In the mood for 1000 horsepower.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 17:32   #1 (permalink)

In the mood for 1000 horsepower..

1977 Ford F-150. I have 2 Options available to me. I have a 351W, and I have a buddy that's willing to give me a 460ci. Now I've never worked with a big block, but people tell me "There's no replacement for displacement." In a couple of my earlier builds, the 351W bored to 398ci was able to pump out 1378hp witha 28psi boost turbocharger, and with pretty much the exact motor only supercharged we were able to tag out 1272hp. These motors are both in 2001 mustangs at the moment, but I'm looking to slam some serious horse in my 1977 Pick-up. I know that I can build the 351w, but I have no idea about the 460??? Looking for some spech pages, or something that tells me durations, lifts, valve sizes, bore, stroke, etc of the 460ci so I know where to begin. So far no luck. Not even sure the 460 can push that kind of raw horse. Any help at this point, even educated opinion would be greatly apreciated..
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 12:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: In the mood for 1000 horsepower..

You might be able to find the data you need in Performance Trends Engine Analyzer. You can download if from their website.
DMGCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 15:13   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip, but for those kind of prices, I could buy a cam, or aluminum radiator, or something I need. Looks cool as all hell though. If it's accurate.. Thanks.
Tweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 17:15   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Paul in the 429/460 area of the forums can give you very good info on the 460. Here http://www.fordforums.com/f641/

I would go with the bigblock if you want good reliable horsepower.
Old 05-17-2007, 21:45   #5 (permalink)

A friend told me that the cheapest to add extra horsepower and torque is to have a cold air intake. He used GM cold air intake in his Buick and he's pretty satisfied with the result of it. That's why he recommended adding a cold air intake to me.
kling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 14:20   #6 (permalink)

a cold air intake...that's more of an afterthought when you're trying to get 1000bhp
70mstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22   #7 (permalink)

Is this going to be a DD or a Dragster? In one point it might be best to go with what you already know and have success with. The other hand the 460 could be faster. But at the same time , its going to suck more fuel...so might not be good for a DD and plus you might find its not really reliable or other problems. Sometimes its best to just stick in the same water....but if you want to jump ponds for fun. There is no reason you should hold back. Go for it , dependant on your wallet , if there is a failure you should keep that in mind if you end up having to go back to your roots.
mike_sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 13:59   #8 (permalink)

we have a 557ci BBF at the shop that made over 1000 for sale

Turbo Mustang 5.20 1/8----8.32 @ 169 Stock Suspension Drag

www.realspeedparts.com
rspracing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub