More Ford news on 'Drive' - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2001, 20:22   #1 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

More Ford news on 'Drive'

Check out:

http://www.drive.com.au/news/default...ews/news1.html

An interesting insight into the new AV. Mr Hagan states that AV is the codename for the next version, I thought it was ' Barra'. He also seems to think that AV won't be used for the next model, do we know more than him or is it vice versa??. The sketch of the 'AV' is one I haven't seen before, I guess we will start to see a plethora of designs leading up to the release date.

He also seems to think that a 5.6l V8 will take the place of the Windsor engine, my feeling is that the Mustang 4.6 is a better option. If AV is not used what can FF come up with???, a 'J' series maybe!!!!
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2001, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Smile

They'll probably go down the alphabet letters wise.. Could go to AX or AY. How funny would it be to have barra called the AZ Falcon. "It's got everything from A to Z".. hehe..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:23   #3 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Considering the lettering of Falcons over the years, the last few have shown the most change. Think of it:

XK, XL, XM, XR, XT, XW, XY.

XA, XB, XC, XD, XE, XF, XH (Ute) - at which point I guess we're full circle. That was a span of something like 25 years

13 years ago it changed to EA, EB, ED, EF, EL - why'd they stop there? Was it the 'Doh!' conflict with Holden names?

Then 3 years ago it changed AGAIN to AU - The 'AUssie' tag was a nice idea. But they'll be trying to disassociate with it now that it was a marketting flop. Having said that, AV does seem the super logical choice, and I don't know what they'd lose by using it, or gain by not using it.

Compare to Commodore:

VB, VC, VK, VL, VN, VP, VR, VS, VT, VU (Ute), VX

Half as many years of course, and only a few to go before the alphabet runs out on them. Perhaps that's why they want to change the name to something else - the rumour being Lumina.

Well, it's a good thing that Ford chose a good name like Falcon in the first place. And I much prefer the way Allan Moffat pronounces it - 'Fall Ken' - unlike the more common 'Fowl Ken'.

Boy, do I know how to waffle or what!

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:36   #4 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke Plaizier

Boy, do I know how to waffle or what!

Lukeyson
Yep...:D

Nah, just kidding Lukeyson. I happen to like the sound of AV..whether its because we have been using it for a while now, I hope they stick with it. Like you, I don't see the harm in using it other than if you look at it from a marketing perspective and want to dissaccociate it from AU..
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:36   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Hey Luke,

How come my XG (ute) doesn't rate a mention in the XA-XH series? These have an "improved" XF body structure with an EB like grille and the EBII-ED series drivetrain. (4.0l MPFI and 4spd auto with EECIV and smartlock.) Panelvan variants also exist.

I reckon the Barra will come out as the AV. Seems most people refer to it that way already.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub