More speed crap from officialdom (& EA S) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 15:16   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

More speed crap from officialdom (& EA S)

After completing my mammoth essay on the 50k limit yesterday I turned on ABC TV news and the first thing I hear is coming speed blitz by Vic police, including the statement that research shows that 50% of drivers speed. Well, if speed kills, and there's maybe 1.5 million drivers speeding in Victoria, how come we only have roughly 350 fatalaties annually? There couldn't be any other factors at work, surely?

In NSW, official figures at
http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/road_safety/statistics/
show that 38% of fatalaties involved speeding (which probably means merely exceeding the posted limit as distinct from any analysis of whether it was unwise in the conditions) and 21% involved alcohol, which are the main focus of police action and road safety campaigns.

But 17% were also due to people not wearing seatbelts, which kills nearly as many people as alchol and nearly half as many as speed. And unlike speed and alcohol, which are merely factors involved in collisions but not necessarily the major cause of the collision or injuries, not wearing a seatbelt is a sure way to death and serious injury, even at pretty low speeds.So where's the big police clampdown and official panic about not wearing seatbelts?

And one thing that is assumed in the whole official blah about speeding is that exceeding the posted speed limit is automatically equivalent to doing an unsafe speed, which any sensible driver knows is rubbish.

Amongst the times I've been genuinely frightened in a car, two of the most memorable are being on a freeway in peak hour in full dark in extra heavy downpours with sheets of water of unknown depth and unpredictable effect on steering and traction across the road, with bugger all visibility, and every car about half to a full length behind the other and all gaily doing 100 -110k three lanes wide. All they were doing is following the taillights of the car in front, because that's about all you could see in the rain and tyre mist. My options were to stop because visibility was so bad (call me piss weak, but I like to be able to see past the end of my bonnet) and risk being rear ended at speed by some dickhead who couldn't see past the end of his bonnet, or press on and try to increase the distance between me and those in front, which of course just results in a succession of dickheads filling any space bigger than a couple of car lengths. I regard that as seriously excessive speed and potentially catastrophic, but I'll guarantee you can see cop cars going down the freeway in the same conditions and not pinging anyone, because they're not exceeding the speed limit. So they must be driving safely, mustn't they?

The people in charge of road safety are no doubt well intentioned, but they are illogical and inconsistent and we are governed by bull**** instead of a coherent and reasoned approach to the problem of road safety,

I have said more than enough on speed and road safety and I promise not to start any more threads on them. Well, at least not until I stumble on the next bit of stunning official stupidity.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2001, 15:25   #2 (permalink)
"Bloody Beautiful"

Thumbs up

This has become a mission for you. Well done, keep the information coming. What it will take is a large group of people like us here on FF to eventually stand up to this government bull****, and expose it for what it is "Revenue" nothing more nothing less. Take a close look at state budgets, traffic infringements earn the goverment down here in excess of 1 million per week what a joke.

However while people are still getting killed on our roads in the numbers that they are, speed will be used as smoke screen to cover their revenue raising

Keep it coming EA S
TE50 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 15:25   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Keep it up. I read with interest every discovery you make, because I've been there before.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 15:41   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Thanks, fellas.

I was afraid I was becoming tedious. It's not a mission, because I've pretty much exhausted the speed topic, but just the result of looking for facts and speed and road safety after the 50k ping and finding there's plenty of heat but not much light.

I can't resist this, although it proves nothing, but at
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tco/html/facts.htm
our Traffic Camera Office notes that the first motor vehicle fatality in Victoria was between a car and a bicycle. The bicycle was going twice as fast as the car.
Old 11-20-2001, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

I'm still laughing over how the Aussie police force are now calling speed camera's safety camera's.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

We're getting our own back by selling safety pins to traffic cops and telling them to pin them to their cars to make them go faster, because they're really speed pins.
Old 11-20-2001, 16:40   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S
We're getting our own back by selling safety pins to traffic cops and telling them to pin them to their cars to make them go faster, because they're really speed pins.
All I can say is you are always one step ahead of me. I'm scrambling for traction here......

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 16:57   #8 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete

All I can say is you are always one step ahead of me. I'm scrambling for traction here......
I wonder if the Flinstones had speed camera's AP....

That XR with foot power would have been on every stone wanted list!!!

Yabadabbadooooooo!!!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 20:57   #9 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

OK... what I want to know is of the 38% of fatalaties that "involved" speed... what % of them, where caused by speed. (and speed alone)

For all I know - most of that 38% couple have been people who where stoned / drunk and speeding.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:09   #10 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

I think there has never been a crash ever that speed was the only factor, NEVER, that is.

Just cos someone perhaps is speeding, doesnt slow down for a corner, and crashes doesnt mean speeding is the problem, its the drivers stupidity. Too fast for conditions. Can happen at any speed under the limit or over. In this instance, the driver should have seen the corner coming up, simple as that.

Speed doesnt hurt anything, its hitting things that hurts.

Anyone disagree, Put up a situation you think speed was the problem and i'll show you speed wasnt the only factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub