Motor Mag Is On To Staysafe NSW - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2003, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Motor Mag Is On To Staysafe NSW

In the latest Motor mag Sept 2003 Michael Taylor (Ed) calls for us to take action and stop Staysafe (that committee staffed by dreamers who have no idea on the realities of living on the road) introducing Speed Limiter technologies onto our cars.

I have conveniently copied the terms of reference for the Staysafe project which calls for submissions by 29-Aug-2003.

Inquiry into speed and motor vehicles

The STAYSAFE Committee is to conduct an inquiry into the potential for motor vehicle technologies to influence or control driving speed in light vehicles, heavy vehicles and motorcycles. The inquiry will review:
established, emerging and future vehicle-based technologies that influence driving speed
the short term and long term possibilities for improved vehicle-based speed management and control
road infrastructure, digital mapping, management monitoring systems and vehicle requirements associated with technologies for improved speed management and control
the potential role of the Australian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) and other road safety-based rating and assessment systems to influence the development and marketing of vehicle-based technologies which can influence driving speed
incentives that may influence the decisions of purchasers of motor vehicles to buy motor vehicles which use technologies for improved speed management and control
the social and economic benefits and costs to the community likely to be connected with the adoption of vehicle-based technologies for speed management and control
the capacity for New South Wales (within the Australian federal system) to influence and effect change in national motor vehicle standards
results of Australian and international trials of speed control systems
and any other related matters

The inquiry will include review of the following speed management and control systems that relate to vehicle design:
Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) where the system acquires information about local speed limits and encourages driver compliance
Top speed limiting where the vehicle is unable to exceed realistic top speeds for extended periods
Cruise control and top-speed limited cruise control
Speed alarms that are set by the driver
On-board monitoring of vehicle speeds during entire journeys
On-board monitoring of vehicle speed just prior to an incident such as a severe accident
Speedometer scales and ergonomics

The inquiry will also examine and review the role of systems that rely on extensive external surveillance such as Safe-T-Cam or speed cameras.

The STAYSAFE Committee invites written comment from interested organisations, groups, and individuals. Submissions should be forwarded to the STAYSAFE Committee, Parliament House, Macquarie Street, Sydney NSW 2000 by Friday 29 August 2003. Submissions may be forwarded by fax on (02) 9230 3309, or email to staysafe@parliament.nsw.gov.au Further information can be obtained from Mr Ian Faulks, Manager of the STAYSAFE Committee, on (02) 9230 2161.

Paul Gibson MP
Chairman

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2003, 19:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Motor Mag Is On To Staysafe NSW

Oh, let me just say that I consider this to be a self serving and self protection measure for Mr Paul Gibson, the Chairman of Staysafe and MP for Blacktown in Sydney.

You see. Mr Gibson and one of his predecessors both were caught for speeding in the last few years. In fact, Mr Gibson (from memory) fought his offence in court to the nth degree. So, by introducing these technologies he will of course stop speeding - speeding by himself that is.

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 08-13-2003, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

I too read the editorial in Motor on this very senstive issue. How can they justify this? Driving conditions in Australia a much different than that of Europe. Tell me this what happens when you have to overtake a truck doing 90 in 100 zone, as you're overtaking it a car appears in the other direction? Your car is speed limited to 100. I wish these damn STUPID, IGNORANT, USELESS MP's and their so called "con******ts" , along with any state vehicle commission would get it through their THICK skulls. SPEED IS NOT ALWAYS THE CAUSE OF ACCIDENTS. Do some real research and see that speeding along with fatigue, DUI, lack of skills & concentration, etc cause accidents . But then again what do we know about raising revenue. They can forget about me buying a car with speed limiting technology on it.

Last edited by Night_Lurker; 08-13-2003 at 20:11.
Night_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 22:39   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

It would be laughable if it wasn't being taken so seriously by the f*cking government!!!!

Anyway, here is a paste of an email I have just sent to them.

Quote:
Good afternoon.

I would like to comment on your proposal to introduce speed influencing devices in automobiles: the proposal is, unquestionably, the most hypocritical band-aid solution to the road toll in the history of transport in Australia. I find it astonishing that such a theory can be discussed and actually considered, among (arguably) intelligent individuals, when it so clearly is in breech of so many fundamentals of common sense, not to mention basic human rights!

Surely, if the proposal is such a positive and revolutionary idea, then a few simple questions I have regarding it can be readily answered :

Q. Is ISA (Intelligent Speed Adaptation) smart enough to determine or suggest a safe speed for prevailing conditions?

Q. Is ISA smart enough to take into account the physical and mental condition of the driver? Intoxication / drug use?

Q. How can overseas trials on these devices possibly have any relevance to Australian conditions, other than to be misquoted to serve a set of ulterior motives?

Q. How would it be possible to introduce complete monitoring of a vehicle and retain the basic human right of privacy?

Q. Who would be given access to monitored data, and why?

Q. Has DRIVER TRAINING or IMPROVING THE CONDITION OF ROADS ever been suggested as a means to reduce the road toll, as an alternative to this proposal?

Q. If speed influencing devices were fitted and active on the majority of vehicles, how would the state governments hope to achieve their announced forecasted budgets for speed camera revenue?

Q. Will non-compliance in fitting or driving a vehicle with one of these devices result in an additional registration tax, considering the impact of the previous question?

Q. Would one of these devices have prevented Mr Paul Gibson from being caught speeding?

You can be certain that the voting public will have a much larger number of considerably more difficult questions, and will expect answers.

Your dogged reliance on the MUARC statistical database is absurd and unfounded, particularly considering that every motoring organisation has removed any and all credility on this data many times over. Have the views of these organisations ever been acknowledged or studied to even a fraction of the data from MUARC?

Anyhow, I feel it necessary to put my point of view forward, as according to your statistical sources, I do not exist! I am a 26 year old male driver with a fast car AND an absolutely perfect driving history, and apparently, your sources suggest that I should either be in prison, or dead already. Well, sadly for them, I am not.

I enjoy driving, and I will continue to enjoy it, until the day arrives when I can be transported in a completely controlled, self-guided vehicle. I suggest you revisit this proposal at that time.

Warm Regards,
ME
(Driver and Voter)
Old 08-14-2003, 06:31   #5 (permalink)
A shit load of Dim Sims

I'm all for it, bring it in I say, infact bring in electronically speed limited cars that adhear to the speed limit of the road apon which the car is on at the time.

Why?

Because after one year the Government will not have raised a single cent from speeding fines, and the death toll will (not possibly, but will) rise to rates never seen before, all because fatique will become a major factor in most accidents as the driver now has less to concentrate on. This will show all the Joe Publics that believe the propaganda that our Governments feed us about "speed kills", that speed doesn't kill and each state was only using this as revenue raising. Maybe then and only then will the truth come out, and the problems MAY be solved (driver education, driver training, road worthy cars, better roads, high speed limits in the country to combat fatique etc...), I don't have a problem with not having to look at my speedo for a year, worrying about exceeding the speed limit by 5km/h to prove a point, maybe then our Governments can use the Police force for their intended use, protecting us!!
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 16:02   #6 (permalink)

SKIP:
Fair enough. But having had GPS installed into your car the next step they will take is charging you by the mile. Give them an inch and they will take a mile. Stay tuned to that one.

Old 08-14-2003, 19:21   #7 (permalink)

Couldn't agree more Skip. The sooner the pollies do something about the standard of our drivers, their cars and the roads they're on, the sooner the road toll will come down. Not beforehand, and certainly not because of the speeds of our cars being limited.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 21:23   #8 (permalink)

Aussie Pete as a point. All they will do then is pass laws making all roads tollways and sending you a bill for 'per kilometre' usage. Scary stuff indeed.
Old 08-14-2003, 23:21   #9 (permalink)
EXTREME! HAHAHAHAH.. Ahh

I'm wondering how much the government will be sued for over deaths caused by this moronic system.

Picture this, you're doing 100 overtaking a truck doing 90. You're halfway past it and a car appears coming the other way. You can either hope that 100km/h is enough to get you past, or you can hit the anchors and hope to duck back in. Both are extremely dangerous maneuvours. Both can get you killed if you are unlucky in the slightest. Obviously this is where the system falls down - its dangerously taking away a facet of the driver's control.

This system is from the other side of the spectrum. The guys aren't revenue raising, they are trying to cut the toll completely because they've fell for the government's line (or told to tow the line). Whatever... This doesn't make sense.

If anything, this is endangering lives. And how much is a live worth? Millions? Hundreds of millions? I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

I'm in no way an advocate of suing the government for minor infractions and stuff ups (sh*t... they stuff up all the time). But when their stupidity endangers lives, I'll find it hard not to support that sort of action.

This is especially so seeing that EVERYONE but the government knows that the solution is better driving training and better roads.

If drivers are better educated in... The limits of their own skills. The limits of their vehicles. Road rules. Road conditions and how to drive them. AND then they are helped by better roads that are safer to drive on... Its bloody obvious to everyone that the road toll will come down quick smart!

Last edited by xtrail; 08-14-2003 at 23:24.
xtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 00:06   #10 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Xtrail:

Dont forget to ad to that the appalling number of useless tyres on the market.

I just replaced my rear tyres, to last me until i find new wheels, with some that were at my folks house. They would be only a few months old and still have about 90% tread on them. The tyres that preceded them had about 0.5-1mm of tread before the tread markers(hence the reason for changing them) yet, the new tyres have less grip than the previous...and not by a little.....Both tyres are the same size and profile in case you're wondering.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub