More ideas for Uncle Geoff and Brother David - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2001, 22:26   #1 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Thumbs up More ideas for Uncle Geoff and Brother David

G'day all.

Just browsing an old copy of Motor with the gorgeous EL SVO in it. Later in the mag, there's a very interesting article where they took a VT-SS and VT Calais to Europe for their own version of "European Vacation". I can also remember a different article (might have been Wheels) where they too took a VT-SS, but for a trip across the U-Ass-of-A. And stretching the mind even further, I can recall the GTS being shipped to Germany for a bout with an M5 and an E55 Merc at Nurburgring (in which it did remarkably well).

These are all great ideas, from both a local and global marketing perspective. Wouldn't it make a great introduction for the AV range to do something similiar?

It would be great to see a spanking new black XR8 or TE50 wowing the Yanks, Poms, Arabs, and Germans. There's no doubt that it would impress the lot of 'em. And unlike the VT, they wouldn't be able to pick what it was, which would make them even more surprised and intrigued when told it was an Aussie Ford! (In the VT's case, it was picked as a rebadged Opel Omega hehe).

So how about it lads? :thumbup: :wink2:

Cheers
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2001, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeah good point there mike,

That will really promote Ford Australia and compete them direct with say the US and Europe. I'd love to see a TS-50 go up against a Buick Grand National or Pontiac GP, or even the Mustang GT.

The mags have never brought a falcon overseas for comparo's always been Commo's like the Calais Director in wheels 87.
Though must admit i liked the Thunderbird even if it was a 4 cylinder turbo.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 23:15   #3 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Read

There was one time when an EL GT was taken to Germany for a fang. They got it up to 234km/h I think on one of the autobahns.

Camera car for that article was an F-355 from memory.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 01:24   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

The only problem I can see is that the ignorant will say "Ford are just following Holden" and leave it at that. They may or may not pay attention to the result that will inevitably occur, that Ford will do it better than Holden did. I don't see anything wrong in doing exactly what the competition is doing, only better! :thumbup:

BTW I found the two other articles, the Wheels test across the US and the Motor GTS vs. M5 vs. E55. Great reads, even if it is the wrong breed of machine! Seems the Yanks were impressed even with the low-spec s/c V6 in the SS... not to mention the gearbox :confused: :eek: and the "superior" rear end handling (as compared to their own stuff). It seems to me that from the vast praise given to the SS, (a lot of it being quite baffling), the US is crying out for decent RWD sedans! I'd love to see what they thought of the Tickford handling package after driving the SS..
Old 05-27-2001, 01:55   #5 (permalink)
blue blooded ford fan

i saw a uk car tv show on BBC on foxtel one time, and they had an EL GT and the guy was creaming over it. He said that he didnt want to give it back :)
Broomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 04:49   #6 (permalink)

Wheels took an EF XR6 to England back in 1995 and compared to to a Scorpio:rolleyes:, Opel Omega:sleeping: and a Jag:WH: Although it didnt have the refinement of others but the Poms still loved the XR6 :)

Quote:
That will really promote Ford Australia and compete them direct with say the US and Europe. I'd love to see a TS-50 go up against a Buick Grand National or Pontiac GP, or even the Mustang GT
Buick havnt sold a Grand National since the 80s Another comparison for the TE-50 could be the Lincoln LS8 and Cadillac Catera.

When did Ford sell a Turbo 4 cyl Thunderbird? I know they were Turbo 4 cyl Mustangs but Thunderbird?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Martin,

Yeah i read the article in the January or February 1987 Wheels Mag. The TBird had a 4 cylinder turbo. It made 147kw from memory. Yeah seems ironic that a Tbird has a 4 cylinder instead of a V8.
I'll dig up the article for some accurate specs.
I really love the shape of the car, very nice.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 03:29   #8 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Just got hold of a writeup on Wheels of a top speed test of the EL GT in Germany. Not a comparison, just a quick article on how they took one from Tickford UK over to an autobahn for a top speed run. About 235kph is the best they managed, in an auto model. Was quite interesting to read about the reactions it got on it's trip! It seemed that naturally, nobody knew what it was, but basically everybody loved it and wanted to know why they couldn't get one! :) :) :)

A short summary of the review - impressive handling except for the live-axle rear end making itself known on bumpy corners, very impressive steering - very direct and well weighted, good torquey engine but lacking breath up high (as can be expected), auto box ok but a bit vague in kickdown (didn't expect that to be an issue!), but all in all, pretty pleasing I think. Of course, the camera car was an F355, which provided the next best thing to compare to, and hence made the GT pale a little :( :thumbdown
Old 05-31-2001, 01:35   #9 (permalink)

Remember that article well. At the time I was reading and looking at everything about the gt to try and decide if I like the grill or not. No question that any of the current performance Frods would be a huge hit over seas even more so then here.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 11:41   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

G'day. Now this is what I reckon should be done. First of all, I want to keep the 4.0L In-Line-Six. I reckon it's got just as much heritage if not, more than the 351. It may be getting obsolete now (even though it's the most powerful in its class) but do something about it geoff. Put DOHC on it and for God sakes don't get some poxy underpowered riceboy sounding V6. I reckon there should be a turbo option for the falcon range Right through to a high boost XR6 turbo.

Secondly, Id like to see a 4wd option across the whole range. Imagine a DOHC VCT Turbo XR6 with 4WD!!

Now getting right to business the 4.6 DOHC 240kw engine should be an option across the range and I also think there should be a Manual option for the fairmont, fairlane and LTD.

Last but deffinately not least we have our XR8 and FTE. I think the Cougar should shape up or ship out. Either put a turbo on it and beef up the break/suspension package or axe it alltogether.
XR8 should stay at a "low" power figure to give room to It's stablemates the T-series. XR8 should have a 250kw DOHC 5.4L while the TE,TS and TL should have something like 275kw 5.4L.
I reckon there should also be a ute, maybe a TU which I can remember someone else posting that idea :mmm:
There should also be 2 versions: a GT a GTHO to commerate the 2 legends but this time they should be BEASTS!!!
We can all dream, thats why id love to see a Stroked version of the 5.4 with about 300kw and 500+nm for the GT which should come out after each new model while a GTHO should come out every 5 years as a Special Limited edition vehicle with a massive power output, maybe even upto 350kw with close to 600nm and of course stroked out to 351ci, with moster brembo breaks and race breed suspension leather recarro buckets and an agressive body kit with huge rear wing and sticky pirelli P-zero tyres.

I dunno about the Mustang. I spose it's ok for the moment and I know it's costed enough allready to ship the bugger in and convert steering wheel ect but I reckon if holden bring in the corvette it wont stand a chance so maybe as a prospect in a couple of years either, a supercharger like the coupe or a 5.4 or maybe even a juicy 5.8L 351 with beefed up suspension/breaks ect.

That's what I reckon everyone, If any fo you have anything to comment about my opinion whether it be good or bad then for the sake of democracy SAY SOMETHING!!!

P.S. Geoff those Cosworth focus RS's look nice and I think they'd sit nicely in FTE showrooms. Oh yeah, and the Poms will be getting it to so you wouldn't have to worry about converting it to right hand drive so maybe we can arrange to swap some of those high powered GT's youll be bringing out ay :p
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub