More IRS " blade news" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2002, 21:02   #1 (permalink)

More IRS " blade news"

Drive article

Click HERE
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2002, 22:26   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

So we still don't know how it stacks up to the current double wishbone system. Let's weigh up what we know so far ...

On the positive side :
* Lighter
* Fits in wagon (not applicable as a positive for myself, but it will be for others)
* Improved ride quality and NVH

On the downside :
* Cheaper - possibly meaning inferior quality materials?

Unknown:
* Performance - there has been NOTHING said about this new system in comparison to the existing one in terms of outright handling competency. Are we to presume that this factor is being avoided deliberately? ie. the existing double wishbone setup is preferable for this aspect?

Until there is evidence that this new system can match or better the existing one in terms of outright handling competency, I am yet to be convinced.
Old 05-22-2002, 22:38   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle

On the downside :
* Cheaper - possibly meaning inferior quality materials?
I would assume it's cheaper due to Dana Corp. doing the whole thing, rather than 40+various suppliers who all need to make a little profit from each component. Having it built in a nearby factory also means the transportation costs are far less.
Old 05-22-2002, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle

Until there is evidence that this new system can match or better the existing one in terms of outright handling competency, I am yet to be convinced.
Oh he of little faith.

Do you honestly think Ford would put in a new IRS that is Worse than the current one?

Never.

Holdens one will now look so out of date, it is not funny. (nothing new here)
Old 05-22-2002, 23:21   #5 (permalink)
BA Turbo

This system seems to work okay on renowned jags and focus - I think it'l be awsome....!
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 23:42   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Oath
Do you honestly think Ford would put in a new IRS that is Worse than the current one?
That is exactly what I am trying to determine! I would hope that things would step forward, or at the least, sideways... but WE STILL DON'T KNOW!!
Old 05-23-2002, 00:37   #7 (permalink)
BOF

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Oath

Oh he of little faith.

Never.

Holdens one will now look so out of date, it is not funny. (nothing new here)
Just because the Holden IRS is old and simple and based on the Datsun 120Y doesnt mean that is isnt effective. I for one think its a far better system that the live rear end in the Falcon when taking high speed corners with bumps. As for being out of date, Pursuit ute with horse and kart leaf suspension isnt exactly cutting edge either, but I gather it's very effective also.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 03:12   #8 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Neither the Focus or the Jag have dedicated RWD. While we have seen this setup in 4WD models, we still don't know how it will go as a dedicated RWD.

Still, when you think about the upcoming Raptor, you can see the logic in the decision.

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:09   #9 (permalink)
Early Ford Member

Looking at the pic RPO83 posted in the other thread, it seems it's still connected at the top of the spindle with a rod (one connection at wheel, one connection at chassis), although not like a triangle (one connection at wheel, two connections at chassis) as a wishbone would be. There still seems to be a lower wishbone. If there wasn't any "control Blade", (which I am assumong is the red thing pointing out the front) then there would be lots of unrestrained transverse loading, but the 'blade' should alleviate most of that. I'd say that it's as strong as (or stronger than) the double wishbone setup.

After the whole Mr Informer thing, I don't want to assume that everything on these forums is accurate, but RPO83 did quote,

"Handling has always been a hallmark of Falcon, but the new Control Blade IRS raises the bar to new heights."

Although I know RPO83 has been accurate on many things.
XT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub