors,
build quality and so on, not to mention the leaking seals
which means your new car gets flooded each time it rains.
Seems the idea of owning a Monaro might be better than the
reality. Anyone else had a problem?
Crikey is still mourning the loss of his 1970 HG Monaro at
the hands of some drunk last year. However, dreams to
invest in a new Monaro if Crikey ever becomes truly viable
are now firmly on hold based on this feedback.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 14:44   #2 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Sounds a tad harsh to me.

I mean we have seen reports of a few BA with similar lists.
The problem is 99% of new car buyers get agood car with few if any claims. They DONT post widely, the squeaky wheel and all that.

Besides the Monaro aint that new, mechanically its just the ancient Big-bum Commode in a tighter skirt, so to speak.

DAMn Im defending Holden!
shame on me.
"Lightning Strike" XT-Sports, Barra182 auto, 17" 7-spoke alloys, Sports IRS, body kit, Spoiler, Cruise, Premium Audio with mp3, Power Windows all round, Darkest tinted glass, Chrome scuff plate inserts, Phone presenter, Pollen filter, Towpack, Boot liner, 4 Mudspats, Slimline white numberplates.
CLICK HERE!
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Yeah, I think that is a bit harsh.

Apart from the well documented Commodore faults, I have not heard of any other problems with the Monaro.

And I doubt Holden would produce a sub-standard car. They ain't no backyard operator.
Old 04-07-2003, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

My CV8 has actually been very good. There was an oil leak/oil usage problem but that seems to have been fixed first time. When I think about it, it's probably the first time there's been so little wrong with a new Holden I have bought!

That's my experience and of course others will have different things to say.

Now, if only Holden could fit a decent auto box - it's a major sausage!!!!!!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:52   #5 (permalink)

Really typical consumer advocate rubbish. Means well but in reality are 'know-all stuff-all ' types. What would notgoodenough.com or crikey know about the automotive world ?? Probably about the same as Today Tonight and that ilk i'm afraid. Similar to the Capri beat-up in the late '80s.
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 03:42   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

what are you all defending? The monaro and most holdens have these faults. the power steering and genIII issues have been well advertised and fit and build quality have been such a problem for holden that they shut the plant down for 24 hours last year to look at it.
Fact is while there not a backyard operator there not a great car everyone thinks they are.
Marketing over substance.
Old 04-08-2003, 15:17   #7 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Then the article should be labled "Commodore Problems", not just Moanro ones
"Lightning Strike" XT-Sports, Barra182 auto, 17" 7-spoke alloys, Sports IRS, body kit, Spoiler, Cruise, Premium Audio with mp3, Power Windows all round, Darkest tinted glass, Chrome scuff plate inserts, Phone presenter, Pollen filter, Towpack, Boot liner, 4 Mudspats, Slimline white numberplates.
CLICK HERE!
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:09   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by carazy

Fact is while there not a backyard operator there not a great car everyone thinks they are.
This is exactly what I was thinking and wanted to get across. I used to be a Holden man and did sell new VN's at one stage but my biggest let down is their marketing.

It's like they rely on nothing but blanket marketing and a bad/faulty product still sells. I'm starting to wonder what it is about some car buyers in this country who willingly accept an inferior product.

I dropped my die hard allegience to Holden years ago when they decided to stick with old technology trannies/ motors and rear suspensions and just kept touching them up. When you see what the parent company in the US has been offering North American's since the VN came out and we get stuck with old technology drivetrain.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:15   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by carazy

This is exactly what I was thinking and wanted to get across. I used to be a Holden man and did sell new VN's at one stage but one of my major disappointments is their marketing.

It's like they rely on nothing but blanket marketing and a bad/faulty product still sells. I'm starting to wonder what it is about some car buyers in this country who willingly accept an inferior product.

I dropped my die hard allegience to Holden years ago when they decided to stick with old technology trannies/ motors and rear suspensions and just kept touching them up. When you see what the parent company in the US has been offering North American's since the VN came out and we get stuck with old technology drivetrain and some good corporate excuses.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:34   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
not to mention the leaking seals
which means your new car gets flooded each time it rains.
HAHAHAHAHA yeah we have had heaps of them!!! its not a seal thats faulty though, its the mating surface of two bits of sheet metal in the front wheel arches that is to blame, they dont put any sealant between them so when it rains water comes in the wheel arch (usually passenger side) and into the passenger compartment.

so we have to remove the bonnet and guards, reseal it, remove the interior and carpet, dry everything out, sometimes fit new carpet, then put everything back...

i once got 7.5L of water out of the passenger side of a red CV8...thats one MO FO of a water leak dont you think???

commos (inc monaros) IMH (but well informed) O are, as carazy said, marketing over substance... i replaced two power steering racks out of 3 commos i worked on today, came in for a service, R&B, and some other little stuff, and got a free rack and wheel alignment too, as the one in the car was leaking...one car had 20,000 on it, the other 50,000

holden quality is an oxymoron IMHO

i might have read it here but in the last 2 years holden has had 6 recalls, ford 3, mitsubishi 2 (or one?) and toyota 0...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub